Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Best OL deck/card combo?? Opinions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most successful/favourite/best OL deck you have built?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manary Corte
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Best game of all time...
badge
...Twilight Imperium 3!
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic I + Warlord + Dark Resilience.

Throw away Tripwire and Word of Misery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Pushkar
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Basic I:
Dark Charm
Dark Might (2)
Frenzy (2)
Critical Blow
Dash (2)

Magus:
Unholy Ritual (2)
Rise Again
Diabolic Power

Warlord:
Blood Rage (2)

Rumor Reward:
The Wyrm Queen’s Favor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert S
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
Two web traps + Schemes (to act as a third web trap) replacing the 3 basic traps is all you need. Restricting movement is so critical in 2e. I'm pretty sure I've won every encounter that I've gotten a web trap off on two or more heroes on turn one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JerseyP Bob
msg tools
I plan to try this deck if the hero's ever choose a party with weak willpower.

Plot - Baron Zachareth
Sole Purpose (1 Threat) Your overlord deck can be size 13

Rush of power (2 to purchase, 1 to use) Draw 2 cards at end of turn

Always Prepared (2 to purchase, 1 to use) Start of turn, discard 2 cards then draw 2 cards.

Basic II
Flurry (Event)
Mimic (Trap)
2x Beffuddle (Magic)
2x Blinding Speed (Magic)
Reflective Ward (Magic)
Uncontrolled Power (Magic)

Magus
2x Unholy Ritual (Magic, 1xp each)
Word of Despair (Magic, 2xp)
Diabolic Power (Magic, 3xp)

Universal
Schemes (Event, 1xp)

The point is to keep cycling through your deck to play Word of Despair every turn. It makes hero's suffer 1 fatigue for each action if they failed the will check. You can play Diabolic Power to get it back to play again, also triggering a check or they lose 2 life. You try to burn the hero's to death.

There are interesting interactions. Flurry is the only event aside from schemes, and mimic is the only trap. You can basically get either flurry or mimic with schemes any time you want unless its already discarded. This will discard most of your deck and probably let you know what is left on top. It also helps you reshuffle your deck if both word of despair and Diabolic Power are used already. Strategic use of schemes is important.

This is kind of a different take on the overlord deck. I can't wait to try it out. I guess it tries to bypass the game of descent altogether and just kill the heroes with cards. I bet it would be really irritating to play against, and that's great. Let me know what changes you would make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I really like combining Tainted Blow and Expert Blow. Tainted Blow grants +1 surge and +1 damage and can be returned to your hand by discarding 2 infection tokens on the target, while Expert Blow grants +2 damage and can be returned to your hand by spending a surge. So it simplifies down to +3 damage, return both cards to your hand by discarding 2 infection tokens from your target. It's especially fun after you've prepare your targets appropriately (with Airborne/Contaminated) so that you can play the combo on every single attack during your turn.

Airborne is a lot of fun when you have ranged monsters, because you can have them shoot from impossible distances (like 7+) and put an infection token on your target when you inevitably miss.

Contaminated is good because you can abuse the surge resolution order to trigger the aforementioned combo. If you target a hero who has 1 infection token, you can play Tainted Blow and Expert Blow, and if you roll at least 1 surge, as long as you spend that surge for an infection token before spending the infection tokens on Tainted Blow, you can still recover both cards.

The only downside is that, because of the rules about how the Overlord purchases his cards, you're not typically able to get Tainted Blow and Expert Blow in your deck until fairly late in the game. (It requires 8 experience points, which he doesn't usually have until the end of act 2.)

The best part is the look on the heroes' faces when the combo dawns on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
JerseyP wrote:
This is kind of a different take on the overlord deck. I can't wait to try it out. I guess it tries to bypass the game of descent altogether and just kill the heroes with cards. I bet it would be really irritating to play against, and that's great. Let me know what changes you would make.

I've always wanted to pull off a Word of Misery/Word of Pain combination, just for lols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grease meat
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expert Blow is a level 2 card? Damn. Yeah this'll be tough to pull off. I wish I could trade in threat tokens for XP like I can vice versa.

So the difference between Contaminated & Tainted Blow is Contaminated requires a Surge, while Tainted Blow gives you one. I'm surprised the rule book is not more explanatory as to the importance of wording & the mighty ":" on these cards

zbmott wrote:
I really like combining Tainted Blow and Expert Blow. Tainted Blow grants +1 surge and +1 damage and can be returned to your hand by discarding 2 infection tokens on the target, while Expert Blow grants +2 damage and can be returned to your hand by spending a surge. So it simplifies down to +3 damage, return both cards to your hand by discarding 2 infection tokens from your target. It's especially fun after you've prepare your targets appropriately (with Airborne/Contaminated) so that you can play the combo on every single attack during your turn.

Airborne is a lot of fun when you have ranged monsters, because you can have them shoot from impossible distances (like 7+) and put an infection token on your target when you inevitably miss.

Contaminated is good because you can abuse the surge resolution order to trigger the aforementioned combo. If you target a hero who has 1 infection token, you can play Tainted Blow and Expert Blow, and if you roll at least 1 surge, as long as you spend that surge for an infection token before spending the infection tokens on Tainted Blow, you can still recover both cards.

The only downside is that, because of the rules about how the Overlord purchases his cards, you're not typically able to get Tainted Blow and Expert Blow in your deck until fairly late in the game. (It requires 8 experience points, which he doesn't usually have until the end of act 2.)

The best part is the look on the heroes' faces when the combo dawns on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soddy wrote:
Basic I:
Dark Charm
Dark Might (2)
Frenzy (2)
Critical Blow
Dash (2)

Magus:
Unholy Ritual (2)
Rise Again
Diabolic Power

Warlord:
Blood Rage (2)

Rumor Reward:
The Wyrm Queen’s Favor

Errr... your basic deck doesnt have 15 cards. Can you pick and choose cards? I thought you had to use the whole basic over lord deck or the whole alternate overlord deck. Can you explain how how this deck in quotes can be purchased?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runescience wrote:
Errr... your basic deck doesnt have 15 cards. Can you pick and choose cards? I thought you had to use the whole basic over lord deck or the whole alternate overlord deck. Can you explain how how this deck in quotes can be purchased?

You can remove cards from your deck. He doesn't have anything from Basic II

Page 20, core rulebook wrote:
Before each quest (but not each encounter), the overlord player may choose to temporarily remove a number of cards from his deck in order to optimize his strategy for the quest. This is done in secret so the hero players do not know which cards the overlord player has removed. He must keep a deck of at least 15 Overlord cards for each quest. Any removed cards are set aside for the duration of the quest. After the quest ends, return any removed cards to his deck of Overlord cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.