Mansions of Madness» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Fan-made scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This review aims at providing a concise overview of the fan-made scenarios I had the chance to play. With some exceptions, I only played most of them only once or twice. I tried to report only objective pieces of information; though, as it was requested several times, I have included a subjective ranking. Scenarios are sorted by date of release on BGG. However, I would like to point out that, with the exception of the Yellow Sign, my top list of scenarios contains only fan-made (even though I have played all but one official ones). At the end of each scenario, you will find a standardized report (as objective as I could).

Plot: (Light-Intense) emphasis on the story (narration) and/or overall mythos coherence between items/map/monster/action/other cards
Re-Playable: (Y/N) Can be the scenario be played more than once?
Linearity: (Y/N) Must the clues be discovered sequentially?
Investigators: best with this number of investigators
Balance: (Keeper/Investigator/=) To what party is the scenario skewed?
Complexity: (Set-up, Game-play, -). What does require more time/attention of the keeper.
Features: (...) what is special in this scenario.
Score: 1: bad, 2: mediocre, 3: ok, 4: good, 5: blast.

The score is ONLY a personnal subjective opinion. As a comparison
2: Star are aligned, Silver Tablet
3: Classroom Curses, Yellow matter, Mind Veil,
4: Fall of House Lynch, Inner Sanctum, House of Fear, A Cry for Help
5: Yellow Sign

Many thanks to bigloo33 for his generous help with the wording and Nicola Zee for his suggestions.

Download the scenarii from the awesome Fan-created Stories geek-list of maltidadad.

Strange House High in the Mist (by Stu Monk, 04/2011)
The action takes places in a remote, foggy area, in a strange house, that is about to fall apart. The scenario oozes moist, dark secrets and the exploration phase is intense. Monsters are mostly arriving through events, but an odd feeling that you are diving into a trap is growing, as the exploration progresses to the rear of the House. The objectives are difficult for the investigators, but the exploration itself is not. It has a cool twist about the map. It has 3 objectives and a linear clue chain.

Plot Strong
Re-Playable Y
Linearity Y
Investigators 2-4
Balance Keeper
Complexity -
Features Twists with map
Score: 4

The Arctic Explorer (by Hartseen, 05/2011)
First of the Danish narrative triptych, this scenario leads the investigator to the depths of mysteries that were brought back from the North Pole. Featuring a forgotten deity, who dwells in the darkness of earth, and the secret that has been kept in the de Vermiis Mysteriis. This scenario uses NPCs (that are called "allies" in Call of the Wild) and has a strong emphasis on the narration. It is meant to be played once. The clue chain is not linear.

Plot Strong
Re-Playable N
Linearity N
Investigators 2-3
Balance Investigator
Complexity -
Features Includes NPCs, strong story

House of Clockmaker (by Stu Monk, 06/2011)
The House of the Clockmaker will take you into a mechanical house that is only inhabited by nasty automatons. The Plot of this scenario is strong, and you rapidly feel the desperate situation of the investigators. The clock is ticking fast, monsters are popping in, and tension is high. The balance of this scenario is clearly in favor of the keeper. However, it provides an alternative route to victory for the investigators. The map itself is a central piece of the scenario. It has 3 objectives and a linear clue chain.

Plot Strong
Re-Playable Y
Linearity Y
Investigators 3-4
Balance Keeper
Complexity Game-play
Features Rotating map
Score: 3

Playthings (by Soakma, 07/2011)
Not so many MoM stories involve children, and how darkness and violence burry their inner, beautiful world. The story is very macabre, and left a persistent disturbing print on the mind. This scenario has 23 turns (so it is a long one). It offers 3 objectives and a linear clue chain.

Plot Medium
Re-Playable Y
Linearity Y
Investigators 2-4
Balance ? (I don't remember)
Complexity -
Features Macabre story

The Incomplete Circle (by Iammars, 10/2011)
As the investigators wander in a museum, they are absorbed by a painting there, in which a whole world is living. Once inside, they need to find the scattered pieces of a stone circle to put an end to the dark forces that gather. This scenario is difficult for the investigators. It has a unique seeding system to place the fragments of the stone circle. This was the first to include a non-linear clue chain; it has 3 objectives.

Plot Light
Re-Playable Y
Linearity N
Investigators 3-4
Balance Keeper
Complexity Set-up
Features Unique non-linear mechanics

Through the Mirror (by Salty53, 12/2011)
As the investigators enter the House, they immediately notice that an entire wall of the house is a gigantic mirror. They then explore the house, but soon realize that something is happening on the other side of the mirror. Step by step, they gather evidence of the horrible truth. This scenario has a unique flavor of sorcery and dark magic. It has several dedicated items to interact with the special map. It has a liner clue chain, is overall well balanced, and has 3 objectives.

