Subject: Successful Demonstration- overrated? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried it both in BABW and HB decks, and in about 95% of my games it was a dead card in my hand. I finally decided it wasn't worth the influence, and even began questioning its place in HB. What am I doing wrong? (And yes, in every deck I played it I had plenty EtR ICE.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gin Teki
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know anyone who overrates it. It is fairly limited. An obvious example of its usefulness is in the first few turns, if you rez your ice protecting HQ and R&D stopping a run. Another would be an early expand to a remote, possibly using Shipment from Mirrormorph build 2 ice and one asset/agenda, using your credits to rez the ice to protect what is in the remote, and using SD to recover quickly.
Another problem is deciding how many to put into your deck! If you put in 3, to increase the chances of getting one early, later draws tend to be dead. If you put in fewer, you don't see it until it is a dead draw...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Duncan
United Kingdom
Ellon
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still the best thing ever for Jinteki RP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
legroove wrote:

Upside: Almost guaranteed to work in RP.
Downside: You're using RP as your ID.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluff Da Sheep
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disliked this card from the very beginning. I've tried it in decks with lots of cheap ETR, thinking I was wrong because other people were raving about it. I hated it every single time. Out of a dozen games with 3 of these in my deck, I think I got to play it twice.

It's shit. Play GLC or Beanstalk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto H
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really like this in rush decks but only in there. The early burst helps you score agendas and not leave you 0-2 creds after your first agendda during second or third turn. It allows you keep up the speed.

But it depends also how your friends play. If you see aggressive running during first turns then Succesful Demonstartion is very good but if you see build up rig shy running then it loses all value (but you have ok chance to beat the rig builders with rush anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Cow
msg tools
I don't like it that much either. I tried it a bunch when it first came up but ended up removing them from most of my decks. The problem with it is that it's decent at the beginning of the game when they are face checking and hit an etr or a chum/data raven and jack out. That means you want it early so you have to have 3, however mid-late game it's usually wasted as the runner gets through much more often.

It's also a win more card, meaning it only works when you're doing well and stopping the runner from getting in. That window tends to be small and early. I'd rather have something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Berton
Canada
flag msg tools
kroen wrote:
legroove wrote:

Don't knock RP. It's about to get a whole lot better once Unorthodox Predictions comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tberton wrote:
kroen wrote:
legroove wrote:

Don't knock RP. It's about to get a whole lot better once Unorthodox Predictions comes out.

You mean that agenda that once scored lets you choose sentry/barrier/code gate and make their subroutines unbreakable the next turn? Because I don't see how this helps RP in a meta that's prone to ignoring remotes anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Cavalier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using it to great success in both the tournament environment and OCTGN. Here's how:
1. Lots of cheap ETR ice, clearly.
2. Jackson Howard/Thomas Haas in a remote with 2+ ICE. I do this already since I'll need a remote at somepoint anyway. Both of these cards a easily useful outside of making Demo work anyways so even if I replaced Demo with Hedge Fund I'd keep those cards.

Runner runs that server, rez or not that first piece of Ice, as they pass that ICE, rez and blow T.Haas/Howard. Runner will almost always jack out, since they will now be encountering a piece of ICE for nothing other than maybe preventing a Demo, and opening themselves up to things like SEA for 0 upside.

I've almost never seen Demo as a dead card, if it is, I'm usually in a position where Hedge Fund wouldn't help me anyways, since the runner has a full rig out anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Law
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
It can recover your Corporate Troubleshooter funds when you really want to slam Katman, I guess.

I do like the two ice remote trick, though. That's one I never thought of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's working really well in my HB deck. It's not the best card ever, but it's currently earning its spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonid G
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
kroen wrote:
What am I doing wrong? (And yes, in every deck I played it I had plenty EtR ICE.)

My best guess is that what is wrong is your notion of "plenty". I think Successful Demonstration is really really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Lysford
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You pair Demo with ICE that has the primary "weakness" of jacking out being strong against it. So Data Raven, Chum, Howler all good options.

Essentially, take one of those whirlpool combos people love to make, and instead of Whirlpoool, use Successful Demonstration. Then it's great. Don't just throw it in without ICE forcing mid/late game jackouts, then it's silly. (Unless you're going for a SEVERE rush deck. Demo is really, REALLY strong turn 2, so if you only care about the card in the early game, Demo is good everywhere.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thornby
United Kingdom
University of Warwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brendancavalier wrote:
I've been using it to great success in both the tournament environment and OCTGN. Here's how:
1. Lots of cheap ETR ice, clearly.
2. Jackson Howard/Thomas Haas in a remote with 2+ ICE. I do this already since I'll need a remote at somepoint anyway. Both of these cards a easily useful outside of making Demo work anyways so even if I replaced Demo with Hedge Fund I'd keep those cards.

Runner runs that server, rez or not that first piece of Ice, as they pass that ICE, rez and blow T.Haas/Howard. Runner will almost always jack out, since they will now be encountering a piece of ICE for nothing other than maybe preventing a Demo, and opening themselves up to things like SEA for 0 upside.

I've almost never seen Demo as a dead card, if it is, I'm usually in a position where Hedge Fund wouldn't help me anyways, since the runner has a full rig out anyway.

That's actually a pretty neat trick!
However, it hinges on the runner running at blind remotes which they really don't have to (at least not in the swiss stages). Kroen is actually right in that the meta at the moment favours battering the centrals and larely ignoring everything the corp is doing. This will change though when more traps from R&D hit the environment (c.f. Shock!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think its overrated. I think you need to build around it, making a deck that can reliably trigger it. And people seem to understand that.

(And the deck that does that successfully is not typical HB with plenty of bioroids that you can click through. So if you randomly throw it into your average HB deck, you might end up with the impression that its bad, when in reality your deck just wasnt the right deck for it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Berton
Canada
flag msg tools
kroen wrote:
tberton wrote:
kroen wrote:
legroove wrote:

You mean that agenda that once scored lets you choose sentry/barrier/code gate and make their subroutines unbreakable the next turn? Because I don't see how this helps RP in a meta that's prone to ignoring remotes anyway.

The reveal of Sundew has retroactively made my assertion 100%. Sundew is going to work so well in RP. It will also make Succesful Demo better in RP: install and rez Sundew behind a piece of ETR Ice, the Runner pretty much has to run it because they can't let a Sundew sit on the table for too long, rez, end the run, Successful Demo next turn.

Mala Tempora can't come soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used it to replace Green Level Clearance in my Weyland deck, and it's been amazing. (But, of course, I don't run Caduceus, Shadow, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Seeing it during a central run has caused a lot of runners in my meta to back off if they're not sure they can successfully complete a run, that in and of itself makes it worth it to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.