Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again I'm contemplating whether

A to stay another night in Essen and attend the whole SPIEL
B or leaving early (14:00 ish) and get home on Sunday

Aside from another precious vaction day the difference in price for hotel and transport isn't that bad (~40€). The last few rounds I left early so I'm wondering if it would be worth sticking around?

Is there still some gaming going on in the Ibis on sunday evening? Is it worth sticking with the show till closing time? The last time I was pretty burned out because I overdid it with the late night gaming and I was happy to go home. The in 2012 I kinda wished I could have stayed.

Any recommendations? experiences?

Edit - Comparison so far:
Leaving early
+ One vacation day saved
+ One less night at the hotel to pay
Staying another night
+ Experience the tail end of the fair
+ Cheaper train ticket
+ No switching trains
+ One more evening of gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I started going to Essen in 1995 - at this time, Sunday was a great day for getting cheap games in the 2nd hand mile. But - blame eBay - the second hand games have a declining importance at the show (and they are way too expensive IMHO). So I started to leave on Sunday morning.

Since three years, we only attend Thursday and Friday, trying to check out everything interesting and buying all the stuff we want. It's a little stressful, but manageable, especially with great help of W Eric Martins Geeklist, where you can plan what you want to check out and what you can ignore (Spiel 2013 Preview).

If you actually want to play and test games, you'll surely need all four days meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Eriksson
Cyprus
Nicosia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay!

we will play some more! as you know at least I and a friend will be there for sunday night at Ibis

sooo the more the merrier!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
I started going to Essen in 1995 - at this time, Sunday was a great day for getting cheap games in the 2nd hand mile.
I don't really care for the second hand mile. Or to be more exact. I've got enough to do trying to follow the current games for me go and try chasing older ones too...

Is there anything else worth staying the rest of the Sunday?

Martin.hemma wrote:
Stay!

we will play some more! as you know at least I and a friend will be there for sunday night at Ibis

sooo the more the merrier!!
Thanks. That's good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
I started going to Essen in 1995 - at this time, Sunday was a great day for getting cheap games in the 2nd hand mile.
I don't really care for the second hand mile. Or to be more exact. I've got enough to do trying to follow the current games for me go and try chasing older ones too...

Is there anything else worth staying the rest of the Sunday?

IMHO no. There might be the one or other special sale, but nothing important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it depends how important that vacation day is for you.
While you may get 1 or 2 demo games cheap before the fair closes, you definitely spend that savings on the hotel for the other night.
Depending where in Switzerland you live it's not that much longer to drive to you than to my place and we usually leave when the fair closes and still get to sleep before 12.
The more relaxing way would definitely be to stay till Monday and get a good night of sleep before heading home again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david fillis
England
Southport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, you sound like the perfect person to speak to.

I've never been to Essen but I'm determined to go in 2014.

When you've got a spare moment would you be kind enough to send me a few brief tips (I don't want to take up your time) on where to stay and how to get the most out of the convention. (I like to plan so I'll definitely be making the most of the BGG Spiel Preview).

Thanks very much. I hope you have a great time, good luck with getting your hands on the games you want. I look forward to buying you a 'thank you' drink next year.

Kind Regards

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Željko Kumer
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Life is like a photo, if you smile it turns out better!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
david fillis wrote:
few brief tips

then definitely check this out
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/120409/essen-faq
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
Depending where in Switzerland you live it's not that much longer to drive to you than to my place and we usually leave when the fair closes and still get to sleep before 12.
That's the thing. I'll be taking the train. So I'm really tied to whatever connections are available. Travel duration is at least 8 hours and anything that crosses the midnight line would include an awkward 5 hours stop over in Basel. Planes aren't really an alternative since most fights are even earlier than the trains so while I would be home faster it becomes an all or nothing proposition in respect to the sunday fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright. The dice have fallen. I'm going to stay another night and travel home on Monday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Eriksson
Cyprus
Nicosia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool!
Lets hope we are not all completely burned out by then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.