Plot Strong
Re-Playable Y
Linearity Y
Investigators 2-4
Balance =
Complexity -
Features Very cool map. New Mythos cards.

All-Saint Asylum (by Purusha, 04/2012)
The second of the Danish narrative triptych, this scenario will lead the investigators to a strange asylum where the patients wander in the garden. By exploring the rooms, and interacting with the patients, the investigators slowly understand what is happening in this remote place. This scenario has a strong emphasis on the narration, and bringing the game even closer to an RPG session. It has NPCs, some twists on the map, a strong multi-layered story that will bring you to the edge of madness. It has a single objective and is relatively easy for the investigators.

Plot Intense
Re-Playable N
Linearity N
Investigators 3-4
Balance Investigators
Complexity Game-play
Features Strong story. Uses NPCs. Twists with map. Dedicated Mythos cards
Score: 5

The Chromatic Crackpot (by Iammars, 04/2012)
As light enters the stained glass, the investigators soon realize that something odd is going on with the colors of each room. There is a pattern. Someone or something is trying to trap them inside the house. Winged creatures are waiting outside, where the investigator must go for their own survival. This scenario has unique mechanics, including a giant lock puzzle inside the house. It has a linear clue chain, 3 objectives and few dedicated exploration cards.

Plot Light
Re-Playable Y
Linearity Y
Investigators 3-4
Balance =
Complexity -
Features Giant map puzzle

In the Dark Dark Woods (by Purusha, 07/2012)
Last of the Danish narrative triptych (so far), this scenario leads the investigators through a large map, lost in a dark forest. As the game progresses, the investigators are lead by the dark spirits of the forest, up to the point of no return. This is a very immersive scenario, which makes use of NPCs, forest creatures (Call of the Wild-like), several handouts, dedicated mythos cards, and tries hard to turn new corners. It has a single objective and is meant to be played once. The clue chain is not linear.

Plot Intense
Re-Playable N
Linearity N
Investigators 3-4
Balance Investigators
Complexity Game-play
Features Strong story. NPCs. Handouts. New monster. Dedicated Mythos cards

Esoteric Order of Dagon (by Amikezor, 12/2012 in ENG)
As the investigators explore the surroundings of an old chapel, converted by the Esoteric Order of Dagon, cultists start to pop in and act strangely. Nauseous, Rotten Corpses lie among the ruins of the small graveyard. The investigators explore to gather cursed books to unravel how the destiny of the small town will be sealed. Slowly, creatures are emerging from the sea; and not with friendly intention. The scenario has an overall equal balance. It has some new tiles, new monsters and the clues can be discovered in any order.

Plot Strong
Re-Playable Y
Linearity N
Investigators 3-4
Balance =
Complexity -
Features New tiles, new monsters.
Score: 5 (this score may be biased in a way )

Spirit, Are You Here? (by Matt, 03/2013 in ENG)
Lord Swan invites several famous personalities to his Mansion, for a spiritualist meeting. Things turn wrong, and all guests scatter. You are now in charge of finding what mysteries lay beyond the dark corners of this Mansion. As you wonder, how many of your fellow investigators are truly what they pretend to be? This scenario has its own traitor system, which makes the scenario so unique. It is light in monsters, and more oriented to exploration and paranoia. It has no linear clue chain, an overall equal balance, uses allies and several interesting narrative techniques. It has 3 objectives.

Plot Strong
Re-Playable Y (though the prologue is changed depending on the objective)
Linearity N
Investigators 3-4
Balance =
Complexity -
Features Unique traitor mechanics, allies (like Duke the dog).

The Curse of the Pharaoh (by Nicola Zee, 07/2013)
In the middle of the night, the investigators are called by their friend, a professor in Egyptology, who urges them to join him in the museum. A new Egyptian exhibition, with several precious items from antiquity, including sarcophagi, is about to open there. As the investigation progresses, the pieces of the puzzle start to make sense. This is an immersive, atmospheric night in a museum haunted by Egyptian creatures. There is no linear clue chain. It has a new monster, a new tile, and 3 objectives.

Plot Strong
Re-Playable Y
Linearity N
Investigators 2-4
Balance =
Complexity -
Features New tile, new monster.

The Mines of Yuggoth (by amikezor, 12/2014 for english version)
The investigators are hired to lead an investigation on a missing worker in a saphire Mine deep in the mountains of Vermont. As they start their investigations, the situation quickly gets bad. Terrible winged creatures haunt the place, hiding a secret that the investigators have to pierce. This scenario has 3 mini-maps, non-linear clues, new tiles, NPCs and an overall equal balance.

