The Castles of Burgundy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Advanced game setup & 2nd tiebreaker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luigi Pasato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only two questions concerned the rules.

During advanced game setup, you:

1) choose side of the board and space for starting Castle and THEN draw 3 random goods tiles

OR

2) draw 3 random goods tiles and THEN choose side of the board and space for starting Castle

2nd tiebreaker:

1) who went later in turn order at the END of the final round of the game (25th) wins

OR

2) who went later in turn order at the BEGINNING of the final round of the game (25th) wins?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kouris
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First question

From the rulebook, "after all typical game setup is complete [...], each player receives a random player board."
So, it looks like you first receive three goods then a player board.

Second question isn't in the rule book. Imho, 1st choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
styren wrote:

Really? I'd go the other way. If you move up on the turn order track on your final turn, you get no benefit for doing that. (Hopefully you completed a ship region, or picked up a good that you could immediately sell, or I don't know why you bothered.) So I would not think you should be penalized for it in the tiebreaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean West
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
styren wrote:
First question

From the rulebook, "after all typical game setup is complete [...], each player receives a random player board."
So, it looks like you first receive three goods then a player board.

For #1: The rulebook does say this on page 12 but it refers to "typical game setup". If you look at the game setup on page 2, the main gameboard is setup before players are given anything. The first thing they are given is a player board and there is a note immediately following that instruction to see the additional information on page 12. To me this means that, if playing the advanced rule, instead of just being given a standard player board at that point, they select their player board per page 12, and then they are given their castle and goods as normal.

And besides, where are they going to put their goods if they don't have a player board yet?

(And for what it's worth, this is how it is played online at boiteajuex.com.)

For #2: It's true the rulebook isn't specific. My interpretation is the same as Thomas, I would use the turn order as it was at the beginning of the final round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Fournier
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Beer Card!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2nd tiebreaker says the win goes to the player who went last in the very last turn. That's how it's implemented on boiteajeux as well.

Full explanation (and more) :

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/630913/tiebreaker-in-differe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Pasato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmwest wrote:
For #1: The rulebook does say this on page 12 but it refers to "typical game setup". If you look at the game setup on page 2, the main gameboard is setup before players are given anything. The first thing they are given is a player board and there is a note immediately following that instruction to see the additional information on page 12. To me this means that, if playing the advanced rule, instead of just being given a standard player board at that point, they select their player board per page 12, and then they are given their castle and goods as normal.

And besides, where are they going to put their goods if they don't have a player board yet?

This was also my reasoning!

seanmwest wrote:
(And for what it's worth, this is how it is played online at boiteajuex.com.)

I have never played on boiteajuex but as usual with the online boardgame the rules are often well implemented so, for me, a bit it's worth!

seanmwest wrote:
For #2: It's true the rulebook isn't specific. My interpretation is the same as Thomas, I would use the turn order as it was at the beginning of the final round.

I understand your and Thomas's interpretation of not penalize a player who places a ship during the final round, mmh... but so can happen you have to remeber how the turn order was at the beginning of the final turn if some player place a ship on own estate. Or at most the rules would have to say NOT to move the playing pieces on the turn order track during the final round.

Falzir wrote:
The 2nd tiebreaker says the win goes to the player who went last in the very last turn. That's how it's implemented on boiteajeux as well.

From your language I don't understand what "in the very last turn" means (maybe for my fault with the English blush). Do you mean "at the end of the final round?".
As I said I have never played on web, but if so implemented on boiteajeaux then this is another good point for me and I will play so during my future games.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Fournier
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Beer Card!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Luigi wrote:

Falzir wrote:

From your language I don't understand what "in the very last turn" means (maybe for my fault with the English blush). Do you mean "at the end of the final round?".
Thanks!

Yes. You roll dice 25 times in the game. Whoever was last that 25th time is the 2nd tiebreaker winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.