United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting little bit here. I was reading about the ratings for the the new TV series S.H.I.E.L.D. which had 12.1 million people watch it live with another 4.7 million watching it on DVR or VOD. That was the first time I had seen ratings broken down like that. I had always wondered how many people like my wife and myself no longer watch TV shows live but watched it via a DVR or VOD.

My wife and I generally don't watch anything live these days. I watch football, Nascar and things like the news live but TV series type stuff is always recorded on my DVR. My wife and I then generally watch an hour of something together in bed before she turns out the light. Mind you finding a TV show that we both want to watch is not always possible. No reality shows (I must admit my wife is still watching Survivor). We both really enjoyed Siberia and a new cooking show called Cutthroat Kitchen however. I have tried so hard to get her to watch Walking Dead but so far no dice.

When she turns out the light I generally watch an hour of something else downstairs while I do my workout. I have not watched an episode of Mythbusters or NOVA sitting down in years.

Which brings the question. How much television do you watch live and how much do you record (Funny I just noticed I used the word "taped" in the title of this thread. Old habits and/or terms die hard)? Like I said my wife and I record pretty much everything and have since we got a DVR about 10 years ago. I expect when we get Google Fiber in a few months we'll start doing VOD for movies and older TV series (Maybe I can hook her on Walking Dead then).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I never watch TV live. And my tivo is dying, so I don't watch it taped much any more either. Mostly it is netflix for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious as to how Netflix will effect how we watch. We use Netflix for DVDs but plan on switching to Netflix VOD when we get Goggle Fiber.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Netflix and iTunes here. We got rid of cable about a year ago and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
DVR and VLC here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a TV but since 1990 only turned it on for games and watching DVDs. I do not have the feeling that I am missing anything. (Occasionally there's a TV series that many people whom I trust recommend; in that case I download a few episodes to see if it is something I'd enjoy, and if so, buy the DVD -- that seldom happens, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
Watched it the next day, streaming on Hulu.com

Yeah, we dumped cable about a year ago, and we don't miss it a bit. Between what the major networks make available on-line the next day, Netflix, and Hulu, we do just fine. Hulu is awesome because it makes available lots of English and Aussie TV shows we would not have otherwise even known about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm not the only one who watched Siberia.

Personally, I watch 'reality' competitions on CBS (Survivor, Amazing Race) live, other shows as convenience allows, and usually anything after 10pm (Blacklist, CSI) or conflicting with a 'live' show on VOD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost always taped, we learnt that lesson when Daughter the Elder was a baby. You could not plan on not being interrupted cool

I would say 95% of stuff on commercial TV we tape and watch later to skip the ads. If there is something on now that we want to watch we will tape it and watch something else previously taped or do something else and then watch the show sans ads.

On (the Australian) ABC which is ad free, we will sometime watch stuff live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't have cable, so I guess my answer is "Neither" (unless you count Netflix, Amazon, and the rest as "taped," which would make my answer "taped").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sports and News - Live
Everything Else - DVR or On-demand

I follow the TV ratings on a few web sites and I have seen ratings reported broken down like that for many years.

You should also know that watching it 7 or more days after the orignal air date does not count in the ratings. It seems the advertisers don't care about your viewing habits after 7 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DVR only
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I DVR my Netflix. What does that count as?

When I do watch TV, it's live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Mostly DVR. We have a 4 year old that doesn't go to bed till 9pm, so we have to push out adult TV till after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Our Lady of Perpetual Yelling
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We still have cable because the Hubster likes watching sports and the Food channel. Actually, I think he just likes flipping through the stations like in "the old days." laugh

Probably 95% of what I watch is either Netflix, Amazon or via a streaming site. I've gotten so spoiled by Netflix/Amazon that I can't stand commercials anymore. I grit my teeth every night as Hubster watches Big Bang Theory on network tv with all the commercials, and threaten to plug my laptop into the tv and make him stream it instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sports live. Everything else on DVR, Hulu Plus or downloaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that I watch live on TV is sports.
That's a whole other discussion, since if you tape/ DVR the big game then inevitably you accidentally hear the score on the radio in the car, or you spot it on a screen at the place that you had to go to with your wife which is why you had to tape it in the first place, or someone else talks about it and you overhear. And once you know a score, even a partial one, the game is ruined.

But, back to the OP, the commercials on live TV have got so annoying, so repetitive, and so overwhelmingly numerous (not to mention 1.5x the volume level of your show) that they absolutely ruin live TV for me.

Since the digital switch, DVR and a heavy finger on the "skip 30 seconds" button is the norm at my place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate commercial with a passion...like really hate...like rant-able hate...

It's DVR, Netflix or games. Only time I have live TV on is for movies during the day, which I do choirs during commercials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
I do choirs during commercials.

That's some dedication right there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can certainly try.
mbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Netflix and iTunes here. We got rid of cable about a year ago and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Me too. But I add Hulu+ to that mix.

Nielson ratings is counting streaming (at network site or hulu, etc.) for the first time. I think they were already counting DVR viewing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dowdy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ditched cable and TiVo a couple years back and haven't missed it. I watch shows via Netflix streaming, Hulu, and the occasional download from undocumented sources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I dropped cable and went to free streaming video some years ago. So, I've traded 720 "HD" for real 1080p HD. And since my computer monitor is significantly bigger and closer than my TV, it's roughly equivalent to an 80" (2m) screen.

While there's a program or two I might not have available, it's not worth the $80/month. Buying games is a far better $/hour entertainment value. If I wanted to watch a sporting event, I'd go to a sports bar; a lot of sports put highlights on YouTube, which have much better pacing than the actual event.

I keep thinking about trying Netflix, but only after the usual TV season. So, maybe next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:
I do choirs during commercials.

That's some dedication right there!

HA!!....Chores...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
What is live TV? DVR owner/user since 1999/2000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Live TV is a must for sports for me. Even if I don't know the result, it isn't the same watching it recorded. There is something special about watching something unfold as it happens.

For most shows it's DVR. Netflix and Amazon fill in the gaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.