Plot Intense
Re-Playable Y
Linearity N
Investigators 2-4
Balance =
Complexity For experienced keeper.
Features New tiles, 3 maps, NPCs, many new tokens
Score: 5 (yes I know, I should not rank it)

Little Boy Lost (by Purusha, 04/2015)
The investigators travel to the swampy house of Old Ammi Pierce that is dying. Each investigator has a personnal attachment to the old man. The secret of this foggy mystery could well be hidden in a remote place, deep in the memories of the Old Ammi. This fourth scenario of the danish triptych (?) has 2 maps, non-linear clues, personnal objectives, NPCs, handouts and, as always, a very strong emphasis on story telling.

Plot Intense
Re-Playable N
Linearity N
Investigators 3-4
Balance =
Complexity -
Features 2 maps, NPCs, personnal objectives, handouts.

Coming next
I will be updating the review as I will play other scenarios.
The Courtyard (by Terranova18) and Zombie Apocalypse (by david frillocchi)

All feedbacks welcome.

edit1 : add the suggestions from Nicola.
edit2: add a link to the geek-list of maltidadad.
edit3: add the scores
edit4: add the Mines of Yuggoth (dec 2014)
edit5: add Little Lost Boy (march 2015)
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillaume,

Thanks for this excellent write up. It will be a great help to many, I am sure. Glad I could help, if only to prove to myself that I *might* have a better handle on English grammar than a non-native speaker blush

Have yet to dabble in the fan-made scenarios, but these look too bloody interesting not to try. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Ken for your kind words.

Hey, I now have reached the avatar geek-gold price. Thank you guys for this. Hmmmm... let's see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good work. This will be very useful for players thinking of trying out fan based scenarios.

I have a suggestion which is to add two new criteria:

First: Complexity
Low: Good for novice players
High: Good for expert players
A high complexity is not a bad thing as it may reflect more advanced and sophisticated options (such as a traitor mechanism, a new and advanced set-up, extensive narrative text and so on)

Second: Suitability for 2 investigators

These are my initial guesses but you'll have a much better idea than me what they should be. I will admit my estimates on the 'Curse of the Pharaoh' scenario may be somewhat biased.

The Incomplete Circle (by Iammars, 10/2011)
Complexity: Set-up High
2 Investigators: Not recommended

Through the Mirror (by Salty53, 12/2011)
Complexity: Medium

All-Saint Asylum (by Purusha, 04/2012)
Complexity: Medium to High (extensive narrative text)
2 Investigators: OK

The Chromatic Crackpot (by Iammars, 04/2012)
Complexity: High(complexity of colour management)

In the Dark Dark Woods (by Purusha, 07/2012)
Complexity: Low?

Esoteric Order of Dagon (by Amikezor, 12/2012 in ENG)
Complexity: High?

Spirit, Are You Here? (by Matt, 03/2013 in ENG)
Complexity: High (Unique traitor mechanism)

The Curse of the Pharaoh (by Nicola Zee, 07/2013)
Complexity: Low
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nicola,

excellent suggestion. Thank you. I will include these two suggestions in a coming soon update of the OP (I need to think a bit more about it).

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Guillaume

Another suggestion is instead of using 1-4 for Immersion, use Very High, High, Medium, Low
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not... What would be the difference?
Simple curiosity: you don't like numbers?

warm regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
amikezor wrote:

warm regards

I guess because it eliminates any confusion as to whether 1 is high or 4 is high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
amikezor wrote:

warm regards

I guess because it eliminates any confusion as to whether 1 is high or 4 is high.

That's correct.

Another suggestion is to replace the slightly vague and subjective term 'Immersion' with the more precise term 'Plot'.

Some people may feel the non-sequential clue hunt of 'The Incomplete Circle' is immersive but (after the prologue) there is not a great deal of plot. I suspect that 'All-Saint Asylum' is rated as very immersive primarily because of the slow reveal of a detailed plot through extensive narrative text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicola Zee wrote:

Some people may feel the non-sequential clue hunt of 'The Incomplete Circle' is immersive but (after the prologue) there is not a great deal of plot. I suspect that 'All-Saint Asylum' is rated as very immersive primarily because of the slow reveal of a detailed plot through extensive narrative text.

Well written. Let's change Immersion to Plot. And I see no pbme in changing numbers in words.

Excellent constructive feedbacks !

edit: I guess Plot does not fit with Very High, High, Medium Low. What about "Intense, Strong, Medium, Light"?

best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amikezor wrote:
Nicola Zee wrote:

Well written. Let's change Immersion to Plot. And I see no pbme in changing numbers in words.

