George Chao
United States
California
flag msg tools
Press Release for BGG Members - Oct 1, 2013

BBO Poker Tables, the leader in premium poker tables announces a new line of versatile board game tables for enthusiasts that demand style and a richer gaming experience. The game tables will allow players to gather around a customized battle field which enhances the play of any game. BBO game tables also features a matching dining top that turns your game table into an inconspicuous and elegant dining table when not in use.

BBO founder George Chao explains
Quote:
"In the last few years, we've received quite a few inquiries from customers looking to convert our poker tables for board game use - everyone from mom's to hardcore gamers. We were a little surprised at first but it made a lot of sense, so we developed a specialized line of smaller, dining game tables that works great with board games. We are very excited to see how enthusiasts will customize their tables and lead the future development of this niche."

The new BBO game tables are generally smaller in size from standard poker tables and commonly fit 4 to 8 players. The small size makes them very versatile and a matching dining top puts them right at home in the dining room. Customers can choose fabrics and hardware for their tables, including dynamic full color large scale game-scapes which adds an increased element of imagination and wonder to any game. Matching dining tops also allow the tables to be fully functioning, stylish dining tables when the game night is over.

BBO Poker Tables has been manufacturing customizable poker tables for players since 2006 and has been featured on HGTV, DIYNetwork, ABC, ESPN and other media outlets. All orders are all hand upholstered and shipped from their workshop in California and backed by a 1 year warranty. For additional information please visit www.bbopokertables.com or email info@bbopokertables.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your website seems to indicate you have some board game specific surfaces, but I'm unable to find them.

Is this something that is still coming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Chao
United States
California
flag msg tools
Josephus, thanks for your thoughts. In our market research, the sheer number of board and card games makes a universal size hard to derive, however we do understand that the tables cannot be too long or else players won't be able to reach the center where the action is.

We have lead this new market with our three smaller table sizes, all of which have matching dining tops for when the game is over and the table turns into a nice dining set. The size for the X2 Mini and Helmsley measure in at about 70 x 44 including the armrests, which are less than 6in wide. The tables can sit 4 up to 8 players and in our tests a normal size adult should be able to reach the playing surface from the ends of the table, although they will have to reach a bit. For players with shorter reach, they may have to forgo sitting at the ends and move to either an elbow seat or a seat along the long sides of the table.

In regards to the armrest, I definitely understand what you are saying. If you take a look at the pictures of the games set up on the tables, does it look like there is enough clearance to navigate the games successfully? We can always modify the spacing and sizing of components on the table as long as we begin receiving feedback from board game enthusiasts.

Really this new endeavor will be developed with help from BGG member feedback. We realize that the board and card game enthusiasts vary in interest and games played, so coming up with a one size solution is probably not going to work. Take custom playing surfaces for example, our graphic designers in house can do wonders with custom layouts, from simple to intricate and functional. But we are here to help turn your imagination into the perfect custom layout for your private game table. I would also be very interested to get some feedback on what type of theme layouts or custom layouts that BGG members would like, if they could have anything designed on their playing surfaces. We will use that information start developing out a template gallery for prints which will be available to all customers.

I hope I have addressed your concerns Josephus, our products have a very strong presence in the poker market and it would be great to start crafting some niche products based on feedback from BGG members for the board game market. We welcome all feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dauwalder
United States
Tacoma
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tables look great. I was having a hard time finding a nice gaming table. Poker tables look awesome but I couldn't get down with the long oval shape that most of them have.

Just ordered a NightHawk (with the undead chick surface!). I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm excited.

Don't disappoint me, George!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amer unis
msg tools
Hi there. How did that table work out for board games? Im sure its great for poker. Can players get their hands in there easy enough to move pieces around without getting up from a chair?

Are you using the dining room cover for the board games? or poker surface?

thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amer unis
msg tools
Josephus wrote:
I'd be keen for some unbiased first hand reviews too.

I need a new gaming table

I just ordered one today. Nighthawk without the rack tray. Lets see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dauwalder
United States
Tacoma
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya,

Sorry I slacked on my feedback for my Nighthawk. Without further ado....

Short Version:

I love it!

Slightly Longer Version:

I'm a very lazy, non-handy person. I did not fare well in wood shop. By nature, I would rather throw money at a project and have someone who knows what they are doing do the project right, than me saving money and blundering my way through one cursing and injuring myself the whole time.

While perusing the internet for a game table, I of course discovered Geek Chic. While their stuff is awesome, superbly crafted, high quality, and Geek Xanadu-like furniture....I did not want to endure the wait list. Oh yeah, which reminds me, I'm impatient (at least when it comes to waiting for goodies). You can add that to my list of foibles described above. Not only did I not want to wait for it, my apartment probably couldn't accommodate the nifty tables on there that I really wanted. In addition, they are pricey (though this was a minor concern of mine compared to the wait time and lack of space).

I discovered the BBO tables which seemed to satisfy all of my concerns. The game tables are basically re-themed versions of their poker tables. If I query any Tom, Dick, and Alexandra that enters my game room and notices the majestic Nighthawk sitting there, I'm sure their first thought would be poker table. However, there's nothing wrong with that at all.

When it arrived, it was heavy. I thought I could handle it, but I couldn't. It came in several heavy square cardboard boxes. You'll need at least one or two other people to carry it into your place of residence.

As far as assembly, due to reasons I have already discussed above I solicited the help from my neighbor and we went to work. It was not a difficult assembly at all. Two people of average intelligence should be able to tear through it with minor amounts of cursing and frustration. The legs/column are assembled first and the table top screws to the top of the column. Thus, if you need to move it out of the room (and can't fit it through the door way) for any reason you can use the enclosed tool to separate the table top from the column and move it in two pieces.

It's very sturdy, solid, well-constructed and uses high quality wood. I don't regret my purchase in any way, shape or form. It is now a staple in my game room and I cannot imagine my game room without it. The only thing I do regret is perhaps not getting the dining table cover. This is just because I live in a very dusty area, I constantly find myself using my lint roller after each game night. It's been only 9 months (or so) but the table is showing absolutely no signs of wear. I'm about 6 foot and my chairs (these need to be my next purchase) are cheap metal foldouts I bought from Target. While sitting, I can easily reach the middle of the table without getting up.

The BBOs are an excellent alternative to the much more expensive (though really awesome) Geek Chic tables for those who don't want to shell out the extra money (or wait the extra time).

Hope this helps (pictures below)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like it would be too small for bigger games like eldritch horror, caverna, descent etc...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dauwalder
United States
Tacoma
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never had issues with Descent (played a whole campaign). Played Eldritch on it countless times, albeit a little crowded (some location decks were on the poker chip area). But nothing we couldn't handle at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I just discovered BBO tables about a week ago (not a big poker player), and I'm wondering how board gamers that purchased one are feeling about their purchase.

@amer unis, you ordered a Nighthawk without the wood track? So the fabric goes all the way to the armrest? How do you like it? What games do you play on it and what's your experience so far?

I'm thinking of getting one (probably the Helmsley) and having it branded with my youtube channel logo, but before I shell out 2K$, I'd like to get some hands-on opinions (although I'll make sure to do a video about the table if I ever get one, so to help other board gamers if they stumble on those tables)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.