Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Bergström
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Random bombings? Assassinations? Random shootings?

And why does it build opposition rather than reduce it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshi
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In short: The point of terrorism is to create opposition against the government by instilling terror in the population by "showing" them that their government can't protect them. One part is also terrorizing the population until they "yield" and consent to the terrorists demands, basically turning population against the government and for the terrorists since it is the only way to stop the terror acts. Terrorism is political.

This is the "theory" of terrorism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bergström
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yup, I'm with you so far, but has that theory ever been successful? And what particular type of terror would this represent IRL during the cuban revolution, so to speak?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshi
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I know nothing about the Cuban revolution except from what I've learned from a couple of plays of Cuba Libre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
another successful way of using terror is to commit acts against sections of the ruling class that makes the Govt react with indiscriminate violence or oppression thereby proving the insurgents claim of being the protectors of the people

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bergström
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Well, that's another theory - but has it ever worked? I know that the RAF tried it, and failed miserably...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it works very well in many places.

Present day Afghanistan for example, Algeria in the 50´ies and 60´ies, Palestine since 1948 for example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kaufman
United States
Pasadena
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There hasn't been a Palestine since 1948.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Grossman
United States
Grand Junction
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another component is the "Terror-Response-Escalation Cycle" that will be familiar in almost all counterinsurgencies. The insurgents carry out a small attack on the government or civic institutions. This provokes a disproportionate response which often falls heaviest upon the civilian population, who are now more likely to support the insurgents.

It was noticed and commented upon often in State Department dispatches relating to the Cuban Revolution, which described heavy-handed responses by the S.I.M., police, and troops to even the most minor attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about terror in Cuba, but in general, terror intended to build opposition is often times successful. A recent example:

Totten, In the Wake of the Surge wrote:
People here [in Ramadi] tacitly supported Al Qaeda...because Al Qaeda was attacking [Americans]....[Sheik Jassim] was pissed off at Al Qaeda.....he said he would prevent Al Qaeda from firing mortars from his area if we would help him....Al Qaeda said they would mess him up if he got in their way. He called their bluff and they seriously fucked him up. They launched a massive attack on his area. All hell broke loose. They set houses on fire. They dragged people through the streets behind pickup trucks. A kid from his area went into town and Al Qaeda kidnapped him, tortured him, and delivered his head to the outpost in a box....Once [Al Qaeda] started acting like that they could only establish a safe haven by using terrorism against the local civilians....

But this opposition terror can backfire as well, as pro-Government forces use COIN operations and Civic Action to build support:

Totten, In the Wake of the Surge wrote:
One night, after several young people were beheaded by Al Qaeda, the mosques [in Ramadi] went crazy. The imams screamed jihad from the loudspeakers. [US troops] went to the roof of the outpost and braced for a major assault. Our interpreter joined us. "Hold on", he said. "They aren't screaming jihad against us. They are screaming jihad against the insurgents."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the "Terror-Response-Escalation Cycle" that will be familiar in almost all counterinsurgencies. The insurgents carry out a small attack on the government or civic institutions. This provokes a disproportionate response which often falls heaviest upon the civilian population, who are now more likely to support the insurgents.

Excactly what I was trying to say

Quote:
There hasn't been a Palestine since 1948.

Technically correct... And you could say that is one of the main reasons there has been a more or less constant insurgency in the region since then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bergström
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
So, check on question two. So what were the terror tactics during the cuban revolution? "Carlos" style bombings? Drive-by's? Street shootings Collins style?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kaufman
United States
Pasadena
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Technically correct... And you could say that is one of the main reasons there has been a more or less constant insurgency in the region since then...

Since there was more or less constant insurgency in the region before then, I wouldn't necessarily consider that as one of the main reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Profit wrote:
So, check on question two. So what were the terror tactics during the cuban revolution? "Carlos" style bombings? Drive-by's? Street shootings Collins style?

Multiple flavors, apparently, certainly kidnaping and assassination, as well as ... http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/cuba-terrorism.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Profit wrote:
Well, that's another theory - but has it ever worked? I know that the RAF tried it, and failed miserably...!

Quite effective in Vietnam, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
Profit wrote:

Quite effective in Vietnam, yes.

If only we had a COIN game on Vietnam. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bergström
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
"apparently"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I must acknowledge that I was neither there nor involved nor even born.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bergström
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
...but presumably you have researched the topic? (My own knowledge of the conflict is very limited, thus my curiosity...!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, Jeff has researched the topic. I have read much less.

Even with "research" in hand, on topics so conflicted, circumspection should rule.

vfr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.