Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
My lords, my ladies, you are all equally blessed. For I have the pride, the privilege, nay, the pleasure of introducing to you to a player, sired by players. A player who can trace his lineage back beyond Charlemagne.

I first met him atop a mountain near Jerusalem, praying to God, asking his forgiveness for the Saracen blood spilt by his sword. Next, he amazed me still further in Italy when he saved a fatherless beauty from the would-be ravishing of her dreadful Turkish uncle. In Greece he spent a year in silence just to better understand the sound of a whisper.

And so without further gilding the lily and with no more ado, I give to you, the seeker of serenity, the protector of Italian virginity, the enforcer of our Lord God, the one, the only, Sir Allllberto Saraccoooo -- Saraxsr!

(Seriously, it's been great playing with you Saraxsr - enjoy your Week(s)!)

Saraxsr wrote:
I'd like to thank SaiSaysPlayGo for proposing me to be WoW. I accepted while I was trying to get out of LL... ;-)

I am an 34 years old Italian guy, who loves math and games. I am really a boardgamegeek typical user...

I started boardgaming when I was 4 or 5 years old (or maybe even before... I just do not remember), and I love games of all kinds. I think I own more than 60 boardgames. Since my daughter was born I used to play with my girlfriend almost every evening and with a bigger group friends at least one evening a week. I am (was?) also a MtG player and used to play official tournaments (I played official tournaments in 3 different countries).

Now with my little Sofia (3yrs old) is a bit more difficult to play adult board games. But I am teaching her boardgames which are ok for her age (she loves Fireball Island!) and we play frequently.

As for math, I have a PhD in math and I have a permanent teaaching/researching position at University in Parma, Italy. I love math, and I love giving divulgative talks on the subjects.

As probably some of you noticed, I love keeping "An Handbook" and using all sort of stats and probability calculations while playing WW. I love going for the math win!

Even if I am a boardgamegeek, I happened to enter this site because of werewolves, actually because of quantum werewolves, which I wanted to play for a long time and never had an opportunity to do before. My brother saraccog1 (yes, we are brothers) told me about a quantum WW game in here and so both of us entered the WW community and BGG.

I've played WW since I was in my first year of University (that is 15yrs ago), and still play it with students and professors at my math department. If you are interested, the Italian name of the game is "Lupus in Tabula", which is actually a Latin name.

That's it. What else would you like to know?

Poll
Two of these are TRUE! (vote for the false one)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I've played 33 games in here, but I've never been in wolf-chat even once. (it's my brother the evil Italian, remember?)
33.3% 5
My brother is a mathematician, too. I was his undergrad thesis advisor.
60.0% 9
While playing Magic, I won a 4 day trip to Copenhagen with my girlfriend.
6.7% 1
Voters 15
This poll is now closed.   15 answers
Poll created by SaiSaysPlayGo
Closes: Sun Nov 3, 2013 5:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's start things off easy,

Saraxsr - what is the origin of your moniker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Saracco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:

Well, the answer is easy.

Sarax is a shortening of my surname. I was called that way while I was at school (6th-8th grade). Then I used it as my nickname for tablesoccer matches we were running at University.

The "sr" added is to distinguish from my brother*, who is younger by 10 and a half years.
Wouldn't you all enjoy a lot if his moniker was "Saraxjr"? or mine "saraccoa1"?

I bet you do.

*In case you are wondering, yes, saraccog1 is really my brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Sarax!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgio Saracco
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing - G.B. Shaw
badge
No matter how you look at it, I'm the nicest in the world!
mbmb
Saraxsr wrote:

Damn, you already answered the question I was going to ask you!

Grats for the achievement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Have you and your brother ever considered a life as plumbers who trip out on mushrooms and kick turtles around?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Saracco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:
Have you and your brother ever considered a life as plumbers who trip out on mushrooms and kick turtles around?

No. We are Alberto & Giorgio, not Mario & Luigi.

