18 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Darth Vader - Crew Member rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Minty Binks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I recently played with Darth Vader on a Lambda shuttle and have the following questions (apologies if they have been answered elsewhere):

So i understand that i follow up an attack (once complete with attack/defence dice etc) with the Vader card. Please assume my Lambda has full shields and hull and im attacking another ship with full shields and hull (for eg a B-wing).

1. Suffering 2 damage to my shuttle - does this come off shields or straight to hull?
2. Opponent suffering one critical - does this come off the shields or straight to hull? (in comparison to a Proton bomb where a critical is dealt to the hit ship)
3. Is this a multi use card? I can see nowhere that it says 'discard this card'.

Another question whilst im on here:

Probably a far fetched scenario, but if an A-wing (full shields and hull) is hit by 2 proton bombs (or 1 proton bomb critical that causes 2 damage), is the a-wing dead??? Technically it has no hull but full shields??

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
1 & 2: The Vader crew card has the same wording as missiles (suffer damage) so it always hits the shields first.

3: You can use it several times.

4: Yes. As soon as a ship suffers damage cards equal to (or more than) its Hull value it is destroyed. Having full shields won't help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minty Binks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the prompt reply

Sorry to ask again - Chewbacca (the pilot card) will only suffer a normal damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
User67 wrote:

Sorry to ask again - Chewbacca (the pilot card) will only suffer a normal damage?

Yes. Any Critical Hit will become a normal hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minty Binks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello again

Thanks - i thought so, but good to check

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Prior answers are technically correct, but missed a point I want to emphasize:

User67 wrote:
1. Suffering 2 damage to my shuttle - does this come off shields or straight to hull?
2. Opponent suffering one critical - does this come off the shields or straight to hull? (in comparison to a Proton bomb where a critical is dealt to the hit ship)

Damage is always handled the same way. The Proton Bomb works differently because it doesn't deal damage--instead, it specifically instructs players (or rather the reference card does) to deal one face-up Damage card.

But if a card says "suffer 1 damage", or even "suffer 1 critical damage", that's just damage, and it's handled the same way you'd handle any other damage: remove one shield token if you can, and otherwise assign the appropriate number of damage cards to the ship.

User67 wrote:
Probably a far fetched scenario, but if an A-wing (full shields and hull) is hit by 2 proton bombs (or 1 proton bomb critical that causes 2 damage), is the a-wing dead??? Technically it has no hull but full shields??

Because the Proton Bomb deal out damage cards directly, rather than causing the ship to suffer damage, it does bypass shields. Although it is unlikely, that could cause an A-wing to be destroyed with its shields intact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minty Binks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the response

It came up the other day and i think we played it the wrong way.

But nevermind, we now know and i'll be sticking with Vader on a Lambda!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the Darth Vader ability be used more than once on the same attack?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shnar wrote:

No. Abilities with a trigger condition can only be used once for each time that trigger condition is met. This isn't explicitly stated in the rules, but a great many abilities are just downright silly if the rule isn't in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Buhallin wrote:
shnar wrote:

No. Abilities with a trigger condition can only be used once for each time that trigger condition is met. This isn't explicitly stated in the rules, but a great many abilities are just downright silly if the rule isn't in place.

However, certain weapons (cluster missiles) and crew (Gunner/Luke Skywalker) allow a ship to attack more than once per turn. Each attack triggers Vader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minty Binks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So you could put Vader on a Firespray with Cluster Missiles and Vader would trigger twice, as Cluster Missiles are treated as 2 seperate attacks?

Lambda doesnt have a missile slot so can use it that way and im not too sure you'll be able to use Vader on a rebel ship, as its an imperial only card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
User67 wrote:
So you could put Vader on a Firespray with Cluster Missiles and Vader would trigger twice, as Cluster Missiles are treated as 2 seperate attacks?

I believe so.

User67 wrote:
Lambda doesnt have a missile slot so can use it that way and im not too sure you'll be able to use Vader on a rebel ship, as its an imperial only card.

The Lambda has two crew spots so Vader and Gunner would work. First one attack that fails to hit (but trigger Vader). Then another attack due to Gunner, which also would trigger Vader for a total of two uses of Vader.

Also, Luke (crew card) and Vader (crew card) wouldn't work as they are rebel/imperial only but would be a nice family get-together...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
Also, Luke (crew card) and Vader (crew card) wouldn't work as they are rebel/imperial only but would be a nice family get-together...

Put Vader in the Lamda with a Rebel Captive and you can calim Luke is the captive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe

Boise
Idaho
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I'm really new to the game and just played against someone who took a Lambda-Class Shuttle with Vader as a crew member and a few things came up that seemed out of spirit of how other things work but as the card is written I can see it flying. So I wanted to run it by others online and get there take on it. The card reads as:

"After you perform an attack against an enemy ship, you may suffer 2 damage to cause that ship to suffer 1 critical damage."

As the ability was used and how it seems to read is: I can perform this ability regardless of success of the attack, and it does not have to be the Shuttle the card is equipped with attacking. Meaning any ship in your squad. Which means that I could technically then get away with performing that ability once per ship in my squad, twice if I can pull off a second attack.

Now I also checked out the FAQ and it says the following:

"A ship equipped with Darth Vader can use this ability if it has at least 1 hull remaining."
"If a ship equipped with Darth Vader can attack twice in one round (such as a ship equipped with Gunner or Cluster Missiles), it can use Darth Vader after the first attack. If Darth Vader destroys the ship to which he is equipped, it can still perform its second attack."

This does not directly clarify but it makes is sound like you can't use the ability for ships the card is not directly attached to, but then again it doesn't say it directly which in most games the wording has to specifically stat something otherwise it is as written.

Some of the comments written above I got the impression the ability doesn't work if no damage is done which again isn't reflected in the card. So here I am posting my specific questions in the hope someone can educate me in the ways of the X-Wing rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the ship with the Darth Vader crew upgrade is capable pf triggering it.

The attack does not need to hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When a card says "you" it allways refer to the ship it is on, not the player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe

Boise
Idaho
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you that is what I was thinking, but again I'm really new to the game and the way the card read I could see it playing that way, so I had to go with the other players desecration. I will know for next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
User67 wrote:

Yes. Any Critical Hit will become a normal hit.

Excluding saboteur, Rexlar Brath, etc. It's only when he is "dealt" a critical hit that he flips it face down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.