Skel Etor
msg tools
I have a few questions for those who use GIMP for their card designs. I'm also open to other software if that makes this simpler (but free is definitely preferred).

For a card game I'm working on, I'd like to do both a PnP version (low ink) and a final full color version that I'd send to a printer. Specifically, I'm looking at Printer Studio for this. My questions:

1) For Printer Studio, I'd want an individual image for each card. However, for PnP, I'd want to lay the cards out on a sheet. Is there an easy way in GIMP to link the two? So far, I've been making individual card files. After I'm finished with a card, I'll flatten the image, then insert that image into a sheet file (I anchor the image on top of a layer in the sheet file). So, if I need to change a card, I have to re-open the card file, make my changes, flatten, then insert it back into the sheet file. Is there an easier way that I'm missing?

2) I haven't explored PnP yet, but I'd like to make a low ink version to accomplish this. I know I could open my full color card image file, remove the fancy background, and resave... then repeat all of item #1 (above) to turn those low-ink cards into a sheet. But... is there an easier way that I'm missing?

3) Unrelated to PnP vs Full color: The game I'm currently working on calls for the card to be divided in half, where the top half of the card has text that is right side up, and the bottom half text is upside down (there are certain effects in game that have you rotate the card, with rules that only the text that is upright is active). However, when you rotate text in GIMP, it changes it from text into an image (I believe the term is rasterizes?). So, to edit the upside down text image, I need to turn it back into text (which then flips it upright), edit the text, rotate it again, then move it back to its original position (it doesn't seem to want to keep to the same position on my card whenever I edit it). Any way to just type upside down text in GIMP or rotate without turning the text into an image?

Again, I am open to other software if that will make this easier on me... but free is always better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own.
badge
YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like it would be worth devoting some time to learning how to use Nandeck. As far as I can tell, it's the best tool available for the sort of tasks you've described. Use Gimp to create assets, then combine them with Nandeck.

(I haven't used Nandeck, but only because I wrote my own tool in Flash for making cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really comment on the PnP aspect of the game, as I don't PnP a lot and I'm not sure what a person that PnPs a lot is looking for. I would think though that if someone just wanted to try your game then they might want as little images as possible to save on ink.

As far as Gimp goes, what I do is layer everything so when I go to edit, I can edit individual layers. I also make several versions of the files so when I do combine layers, I have something to fall back on. I more or less rotate and text as you said you do. I just do it on different layers. It still is a pain in the butt to do, but it works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Nand
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Best. Game. Ever.
badge
I wrote nanDECK and BGG1tool
mbmbmbmbmb
SkeletorMD wrote:
Again, I am open to other software if that will make this easier on me... but free is always better...

These are all tasks that nanDECK can do with only a few lines of code. This is an example script (commented):

'the size of a card: 6 cm x 9 cm
cardsize=6,9

'the page: A4, portrait, centered horizontally and vertically
page=21,29.7,portrait,hv

'the border: black, 1 mm
border=rectangle,#000000,0.1

'the font: Arial 24, black
font=arial,24,,#000000

'I draw a text on nine cards, on the top half
text=1-9,"Top half of the card",5%,5%,90%,45%,left,wwtop

'I draw another text, rotated 180° on the bottom half
text=1-9,"Bottom half of the card",5%,50%,90%,45%,left,wwtop,180

'I save all the cards in .png files, named card1, card2, and so on...
save=1-9,"card{§}.png",0,0,100%,100%

This is the result (printed in one page):

Another way is linking the script with an Excel file and reading the data from there. You can also add images saved with GIMP. If you are interested I can make another example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skel Etor
msg tools
Excellent, thanks everyone. I'm currently knee deep into nanDECK - using GIMP to create/edit some image files and using nanDECK to fit it all together. Going to link to an excel file for the card text once I get a little more comfortable.

@ Andrea: Exactly what I'm looking for... make a deck and then save the individual cards as .png files... perfect. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skel Etor
msg tools
I've got another nandeck question (not sure if this is now the right forum for these or if I should be posting elsewhere).

So, I've figured out how to link to an excel file for both text and images. What I'm having an issue with is creating some sort of IF statement for the images...

Here's the issue: Each card has a cost associated with it. Sometimes is a one 'cube' cost, sometimes its a two, and sometimes its a three. So, in my excel file I have 3 columns: Cost1, Cost2, Cost3. For one card, the cost may be something like Blue.png,Red.png,Yellow.png. For the next card, however, it only has a 2 cube cost, so Cost1 and Cost2 have an image file associated with it, but Cost3 is blank. nandeck no likey.

I think what I need is some sort of IF statement... but it's got me a bit stumped at the moment. Any help or just assistance with where I should be posting this question would be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Nand
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Best. Game. Ever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What message gives you the program for the empty image?

I've tried with this example, and it works fine (it leaves the space empty):

Excel file

Script file

link=cost.xls
[all]="1-{(name)}"
image=[all],[cost1],0,0,100%,33%
image=[all],[cost2],0,33%,100%,33%
image=[all],[cost3],0,66%,100%,33%

But there are also other methods, you can use an empty image for placeholder, or use the LABELRANGE function, this is an example:

Excel file

Script file

link=cost2.xls
[rng1]=labelrange([cost1])
[rng2]=labelrange([cost2])
[rng3]=labelrange([cost3])
image=[rng1],im1.gif,0,0,100%,33%
image=[rng2],im2.gif,0,33%,100%,33%
image=[rng3],im3.gif,0,66%,100%,33%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skel Etor
msg tools
My script for this portion looks like:

image=1-16,[TopCost1],[pos_top1]
image=1-16,[TopCost2],[pos_top2]
image=1-16,[TopCost3],[pos_top3]
image=1-16,[BottomCost1],[pos_bot1]
image=1-16,[BottomCost2],[pos_bot2]
image=1-16,[BottomCost3],[pos_bot3]

(yes, I realize I should change the 1-16 to [all])

Excel looks like:

When I validate in nandeck, for all of the blank spaces I get:
Missing image file

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Nand
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Best. Game. Ever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SkeletorMD wrote:
Missing image file

I was able to re-create the bug using an older version (1.13a) and indeed it gives me an error of invalid image.

But with the latest version (1.14c) it works fine. Have you downloaded the latest version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skel Etor
msg tools
n_and wrote:
SkeletorMD wrote:
Missing image file

I was able to re-create the bug using an older version (1.13a) and indeed it gives me an error of invalid image.

But with the latest version (1.14c) it works fine. Have you downloaded the latest version?

Yup, that's all it was. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.