Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the first game for all of us: Karen, James, Don and I. Don started off by building canals while Karen, James and I built houses and put a person in the house. Don had the most canals after the first round and got to turn over his 4VP majority token.Karen's person was the one that gave 5 VP if you have all five different color houses down. My person was the one that gives you a $1 if a 6 is rolled. So Karen was off to a good start, all she had to do was concentrate on getting different colored houses down.

The game took an ugly turn when James got a person where if you spend a yellow worker, everyone elese gets 1 yellow threat added to them. Karen and I reacted by throwing away a yellow card to get a VP. Karen would continue this to earn VPs and not have the three yellow threats take away all her money. Don simply let the three yellow tokens hit, he lost something like $6 and he didn't have to worry about it the rest of the game. I followed Don's example on a later round so I wouldn't have to worry about losing money the rest of the game, but it really affected my play beforehand to make sure I didn't get caught by the threat.

My game started to get better when I got a worker that lets you spend a blue worker then you can activate a card out of your hand. So this let me play my 5th card, at the cost of a blue worker. This let me take the lead in the people majority, so I got to flip the 4 VP majority token for people. Don had concentrated solely on building canals, so he got the 7 VP statue token and shortly after got the 6 VP statue token for the other side. It looked like he was going to win the game, and he must have had the winning feeling, since he started to draw cards exclusively out of one stack in an attempt to end the game.

I wanted a longer game, so I countered by drawing out of the other stack. I played a $9 person that lets you take 4 threat before the effects go off, so I was protected from threats the rest of the game. Karen protected herself from threat by discarding a card and earning VPs at least 5 or 6 times the whole game. Don was able to run the game out eventually, and the scores were:

Scores:
Karen 43 (6 houses, 5 people),
Don 39 (3 houses, 4 VP canal, 13 statue),
Norbert 38 (8 houses, ~6 people),
James 36.

I was too busy reading the person cards instead of focusing on VPs. For instance, I could have built a canal for 3 VP (and $3) but I ended the game with $3 in my hand. I also didn't activate a card to give me a VP. So there were a few things I could have done better. I really enjoyed this game, and look forward to more plays. There were a large number of symbols on the cards, probably at least 10-12 unique symbols, so I would like to explore how they mesh together. It plays at the right pace, leaving room for you to try more strategies and see what the cards can do. This game is likely the next game I want to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Don simply let the three yellow tokens hit, he lost something like $6 and he didn't have to worry about it the rest of the game. I followed Don's example on a later round so I wouldn't have to worry about losing money the rest of the game, but it really affected my play beforehand to make sure I didn't get caught by the threat.

Hi, maybe I misunderstand the rules, but I thought once you get 3 threat tokens of the same color you must get the penalty and return the threat tokens back to the supply. If ever later in the game you get that threat token again, you must take it. So there is a possibility in the game that a player may get more than one penalty of such threat.

About the canal strategy. Though it seems very lucrative and easy it really depends on your luck of the draw. played twice and found myself stuck because I did not get the cards I want to finish the canal.
So, it's lucrative but very risky and depending on the luck of the draw.
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, Angrod. Catastrophe "pies" are discarded when complete, thus allowing the player to take further threats of the same type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
Quote:
Don simply let the three yellow tokens hit, he lost something like $6 and he didn't have to worry about it the rest of the game. I followed Don's example on a later round so I wouldn't have to worry about losing money the rest of the game, but it really affected my play beforehand to make sure I didn't get caught by the threat.

Hi, maybe I misunderstand the rules, but I thought once you get 3 threat tokens of the same color you must get the penalty and return the threat tokens back to the supply. If ever later in the game you get that threat token again, you must take it. So there is a possibility in the game that a player may get more than one penalty of such threat.

About the canal strategy. Though it seems very lucrative and easy it really depends on your luck of the draw. played twice and found myself stuck because I did not get the cards I want to finish the canal.
So, it's lucrative but very risky and depending on the luck of the draw.
Thanks.

Right, what I meant was that after we absorbed the threat, the game was ending quickly enough that the 3 yellow threat couldn't build up again to hurt us. We do realize that you can take the threat multiple times, I didn't write it clearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely seems like letting the Threats hit is a sound decision more often than not. If you have a Person Card that helps, then I'll generally go that route, but otherwise I'm careful to weigh the pros/cons of just ignoring the Threat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, just to clarify, Don received 6 points from hitting the '3 Space' on the Canals as well, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Mathue, I did get the 6 VPs for the mid-points of the canals as well as 13 points for the statues as well as 4 VPs for flipping the tile for the canal majority.

I think Norbert's notes are a little too succinct but the scores were probably correct.

A fine game. Hope Norbert buys it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hudyma
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, enjoyed the game with Norbert, Karen, and Don. Not sure I'd categorize my playing the Bandit as a turn toward "ugly," though. whistle Hahaha. It ended up being less effective than I thought it would be. With Don's canal/statue blitz, I was sure that he was going to win, and I was surprised when Karen pulled out the win. It was a close game in the end, and very enjoyable. I already own the game and look forward to playing it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.