Subject: Convinced that the game is for me, but what to buy first? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Please read before voting.

A few months ago I put up a post asking you all to sell me on this game. You succeeded. Now, with Christmas right around the corner, I need to decide whether to buy just one core, two cores, or one core + one EoD. I have ruled out buying two of each of these at this point, or going for the Force Packs or Balance of the Force. Those may come later.

I will be playing this game casually, mainly with my wife. She enjoys card games so I think she will like the game. I know I will love it. At first I was thinking that I would get just one core and then either get a second core later or move on to EoD later. But then I saw a comment in the forums that said the game is to swingy with just one core, even for casual play. Others say it plays just fine. But if core + EoD can offer the same level of enjoyment as 2 cores, then I'd rather go with the former, since I'll have a wider selection of cards.

So with that in mind, please cast a vote. Keep in mind that what I'm asking for is what to buy initially. There's nothing stopping me from buying more later, but I'll probably be stuck with what you recommend for at least 6 months.

Poll
Which of these options should I buy first?
1 Core Set
2 Core Sets
1 Core Set + 1 Edge of Darkness
      60 answers
Poll created by sdrewthomson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 Core sets. You'd be surprised how much replay value deck building adds to the game, it allows you to mix and match Objective sets, so while you may have a deck that is 5x2 or 4x2 and 2x1 objective sets, that immediately means that there are objective sets that you aren't using. So it gives you a chance to try out different strategies and see how different Objective sets influence the battlefield. It allows you to focus on ships/units and generally get the most out of the Core Set.

That and it's a must (from my experience) to have 2x Solo/Leia and every other character in the set as it means you are more likely to see them appear over the course of a game. It's more fun to throw a Palpatine into battle, having it wreck the light side for a bit before eventually dying, only to drop another Palpatine during your next turn to annoy the light side player even more.

That and having 2 Hans or other light side charcters means that if one is instantly nuked by Force Lightning, you can be reassured that another copy is only a draw or two away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
So with that in mind, please cast a vote. Keep in mind that what I'm asking for is what to buy initially. There's nothing stopping me from buying more later, but I'll probably be stuck with what you recommend for at least 6 months.

Initially, I would say one, unless you are 100% sure you're going to like it. It is wild and inconsistent with one Core, but it will still give you the feel for the game. After giving it a fair shake, you'll know if you like it or not, and at that point I would say add the second Core. There's more variety in Edge of Darkness, but the game comes into its own when you can tailor the decks as your own and are able to double up on your key units.

If you know you're going to buy in (I did from the start due to theme), grab that second Core from the get-go. It's probably still going to be a good idea to get your feet wet with the suggested single Core starters from the rules, but after getting the mechanics down, open up that second copy and mix it in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordinarily I'd just recommend a single core set to start with. If you're literally going to be unable to buy any more for six months, but have the money to, then I might suggest getting a second Core set, but, usually I'd hold off on that until you've had a few games under your belt and decided if you really like the game or not.

I'd prioritize a second core set over a copy of Edge of Darkness, and simply go for the plunge with two sets of EoD at once, if it's something you want. If you find yourself uninterested with deckbuilding in general and want to stick to the starters, then a single EoD would work for your interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
Ordinarily I'd just recommend a single core set to start with. If you're literally going to be unable to buy any more for six months, but have the money to, then I might suggest getting a second Core set, but, usually I'd hold off on that until you've had a few games under your belt and decided if you really like the game or not.

I hear that last bit of advice a lot in these forums. Here's a question:

After playing with just one core set, will I truly be in a position to know whether I like the game or not? I will not have fully experienced what it has to offer yet.

Thanks to everyone for your votes and replies thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
After playing with just one core set, will I truly be in a position to know whether I like the game or not?

It's tricky, because this is a game that usually doesn't fully "click" until you've gotten a good amount of plays in. For me, that starter decks gave me a feel for the game and it's system, but it truly only shined with a second core. The early taste gave me a feel for what it was like, but it did feel like a sampling rather than a complete experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
After playing with just one core set, will I truly be in a position to know whether I like the game or not? I will not have fully experienced what it has to offer yet.

I initially ordered one core set to sample the game... At the time it had received a very lukewarm reception in BGG. It took exactly one play for me to order a second core.