Excellent constructive feedbacks !

edit: I guess Plot does not fit with Very High, High, Medium Low. What about "Intense, Strong, Medium, Light"?

best

Sounds good to me. Now, I wonder how well most of the official published scenarios rate in terms of plot? Probably best not to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have included Nicola's suggestions.

Note that rather than the 2 players question, I have included a range of 'best for x-y investigators'.

Complexity is evaluated as set-up, game-play or none ('-').

best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burglar
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been looking for something like this for months! And I decided to exhaust the forums making sure I didn't see something else like it before I suggested it myself. BUT I really think you should rate them just based on your own experience. I would be interested and of course I know you aren't every player and it's just one person's opinion.

If that's not something you're interested in doing, does this forum have a poll function? Would it be easy for users to vote on which mod scenarios were there favorites? Should I start a thread like that? Halloween is nigh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheeseburglar wrote:
I've been looking for something like this for months! And I decided to exhaust the forums making sure I didn't see something else like it before I suggested it myself. BUT I really think you should rate them just based on your own experience. I would be interested and of course I know you aren't every player and it's just one person's opinion.

If that's not something you're interested in doing, does this forum have a poll function? Would it be easy for users to vote on which mod scenarios were there favorites? Should I start a thread like that? Halloween is nigh!

Such a poll would probably be quite useful, though probably with its own thread and linked to from the fan-made scenarios geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burglar
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay I'll see what I can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a poll is far better than a single vote (ie mine). I don't want anyone to feel upset by my subjective opinion. All scenari were designed with heart.

A poll is much more interesting and objective.

Actually there was a poll here, but it did not work well.
The french poll works far better.

So please feel free to launch a new poll, to which I'd be happy to vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burglar
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually sat up an hour last night and created a large poll for everyone to vote on, asking that they only vote on what they've played, rating each user created scenario linked on these forums or referred herein on a scale of 1 to 5.
Tried to double check it wasn't submitted for geek gold (don't know what that is), but admins mailed informing me it would not be posted as it did not earn geek gold!
Very frustrated. I think it's worth doing, but I'm not going to reinvest that time soblue. I hope someone else feels its worth doing at some point. Thanks for the links, I hadn't seen them before. Sorry for derailing the thread a tad .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
There is a strong chance that if I can deal with layout issues (I'm not so great at this), I may be making character specific scenarios revolving around their background stories.

This likely won't happen very swiftly as I don't have a ton of free-time on hand, but it is something I've been really wanting to do.

Keep this thread updated if you can; it is extremely helpful for both players and creators. Thanks a bunch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you soak man for your words. I will keep it updated.

Layout, you mean artwork in general ?
I can provide illustrator templates, if you need a hand.

best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By layout, I mean generally a professional looking means of relaying all the information need for a scenario set-up.

The previous scenario I made, for instance, was all done in word I believe with the help of Matildadads DIY kit.

I've now been playing around with Strange Eons and will likely use that for at least the map PDF.

But as far as construction of the seeding/mythos deck make-up/additional rules and prologue/epilogues...I'm at a loss.

I know that Tibbs re-edited my original scenario to have a better finish (it looks more or less like a POD scenario). So I suppose that's sort of the template I would be looking for.

I'm currently working on an Arkham Horror project of 8 custom-created but thematic and Personal Story driven Investigators. I have 5 finished and only 3 playtested. But when they are finalized and posted for download, I will likely begin working on MoM again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice wite-up.

I was not aware that there were that many fan-made scenarios around. I think it would be of help to many people to also provide links to the location of those scenarios in this thread so people can access them and try them for themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
Nice wite-up.

I was not aware that there were that many fan-made scenarios around. I think it would be of help to many people to also provide links to the location of those scenarios in this thread so people can access them and try them for themselves.

thank you. You can actually access them all from the link I gave at the beginning of the post.

best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have added the scores as suggested by several players some time ago. Please understand that this scoring is totally subjective and I have no intention to offence no one. If people score differently, I will be including alternative opinion in the main post.

I am finally done with the Mines of Yuggoth (in french for now, but coming soon in english). This scenario took me 2 years of work/playtesting/design/etc. All my last games were this same scenario. I will comment on it when available in english. The next scenario I will be commenting on will be The Courtyard (hopefully soon). As Salty has removed her scenario the Factory, I will skip it (though I have it on my hard-drive, just in case).

best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why has The Factory been removed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Why has The Factory been removed?

Apparently Salty did not like it... I have not played it yet but it looks nice to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.