Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I inevitably will buy multiple ships from wave 3. That's almost guarranteed.

But at the moment I'm just looking to buy a single ship to fulfil my need to add more ships to my squads.

So which would you buy if you could for whatever reason only buy a single ship?

Assumptions:
- You currenlty have a balanced force for both sides. So there's no need to pick based on faction.
- You are building for both factions.
- You have access to as many other ships as you want from waves 1/2.
- You don't know when you will buy more ships so assume this is literally the only one from wave 3 you are going to have.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
B-wing - assuming you have a Firespray expansion (for the Heavy Laser Cannon). This guy is a game changer.

The same could be said for Bombers, but they need to be flown in groups (around Jonus) to be really effective.

The HWK-290 brings some very interesting support options, and would be my second choice, but I feel you should go for cinematic ships before EU.

And the Shuttle... well, it's an interesting support ship, too, but it isn't easy to use and I'm still not sure how best to use it.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
Hwk-290 - looking at stores, it seems to have been produced in lower numbers, and may be more difficult to obtain over time...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
For the Dorkentime!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are competitive: B-Wing
Plays different, nifty new cards: HWK-290

You want a big threat in your "swarm": Tie-Bomber
You play bigger games where the abilities work better: Lambda
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'll agree with Jeff. The B-wing is the strongest single addition from wave 3. Plus, you get an autoblaster you can also use on your firespray, and some nifty advanced proton torpedoes that you could use with a Y-wing or Wedge (muhahaha...)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ravncat wrote:
Hwk-290 - looking at stores, it seems to have been produced in lower numbers, and may be more difficult to obtain over time...


Although it may not be true I was asking based on the assumption that this would be the only ship you would buy from wave 3. So it's availability in the future shouldn't really affect the choice.

iNano78 wrote:
[....] B-wing - assuming you have a Firespray expansion (for the Heavy Laser Cannon). This guy is a game changer. [....]


B-wing with HLC does sound pretty good.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
I was padding for the event in which you change your mind - because the b-wing and tie-bomber are both awesome.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like the B-Wing and the cards included with it are not to be missed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
b-wing, the only one I got three of.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneart69 wrote:
b-wing, the only one I got three of.


Out of interest do you actually run three of them in a squad or did you get 3 so that you had extra cards?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Juneau
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play rebels more often, HWK-290, support options just opens up many things for your X-Wings.

If you could buy more than 1, B-Wings for sure instead.

If you play imperials, 1 TIE Bomber.

(shuttle is hard to play)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle G
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
IMO the B-wing has the most potential impact as a single ship

the shuttle is the best addition for scenarios

bombers feel like there needs to be more than 1 to make them relevant, and the HWK feels like it adds a lot of theoretical squad potential that doesn't quite translate in actual games, although you probably only need one HWK ever so it fits that category at least
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
Germany
Wedel
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B-Wing of course, for no other reason that it's the coolest model out of wave 3
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll mirror a lot of what has already been said:

B-Wing if you want to be competitive.
HWK-290 if you want something new and completely different.

Imperial offerings weren't as interesting to me this wave...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
I'm looking to get the HWK-290 to fly it with some Z95's and a YT-1300 Smuggler as a pirate squadron in friendly games.

Though i am also looking at the TIE Bomber as a heavy hitter for my Imperials.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really hard. Two of my favorite RotJ ships are in this wave: the B-Wing and the Shuttle. And both of the models look really, really cool. And both of this ships, just one ship adds a lot to your ship builds (i.e. bringing one of either is very doable).

I think I'd do the Shuttle. With the movable wings, it's just awesomeness all over.

-shnar
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I would go with the shuttle. You really only need 1 of these. It offers more scenario based gaming options (escort the shuttle, assassinate the leader, capture the shuttle etc...)

Plus it has some nifty upgrades.

A very close second the TIE Bomber, I would probably "borrow" someone elses to get at least a pair.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
Germany
Wedel
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HawkeyeLonewolf wrote:
Mick-HH wrote:
B-Wing of course, for no other reason that it's the coolest model out of wave 3


That's funny, because I always thought it was the lamest ship in the entire fleet. Just downright ugly.


Different strokes for different blokes, or how do you say that?
I Really dig the asymetrical design.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.