Here I Stand» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tetzel debater bonus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
darune
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
As i read and understand the rules, Burning books is an action granting 2 counter reformation attempts. If i choose to commit tetzel, I am awarded a total of 2 cp toward St. Peter construction, ie. one from each CRef-attempt.

Can anyone clarify if this is the correct interpretation ?

Also, if I played a card granting CRef-attempts, this could result in more CPs towards St. Peter (one per attemt) if tetzel was used.

From 18.2 (dabater restrictions):
Debater bonuses last for that one Event card play or action only.
A bonus may not be applied repeatedly to multiple actions in the
same impulse.

And 18.4 - 9. Award CP:
Award 1 CP toward St. Peter’s construction if Tetzel’s
debater bonus was used in this attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
darune wrote:
As i read and understand the rules, Burning books is an action granting 2 counter reformation attempts. If i choose to commit tetzel, I am awarded a total of 2 cp toward St. Peter construction, ie. one from each CRef-attempt.

That is not correct. Tetzel's counter states "1CP to St. Peter's w/burn books". Burn Books is one 2CP action that gives you two CR attempts, so you only get 1CP for St. Peter's.

darune wrote:
Also, if I played a card granting CRef-attempts, this could result in more CPs towards St. Peter (one per attemt) if tetzel was used.

A card that grants CR attempts is not the same as the Burn Books action, and thus you can't use Tetzel for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
turbothy wrote:
darune wrote:

That is not correct. Tetzel's counter states "1CP to St. Peter's w/burn books". Burn Books is one 2CP action that gives you two CR attempts, so you only get 1CP for St. Peter's.

Reading the rulebook, I am not sure that I agree. Rules section 18.4 outlines the procedure for a Counter Reformation attempt, which would be done twice when burning books. Step 9 of a Counter Reformation attempt states to award 1 CP towards St. Peter's if Tetzel is used. Therefore, a strict rules reading implies a total of 2CP towards St. Peter's, or 3CP if Catejan or Caraffa are used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not confuse the number of CR attempts (2) with the number of Burn Books actions (1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roundhill wrote:
or 3CP if Catejan or Caraffa are used.

Only one debater bonus may be used per impulse, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
dirubin wrote:
Do not confuse the number of CR attempts (2) with the number of Burn Books actions (1).

Agreed. Tentzel's ability is mentioned as the last step of a counter reformation attempt, which implies 2CP towards St. Peter's. I am not sure that is the intent, but that is my reading of the written rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
Roundhill wrote:
dirubin wrote:

Agreed. Tentzel's ability is mentioned as the last step of a counter reformation attempt, which implies 2CP towards St. Peter's. I am not sure that is the intent, but that is my reading of the written rules.

You have to read the rules AND the counter. Step 9 is executed when Tetzel's bonus is applied; the counter grants the bonus ONCE per Burn Books action. Thus, you may apply the bonus to either of the CR attempts, but not both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
w teefha
msg tools
mbmbmb
Roundhill wrote:
Therefore, a strict rules reading implies a total of 2CP towards St. Peter's, or 3CP if Catejan or Caraffa are used.

you can never use more then one Debater in one impulse and you can use the debater bonus only for one event, and the event or action, and the action is Burning books and not the counterreformationattempt. Following the restrictinos in the rules in 18.2:
Quote:
• Debater bonuses last for that one Event card play or action
only. A bonus may not be applied repeatedly to multiple actions
in the same impulse. (Example: With Loyola’s bonus,
only one Found Jesuit University action can be discounted
to 2 CP. Building two universities in a single impulse would
thus cost 5 CP: one at 2 CP and one at the full price of 3 CP).
• Each power (Protestant and Papacy) may only use one debater’s
bonus in a given impulse that applies during Reformation
or Counter Reformation attempts or biblical translations.
Debaters whose bonuses apply during theological debates
always apply their bonus if they enter a debate uncommitted
(i.e., it it not optional). Flipping a debater to his committed
side to fulfill the requirement for playing an Event card does
not count as using a debater bonus in an impulse. (Example:
The Protestant plays the event Katherina Bora which flips
Luther to the committed side. The Protestant may commit
another debater to get bonus dice on the Reformation attempts
generated by this event.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.