Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Shugar
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
The locomotive rules say that if you pick a locomotive card from the face up cards, you can't take another card, either from the deck or the face ups. But if there is a locomotive card in the face up cards, the rules don't say I can't pick a card from the deck first, then pick the locomotive from the face ups.
But that seems to be a sneaky way around the rule of not being allowed to pick a locomotive from the face ups first, then picking a card from the deck.... just in reverse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Locomotives are Multi-colored and act as a wild card that can be part of any set of cards when claiming a route. If a Locomotive card is one of the five face-up cards, the player who draws it may only draw one card, instead of two. If, after having drawn one card the replacement card is a locomotive, the player cannot take it.

Straight from the rules. There is no way of getting a face-up locomotive with another card, unless you cheat or play with house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Shugar
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. However the quote you gave is not clear. It reads as if the loco is the first card picked.

But after I posted my question I found it was asked back in 2004. That thread says to assume picking a face up loco is equal to 2 cards. So that would prevent my scenario no matter what the picking sequence is. (I was playing with a nitpicking lawyer.... sheesh!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The quote given is perfectly clear.

"If a Locomotive card is one of the five face-up cards, the player who draws it may only draw one card, instead of two."

You can't draw a face-up locomotive as your second card. Just the act of it being your second card means you won't be drawing only one card, which means you can't do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If a Locomotive card is one of the five face-up cards, the player who draws it may only draw one card, instead of two.

It does not matter if you pick the locomotive first or second, if you pick the locomotive, you can only pick one card. If you have already picked another card first, then you cant pick the face-up locomotive, as that would mean you got tow card instead on one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LD500 wrote:
However the quote you gave is not clear. It reads as if the loco is the first card picked... (I was playing with a nitpicking lawyer.... sheesh!)
The quote is clear. The nitpicking lawyer is not very good, if that's the best he/she can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Shugar
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Awesome! Thanks everyone. .....Case closed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.