But we do save princesses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo! Congrats!

What's your favorite board game?

If you had to live the rest of your life on one food, what would it be?

What is your favorite color?

If you were a game, what kind of game would you be? What would be your win condition?

Do you prefer to play games with your brother (namely ww, but other games too)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L squared Radicchio
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YAY Sarax is Wolf of the Week!!!!! Great choice Sai!

Congrats Sarax! You're one of my favorite werewolf players and are so smart, kind, friendly, hilarious and awesome to play with. I think ever since our first game we kinda had a little trust team.

Questions to come later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth BK
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Sarax! Favorite non-social game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Sarax!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Saracco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hibou wrote:
YAY Sarax is Wolf of the Week!!!!! Great choice Sai!

Congrats Sarax! You're one of my favorite werewolf players and are so smart, kind, friendly, hilarious and awesome to play with. I think ever since our first game we kinda had a little trust team.

Questions to come later

blush

I also enjoy a lot playing with you... I am sorry you are not playing Ironman this year.

Tell me a game you want me to sign up, and I will (after I am out of Ironman madness)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Saracco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tiny3Ears wrote:
Woo! Congrats!

What's your favorite board game?

If you had to live the rest of your life on one food, what would it be?

What is your favorite color?

If you were a game, what kind of game would you be? What would be your win condition?

Do you prefer to play games with your brother (namely ww, but other games too)?

Board game: tough question. I love games with easy rules but with complex strategy. I think Bang, Citadels, Catan, Jaipur, Balloon Cup are some of my favorite games. The last two I only played on Yucata.

Just one food: difficult to say. I am a very typical Italian, I love pasta and pizza. Probably I'd go with pizza... Not the American one. (Although I like the pizza of Pizza Hut)

Color: I do not think I have one. When I was a kid, my favorite were orange and violet (hope you like this). My little Sofia loves green and I have an all green bathroom in my house.

Kind of game I would be... Have to think about it. Will answer later.

I love to play games with my brother. I think I was the one to introduce him to board games, and games in general. I taught him MtG when he was less then 5 (almost time to teach Sofia!). We play board games every time we have an opportunity. And I enjoy a lot playing with him online, both WW (even if he's always evil, I always read him as good and he loves to mislynch me) and on Yucata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Saracco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bkarrigan wrote:
Congrats Sarax! Favorite non-social game?

I think to the 5 I've already said (Catan, Balloon Cup, Citadels, Jaipur, Bang) I'll add Magic the Gathering.

But I like to try new games and really enjoy a lot of them. Difficult to pick one above others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Saracco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Saraxsr wrote:
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:

Well, the answer is easy.

Sarax is a shortening of my surname. I was called that way while I was at school (6th-8th grade). Then I used it as my nickname for tablesoccer matches we were running at University.

The "sr" added is to distinguish from my brother*, who is younger by 10 and a half years.
Wouldn't you all enjoy a lot if his moniker was "Saraxjr"? or mine "saraccoa1"?

I bet you do.

I've already given a longer answer to this question in a Feel-the-love thread:

Saraxsr wrote:
Saraxsr wrote:
saraccog1 wrote:
My name, Giorgio, has its origins from a greek word meaning 'Earth'.

My last name, Saracco, means wood-saw.

For my surname, my brother already answered. I'll add a saracco in Italian is the classical trapezoidal saw (not a much known nane for it, tough).

My first name, Alberto, is of germanic origin and means very famous man.

And one last thing.
My nickname: Sarax is a shortened version of my surname. When in my 6th to 8th grade we gave everyone in our class a nickname based on a shortened surname, ending with an x.
I then used it as a nickname in a long table-soccer competition while at university, and the nickname stuck on me.

The added sr at the end means I'm senior of my brother saraccog1... Of more then 10 years!

So... My nickname comes from family name, not first name.... Remember, I am a guy, and my name is not Sara.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you could travel anywhere where would you want to go?

If you could have any pet, what would it be?

