Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 200 point team battle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: needs_photos! [+] [View All]
jeremy betsch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
So a few friends and I set up a massive battle using some pre-made 50 point squads, and we had a blast. We set up using two sets of randomly tossed out asteroids on a 3x6 field, setting up on the wide edges so that we engaged at about normal timing, but had a lot more maneuvering room.The whole thing took about 4 hours to play through, but two of the players were completely new to the game.

Imperial Teams
Kath Scarlett (38)
Academy Pilot (12)

Darth Vader (29)
Saber Squadron Pilot (21)

Howlrunner (18)
Dark Curse (16)
Backstabber (16)

Gamma Squadron Pilot (26 total)
-Cluster Missiles
-Proton Torpedoes
Academy Pilot (12)
Academy Pilot (12)

The other experienced player took Vader and Kath, the imperial new guy took the swarm. They set up in a giant cluster towards their right hand side.

Rebellion Teams
Luke Skywalker (29 total)
-R2 Astromech
Rookie Pilot (21)

Tycho Celchu (27 total)
-Determination
Green Squadron Pilot (23 total)
-Concussion Missiles

Dutch Vander (28 total)
-Ion Cannon Turret
Blue Squadron Pilot (22)

Ibitsam (28)
Rebel Operative (22 total)
-Ion Cannon Turret
-Intelligence Agent

The other new player took Luke and Tycho, so I grabbed the flying bricks. Luke and Tycho set up in a box directly in front of the imperials, and I (having never flown the HWK or B-wing and overestimating their turning capabilities) set up on our right, intendint to swoop in from the sides.

The game was set up to accomodate up to 10 players, as I had two more 50 point squads that we ended up no using. SInce only a couple people came, we decided to run 100 points each, and grabbed two pre-mades each. The other two squads were:

Imperial
Soontir Fel (27)
Fels Wrath (23)

Rebel
Lando Calrissian (50 total)
-Nien Numb
-Chewbacca
-Millenium Falcon Title

The first turn saw Luke/Tycho move up slowly, with Dutch/Ibitsam flying faster to make sure then can swing up. The Imperials took EVERYONE to the right on a slight turn, except the basic TIEs which flew somewhat straight... into asteroids. No damage, but lots of collusions and missed actions.

Turn two was the first shots fired, and resulted in a devastating morale drop for the Rebellion. Everything that had swung right for the Imps swung back to the left, lining up far away from my stuff and directly on Luke/Tycho. Kath flew further out wide, intending to swoop in the same way I was. I struggled to get in range and ended up with only the BSP able to shoot. Dealing only a single damage to Vader's shields, Luke Skywalker was blown out of the sky by concentrated fire from Vader, the saber squadron, and a few other ships.

Turn three, I start pinging at Backstabber and manage to ion him, Kath lands a powerful hit on the rookie pilot, the GSP target locks Vader, and most of the TIEs start throwing fire at Tycho. I believe the bomber tossed it's cluster missiles at this point, hitting Tycho for all of his shields. Tycho survives the round at 1 hul lremaining, the rookie has 2 hul lleft, Backstabber and Vader have taken 1 damage. Not looking good.

Now the real fun begins. Kath swoops in nearly too close, my B wings get range 1 on two targets, and subsequently get range 1'd on by a bunch of TIEs, the HWK is ALMOST able to shoot this round. Vader and the saber swing toward me, the A-wings continue nearly straight through, now throughly in the middle of the scrum. I believe the rookie swung left to meet Kath. I point blank Howlrunner with Ibit and nail her in one turn, taking her out of the fight, but not before Ibit takes a pounding herself. Dutch ions Backstabber again, but the dials had placed Backstabber in range 1 of the rookie, AND behind him with use of a barrel roll, so both X-wings have now left the board. The GSP and Tycho team up and eliminate the Saber, and I believe Kath whiffs hard. Vader sped out of the fight.

The GSP turns to engage the TIEs that were fighting me, Tycho K-turns to get outta dodge, Kath flies into where Luke/Tycho started, Dutch continues to chase Backstabber, Ibit K-turns to try to R1 Dark Curse, but he chases after Dutch, and the HWK FINALLY gets in range of something... the Academy pilot he just based. Go figure. Luckily, he is also in range of DC, who he wiffs against hard. Kath puts a couple hits on Dutch, who ions Backstabber out of the game. DC misses completely, the GSP based an academy so gets no shot, Ibit whiffs on DC.

