15 Posts

Children's Games» Forums » General

Subject: One player games for 6 year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Laura Cummings
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My son is about to turn 6 and loves games and puzzles, but so many of them necessitate another player and I can't always be available to play with him! Can anyone recommend a few one player games an average 5/6 year old would enjoy? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Quentin
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
All is quiet in the deep dark wood...
mbmbmbmbmb
My boy gets a lot of fun from these two, both could be played solo:

The Adventures of Harley
The Secret Door

However, they may be a little simple for a six year old, mine has just turned five so its a little difficult to tell if he will still be interested in them in a year. They may also be a little difficult to track down, sorry!

PQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fast Break
msg tools
If he has access to an Android device or tablet, he can play the classic card game War, available at the links below.

Google Play

Amazon App Store

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
Dublin 14
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island - Some text but this should be ok after a few games with you. A step up would be Castle Panic. Both very suitable for playing on your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Priscila Hoerner
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
My daughter is 5, and she has enjoyed playing these games by herself, though usually we play them together:

Whoowasit?
Operation
The Magic Labyrinth
Spot It!
Enchanted Forest
Zombie Dice

There are probably others, but I can't think of them now. I hope those suggestions help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The ones mentioned are good.

Also try the "Loco" games which are also learning games... We also have a few like Quadrillion and a logic game or two which can be played solo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
My son loves Zombie Kidz. It's dirt cheap and easy enough for a 5-yr old to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not really a board game but more of a solitaire type of game, but it might be perfect for a puzzle/ game loving kid. There are lots of Think Fun and Smart Games.

Our 4 and 9 months daughter enjoys:
Think Fun Rush hour jr, hoppers jr,
Smart games castle logic, dora, bunny boo (for younger kids)

I found this one of 6+ on the geek's database: Rush Hour Shift

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
nickie wrote:
Not really a board game but more of a solitaire type of game, but it might be perfect for a puzzle/ game loving kid. There are lots of Think Fun and Smart Games.

Our 4 and 9 months daughter enjoys:
Think Fun Rush hour jr, hoppers jr,
Smart games castle logic, dora, bunny boo (for younger kids)

I found this one of 6+ on the geek's database: Rush Hour Shift

Second these. My son spent hours doing a Rush Hour in preschool (10 now). They have a much larger selection now with Gravity Maze and Lasers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, came here to say Rush Hour and its derivatives.

My six year old will play almost anything solo, chess, carcassonne, pokemon - you name it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My niece is in love with the Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game and expansions. It's also encouraged her creativity by inspiring her to construct her own short stories based on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the Houdini Brainteaser for my daughter-in-law as a gift, and her 6-year-old not only loves it but is well ahead of her mom in how quickly she finds solutions. That granddaughter isn't my only one who enjoys the Think Fun puzzles and is very good at solving them. Rush Hour and Pete's Pike are favorites, but most of that line is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
May the Holy Grail protect me from these evil deeds!
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly recommend these two:

and/or

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster Chase.

Hoot Owl Hoot! is coop, so if the boy can pilot two face-up hands with only a few cards in them, then it can be played solo.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I second the suggestion for ThinkFun games: rushhour (it has card packs with other challenges), hoppers jr, etc.
We also love Smart Games which is european based: camelot jr, billy and betty bricks (or bauen in our german version), trucky 3. we have a german version schlosslogikus, a spanish Dora game. They are language independent. Have a look here: http://www.smartgames.eu/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.