Subject: technical, but not rules: Max points earned by one card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Irvine
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
This isn't really a rules question, but this seemed like the best place for it:

Has anyone figured out what card in what situation would give you the greatest number of points possible? (Or, for that matter, is your biggest point play actually a Wonder? I doubt it but I don't know.) If it depends on the set and/or number of players, that would be interesting to know.

I figured I'd ask before doing my own thought experiment...

Oh, and sorry if this has already been answered--feel free to link me. I didn't see a search function on the forum main page (?!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pretty sure it would come down to the one of the guild cards. If both your neighbors are going Science, you can get 10+ points from the appropriate guild card. Not just the science one, but all the guild cards have major potential.

Also, things like the lighthouse can pull pretty good points if you have a lot of commerce buildings, if you factor in the coins you get too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
irvinicus wrote:
This isn't really a rules question, but this seemed like the best place for it:

Has anyone figured out what card in what situation would give you the greatest number of points possible? (Or, for that matter, is your biggest point play actually a Wonder? I doubt it but I don't know.) If it depends on the set and/or number of players, that would be interesting to know.

I figured I'd ask before doing my own thought experiment...

Oh, and sorry if this has already been answered--feel free to link me. I didn't see a search function on the forum main page (?!).

Maximum points by a single card? Probably a guild card. E.g., the strategists' guild can give you up to +12, if both your neighbors have lost all 6 battles (4+ player games).

Science cards can also give you more than that, but in conjunction with others. For example, if you have {3 gears - 3 tablets - 2 compasses} green cards and get the 3rd compass, you get 5 (for 3rd compass) + 7 (for a set) = 12 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess it's going to be something along the lines of:

Build the Architect's Guild, with your neighbours having the other 8 guilds between them (24 pts)
Completing a Plato set (+7pts)
Scoring Hiram (+2pts)
Taking advantage of a TP+Clandestine Dock to buy one of the resources for nothing, but getting a coin from Hatshepsut, putting you up a boundary (+1pt)
Increasing the value of Midas (+1pt)

Which is a total of... 35pts so far.

Another alternative which might work would be science stacking. Hmm...

4 basic science cards of one symbol
1 leader
3 masks
1 board science symbol (Great Wall/Babylon)
1 Scientists Guild

That final symbol is worth at least 19 points. Yeah, I think this isn't going to work quite as well as the above.

Looking at other guilds, I'd say the Gamer's Guild is the most likely to score better. But working out how much you can get from that requires constructing an entire proof game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is the scientists guild (any one science symbol).
Every once in a while, someone tries to figure out the maximum number of science symbols one could collect. Potentially, in larger games with multiples of science cards and both leaders and cities (so you can copy neighbors' science) you could have each different green card for 4 symbols, if you are playing babylon, that could be a 5th, one corresponding science leader makes 6, and if your neighbor has 3 science of the same type (unlikely but possible, strictly speaking) and you have all of the mask cards, that would be 9 symbols. playing the scientists guild on that gives you a 10th symbol of a single type. (If I missed any way to get more science, this number gets better) This gives you 100 total points in science, but with only 9 symbols, you have only 81, so it is technically a 19 point gain.
Even more theoretical points is if your neighbors build 7 or 8 guilds between them, and you build the Architects guild for 21, 24 or more points. There could be as many as 10 guilds in play in an 8 player game, which nets 30 points from a single card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the gamers' guild maxes out in the 20s. you can always get 1 point per other card, so if you happen to get all the cards that give you more than 3 coins, you might be able to pick up 5 points? I think to take advantage of the other big coin generators, you are giving up coins to make it happen, so you don't net anything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Irvine
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Okay, you've given me some stuff to chew on, thanks for putting thought into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen the Gamer's Guild score 15 points, although I'm sure that the maximum for it and several other guilds is higher than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
6element
msg tools
mb
Assuming the question is about cooperative play and assuming the base game only...

Final stage of Rhodes-B can give you 12 military VPs + 2 from Strategist's Guild + 2 from 4 coins + 2 from Arena and Builder's Guild + 4 VP, resulting in 22 VPs total. (Yes, I know, some people think you get "10" for beating both opponents in the 3rd age military...)

In 5-player game Worker's Guild alone can give you 20, but if it is a copy performed by 3rd stage of Olympia-B - it can be +2 for Arena and Builder's Guild, resulting in the same 22 VPs.

Update: I was clearly wrong regarding Rhodes-B givig 22 VPs, because 1 shield isn't enough to get 12 VPs, 10 is the best case. So, max for Rhodes-B is "mediocre" 20 VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
I think the gamers' guild maxes out in the 20s. you can always get 1 point per other card, so if you happen to get all the cards that give you more than 3 coins, you might be able to pick up 5 points? I think to take advantage of the other big coin generators, you are giving up coins to make it happen, so you don't net anything

If our goal is to maximise a card's value, there's no reason to not have our neighbours funnel money continuously towards us (and indeed, have their neighbour funnel money to them as needed).

Considering that, I can easily get 30 points from the Gamer's Guild.

Any Wonder should work but let's say Gizah (Stone) for simplicity.
Play Berenice (-2 coins, +1 coin when you earn coins once per turn)
Discard 7 Age I cards (+28 coins)
Both neighbours build a Baths (+4 coins)

Play Ramese (-3 coins, free guilds)
Discard 7 Age II cards (+28 coins)
Both neighbours build Walls & Library (+8 coins)

Discard Leader (+4 coins)
Discard 6 Age III cards (+24 coins)
Both neighbours build Town Hall, Palace, Senate (+12 coins)
Build Gamer's Guild on the final card of the age.

Total: 97 coins for 32 points minimum. And this has various obvious improvements - Gizah (Stone) is really quite bad for this I think, due to it's age I building chaining to another Stone based building and generally stone appearing on fewer buildings in larger quantity. I don't play a single economic building, many of which are no brainers. The third leader play could be something which triggers off playing a Guild - at worst Croesus for +7 coins instead of +4. Some strategic options might be good for getting more coin, such as building extra resource(s) for neighbours to buy from you, and carefully choosing card plays so as to maximise the points you get indirectly from the guild. Considering all of those points, I think 40 points from playing the Gamer's Guild might be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot Berenice also gave you coins for discarding.
If you are able to build the tavern and the gambling Den and Gambling house, you pick up lots of extra coins over discarding, as well.
Might you be able to swing a few more coins with Ephesus A or B? What about using Halicarnassus to discard for coins and build it later anyway perhaps the gambling house? I think the net gain in coins would be tiny, if any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.