This round, Vader swings up from where I started, DC K-turns and is also near where I started, the HWK moves slightly left, Dutch starts lining up on Kath, who is now pointing straight at the Rebel starting zone. Academy ties are flying every which-way, with one flying back toward the Imp starting zone fresh from his collusion with the HWK and GSP. The GSP strips Vader's shields and grants him the no-more-actions crit, DC hits the GSP for his shields, Ibit hits the bomber for 3 before she is eaten by a hail of academy fire and Kath's rear gun, Horton managed to ion the bomber as well, the BSP nearly kills another academy, and the HWK managed to ion Vader.

Kath swings right and nearly places herself off the board (if I manage to ion her, she's gone, but my HWK is WAY too far behind) Dutch follows to try to set up ions, DC places himself right behind Dutch, Vader flies right next to an asteroid, the GSP sets up perfectly behind him, the BSP K-turns around the TIE he just hit, causing the TIE to drastically overshoot him (neither gets to shoot the other), and the bomber drifts back into Dutch's range. Dutch goes for DC instead and whiffs, the BSP hurts the bomber and gets a bunch of damage on him from random ties, the GSP FINALLY uses it's target lock on Vader, finishing him off with the missiles before getting dropped to 1 hit by the bomber's proton torp. Kath has no shot, the HWK whiffs on a TIE, and DC puts a bit more damage on Horton.

Kath now flies up and through the rebel start zone well away from the fight (second round with no shot), the BSP closes in on the tie that crashed with the GSP/HWK a few turns ago, DC continues to chase Dutch toward Kath, and the GSP loops up to combine with the BSP, and the HWK finally makes it to the center of the board, turning down to follow Dutch. DC deals a bit more damage to Dutch, who finally ion's DC, the HWK ions nothing, the BSP whiffs, the GSP hits his tie for a damage, the bomber whiffs, and Kath continues to have no shot.

Kath rounds the asteroids and now has a chance at having a shot, the BSP K-turns again tog et a shot on Kath, DC flies toward the rebel start zone, Dutch and the HWk swing up to try to damage the as-of-yet untouched firespray, and the GSP swings into a lovely R1 shot against his target. the GSP drops his TIE, the HWK and Dutch finish off the bomber, and the BSP takes more damage from academies.

Kath finally returns to the fight as Dutch, the BSP, and the HWK all swing up to meet her. DC K-turns and NEARLY goes off the board edge, the GSP swings down to target another academy, and both remaining academies turn to help kill Dutch and the BSP. Dutch and the HWK manage to ion Kath, and the BSP stips her of shields and brings her to only a couple hull left, then eats it when Kath returns fire. DC and one tie take off the HWKs shields and bring it to 2 hull left, the other tie leaves Dutch at 4 hull remaining before taking a hit from the GSP (who has been at 1 hull for a hot minute).

Kath narrowly avoids an asteroid with her 1 straight as my turrets bash into each othere above her. DC speeds back into the fight and lines up with the ramining academies into a nice formation to chase down my turrets, while the GSP K-turns for nothing and ends up on the opposite side of an asteroid in R1 from Kath. Kath manages to whiff hard against the GSP, who has no shot. DC and one academy bring Dutch to 1 hull, Dutch whiffs against Kath but the HWK point blanks with the 2 dice shot and takes Kath down.

The next few moves get hazy, but the GSP and one of the academies go down, and iwthin 3 turns it becomes a 2 HP DC and a 3 HP academy chasing a 2 HP HWK and a 1 HP Dutch around in circles around a rock. Dutch goes down first, and I think the rebels are doomed, but then the HWK takes out DC, but not before getting pinged to 1 HP, leaving JUST the juniorest of both teams remaining. the HWK flies around the rock whiffing against the TIE, while the TIE struggles to line up a shot without hitting the rock.

After 3 or 4 turns of that, the TIE has a brainstorm and tears off at 5 speed toward my right. The HWK, who had just swung left around the rock, takes a few turns to get lined up, during which time the tie gets about 13 movement from the HWK and swings around with tight turns. They have one jousting shot at range 3, where both manage to whiff, then close to range 1. The HWK shoots first, and has to hit with his main gun to take out the TIE. He manages a hit and a crit, but the TIE makes all 3 evades! The Academy then fires, and slams it in with 2 crits and a hit. With no possible way to evade, toss the green on the table and congradulate my friends on a game well played.

The other experieced player was eliminated first, when the third TIE in DC's formation ate it the same time as Kath. Then the new rebel player died with the GSP, and we were left with me vs the new Imp for the big chase scene. It was a huge blast, that we set up around 1, started near to 1:30 and finished at 5:30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
Photos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy betsch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, no, I didn't bring a camera and my phone was dead...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Woah, sounds epic! I'm still scared to do anything more than 100pts, mainly because of time (new dad, so little time). This sounds awesome though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.