But then, I have alot of experience with CCGs, so I'm a quick judge. That said, you'll know quickly if you want to dive in. If shipping costs are an issue, watch one of the Team Covenant commentaries (of a game in progress). That will help give you a good feel of the nuance of the gameplay, and if the game excites you, go ahead and order two cores right away.

Strongly urge against one core, one EoD to start. Alot of the fun comes in deck building and coming up with various deck concepts, and you can't do that so well with one of each objective set. Also, consider that most people who fell in love with this game enough to buy a second core did so before EOD existed. We all had great fun and variation without the larger card pool, and you will too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. If you haven't played it yet, buy one and try it. If you have played it and like it, then get 2 Cores. Now.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, you're probably asking a bunch of people who want the best decks they can get and thus have 2 cores. I mostly echo what BakaMattSu says.

As long as you're not playing against other people beyond other casual players with equal decks, you'll be fine. In other words, you playing against your wife means you'll both have single core decks and have an equal footing. Yes, you'll find that having 2 cores (or 2 EOD) makes for better decks and more consistency and competitiveness, but there's nothing inherently saying you can't enjoy a single copy.

You'll also enjoy the fun of deckbuilding, but unless you LIKE deckbuilding and spent TIME getting intimate with the cards, deckbuilding is a big hurdle for many, especially us adults who have other things to do than sitting down to organize cards beyond actually playing.

I voted 1 core + 1 eod. This lets you experience all 3 factions to how they were intended to be played (i.e. capture for scum and shenanigans for smugglers). It's also enough to demonstrate whether you may next want 2 cores or 2 EOD or both. I would also side with just 1 core if you want to see if the game is for you or not.

You *will* experience the game with even just 1 core. You can learn the rules, see if you like it, and so on. I'd then suggest 1 EOD just to open up the two new factions. Getting a second core first, just means you play the same factions, just with better decks. At least with EOD, you'll see a few new things.

If you and your wife are really enjoying it and want to take it to the next level, by all means get 2 cores and 2 EOD to round things out and give you actual varied deck opportunities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to also think about: with 1 core, your decks will be made up of 8-10 different objective sets. This makes for 40-50 different cards (more or less). This does let you experience a lot.

If you go with 2 cores early, you'll play with 2 copies of 5 objective sets, equaling 25 different cards (2x of each). This lets you see far less of what you *could* do.

Granted, you can just organize the leftover into their own decks, but I do like giving new players the experience of as many cards as possible in the first few games before they either love it or shut down and just don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LonerVamp wrote:
You'll also enjoy the fun of deckbuilding, but unless you LIKE deckbuilding and spent TIME getting intimate with the cards, deckbuilding is a big hurdle for many, especially us adults who have other things to do than sitting down to organize cards beyond actually playing.

Except that Star Wars curbs that problem with its dead easy deckbuilding design. Pick ten objectives, pull their cards together, shuffle up and start playing. The objective sets in general are usually playable in any configuration, so even someone who decides "I want two of Luke, Han, Chewbacca, Yoda, Obi-Wan" is going to have a decent deck without having to put much effort into construction. You have to almost try to build something terrible.

Bored of your deck and want to try something else? It's a quick matter of pulling out a set and swapping in another. The design is a plus, since it gives a way to personalize things through construction without spending a lot of time on it.

Deckbuilding is something you'll be extremely restricted on if you go the 1x Core, 1x EoD route. Yes, you can build all six different affiliation decks, but you'll only have wiggle room to change one or two objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BakaMattSu wrote:
LonerVamp wrote:

Except that Star Wars curbs that problem with its dead easy deckbuilding design. Pick ten objectives, pull their cards together, shuffle up and start playing. The objective sets in general are usually playable in any configuration, so even someone who decides "I want two of Luke, Han, Chewbacca, Yoda, Obi-Wan" is going to have a decent deck without having to put much effort into construction. You have to almost try to build something terrible.

Bored of your deck and want to try something else? It's a quick matter of pulling out a set and swapping in another. The design is a plus, since it gives a way to personalize things through construction without spending a lot of time on it.

Deckbuilding is something you'll be extremely restricted on if you go the 1x Core, 1x EoD route. Yes, you can build all six different affiliation decks, but you'll only have wiggle room to change one or two objectives.

Definitely true in comparison to things like ANR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.