What is your favorite game to play with your daughter (I'm guessing your daughter is Sophia? I apologize if I'm wrong)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Saracco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tiny3Ears wrote:

What is your favorite game to play with your daughter (I'm guessing your daughter is Sophia? I apologize if I'm wrong)?

I have actually travelled a lot in my life. And enjoy a lot doing it.
I think some places I'd really love to visit are Australia, Japan (this two my brother just visited), Madagascar and South Africa. Also Canada is a place I'd like to visit (I've only been once in Vancouver airport...)

When I was living with my parents I had a turtle, a white mouse and two cats (not all at the same time). I like cats a lot. If I could choose any pet, I think I'd go for a dolphin. I love them, and would love to swim with one.

Yeah, my daughter is Sofia (Italian spelling of the name). Her favorite game is Fireball Island, and I really enjoy to play that with her. We also spend a lot of time reading (I think I read to her at least 1 hour every day, but some days we reach 3 hours, I'd say), playing with building blocks (duplo) or playing with some ball (volleyball, soccer...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there was a movie made about your life, who would you want to play you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saraxsr wrote:
Tiny3Ears wrote:

I have actually travelled a lot in my life. And enjoy a lot doing it.
I think some places I'd really love to visit are Australia, Japan (this two my brother just visited), Madagascar and South Africa. Also Canada is a place I'd like to visit (I've only been once in Vancouver airport...)

When I was living with my parents I had a turtle, a white mouse and two cats (not all at the same time). I like cats a lot. If I could choose any pet, I think I'd go for a dolphin. I love them, and would love to swim with one.

Yeah, my daughter is Sofia (Italian spelling of the name)
. Her favorite game is Fireball Island, and I really enjoy to play that with her. We also spend a lot of time reading (I think I read to her at least 1 hour every day, but some days we reach 3 hours, I'd say), playing with building blocks (duplo) or playing with some ball (volleyball, soccer...).
I'm so sorry I got that wrong.

but that's a lot of reading! That's super awesome =D

and dolphins are awesome, but I may or may not have a bias because my elementary school mascot was dolphins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GRATS SARAX! What is your favorite D&D Race and CLASS?

Name your favorite old actor. (past or present)
What's your favorite ice cream?

Favorite TV Shows?

Favorite cartoons of all time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Sarax!

What is your favorite WW role here on BGG?
And elsewhere?

If there was a WW role called Saraxsr, what would it be like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Congrats Sarax!

What's the best part to logging into BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Saracco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CrimsonFox wrote:
GRATS SARAX! What is your favorite D&D Race and CLASS?

Name your favorite old actor. (past or present)
What's your favorite ice cream?

Favorite TV Shows?

Favorite cartoons of all time?

Uh... It is a very long time since I used to play D&D (more than 15 years... I played it while in high school).
I used to be a human wizard, if I recall correctly.

My favorite actor is Tom Hanks, but he's not old. So, I'd say Jack Nicholson. I really like both of them a lot.

As for the ice cream, I like to taste different ice creams. When a kid I always took chocolate & lemon ice cream (yes, I know it is a weird couple). I still like those a lot, and also like pistachio.

TV show. Since Sofia was born I have little time for TV. Almost only cartoons. Plus, favorite lynch time on BGG is when I used to watch TV... I like political shows. I used to watch Desperate Housewives. When younger I was a fan of Beverly Hills 90210 and of Saved by the Bell (which I saw in English, via parabola). Currently I like The Big Bang Theory (being nerdy in a similar way to Sheldon&friends), but I saw only few episodes.

My favorite cartoon is The Simpsons. I also enjoy a lot Disney's movies, and like to watch them with Sofia. This evening I saw MonsterInc with her (you know, the one featuring goo goo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your favorite number?

What is your favorite equation?

What is your favorite type of pizza? (And, as a sub-question, what do you think of french fries as a pizza topping?)

Do you plan on posting a picture on the Player Picture thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.