Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavin Cooper
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is a videogame history re-theme of Lost Cities. The idea is basically that the players, instead of exploring sites, are building new videogame projects. But they need to build them upon a thorough understanding of those games that came before, the ones that helped to define those genres. The better they understand what made those games great, the better their own game will be. Also they can invest in the development to maximise the success of their game (the $ cards).

With only being able to pick nine games in each genre, I was always going to miss some things. Therefore this is very much a personal window into the videogames that have significance for me. I've tried to be a bit open, picking games I know are a big deal even if I haven't actually played them myself. But there are probably a few games where I've over-egged their importance to the average gamer, or where I've picked a specific version/sequel, because it was particularly important to me and my circle of friends. Your mileage may also vary if you hail from a different part of the world or from a different age group! So please, accept that no nine games I could have picked would ever have satisfied everyone

The games in each category are arranged by date only, it's not an indication of how good I think they are.

Lost Cities uses only 5 categories, but since that meant I had to get two 54-card decks printed anyway, I figured I'd fill up the empty cards with more categories so people could play with the types of genre they enjoyed the most. That also lead me to build the centre markers as cards instead of a single board, as that meant players could use them as randomisers to help determine which categories to play with.

The cards were arranged using Gimp, with artwork sourced from the internet. They were then printed by Artscow.

I'm hoping that in years to come I'll be able to use this to subconsciously teach my daughter about some of her videogaming heritage!

If you're interested in other re-themes I've done, check out my sci-fi 7 Wonders (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/830778/7-wonders-of-the-...) and my GoT/GTA Skull and Roses (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1040596/gta-style-game-o...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome work! I was already a fan of your sci-fi 7 Wonders, this one is just as amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick aka_
United States
East coast
flag msg tools
badge
'Believe you can and you're halfway there.' -Theodore Roosevelt
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a file on the way for us Print & Players, Gavin? zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Cooper
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twinfreak wrote:
Is there a file on the way for us Print & Players, Gavin? zombie

Alas no. Similarly to the 7 Wonders one I did, providing the files for this would essentially create a free print and play version of the game, which allows the unscrupulous to sidestep paying the real developers/designer/publishers the money they rightfully deserve for having created a fun game. One good enough to warrant mucking around with as I've done here

I'd love to make them available, but it just takes one person to to make a problem out of it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick aka_
United States
East coast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, they're not publicly available at Artscow then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Cooper
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick aka_
United States
East coast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I won't be able to make a problem out of it. That's good. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.