Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game 2 nights ago and played with a few of my friends and my wife. We had 5 players, most who had never played Forbidden Island so were new to the idea. We lost 4 games in a row. It was brutal. Always due to loss of water.

So last night, my wife and I decided to give our shot at a 2 player game. We actually won (climber and water carrier)! We decided to play a Forbidden Marathon (trademark pending) where we play through Forbidden Island to get the treasure, but then our helicopter crashes in a Forbidden Desert and we have to find our way out.

We decided to use only characters who are in both games just to make it more thematic. I ended up being the explorer and my wife the navigator. We cruised through Forbidden Island with ease. We were playing on novice. We then went straight into Forbidden Desert. It looked grim for a bit as one corner of the board got hammered pretty hard for a few turns and had lots of sand. A key turn by myself excavated one tile, jetpacked us into the corner. Used 2 sand blowers to clear 2 tiles. Used the "extra actions" card to excavate 2 more tiles. Only problem, 2 of our pieces were in opposite corners. She went for one and I went for the other. I got mine and excavated the take off platform near my corner. She got hers but had quite the trek to get back to me. In a hasty decision she decided to excavate a tile near her when we already had everything to leave. What a waste, but wait...and item tile. Boom! Other jetpack!!! She jetpacked to the take off platform and we were out of there!

This was a very fun and thematic way to play. I recommend it to anyone who liked both of the games. To keep the theme we have the navigator and explorer. You can also do the archaeologist and engineer are basically the same as well as the diver and climber. Would be interesting to see if someone could manage with 5 players to make it through both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea to combine both games like this. You challenge people to do a 5p version of this, but I always found it more difficult to survive with 2p than with 5p. This is due to the lack of inventory space if you play with 2.

Anyway, great idea! I will try to do it soon as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jk_W wrote:
Great idea to combine both games like this. You challenge people to do a 5p version of this, but I always found it more difficult to survive with 2p than with 5p. This is due to the lack of inventory space if you play with 2.

Anyway, great idea! I will try to do it soon as well

I find it easier with 2 experienced people then 5 with 3 inexperienced people. Optimally I would like to try with 3 or 4 experienced people. Also I played on novice mode for both games. After getting curb stomped the night before we wanted a pick-me-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome awesome idea, although how many characters are in both?

I also agree that the difficulty scales up in Desert as players go up. I've played 4 4p (all losses) and 1 2p (won it). Granted, small sample space, but considering the 2p was with my 11 daughter playing for the first time while two of the 4p games were with a group of extremely experienced gamers, it suggests to me there is a scale up.

Thanks for sharing your idea, a great way to play two great games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
civet5285 wrote:
Awesome awesome idea, although how many characters are in both?

I also agree that the difficulty scales up in Desert as players go up. I've played 4 4p (all losses) and 1 2p (won it). Granted, small sample space, but considering the 2p was with my 11 daughter playing for the first time while two of the 4p games were with a group of extremely experienced gamers, it suggests to me there is a scale up.

Thanks for sharing your idea, a great way to play two great games.

The explorer and the navigator are the only exact matches between the two games.

The problem I've found with 4 and 5 player games is that someone always runs out of water. The way to win this one is to make sure you end each turn with at least 2 water or in some sort of protection. Once people start to figure out the water management of this, I think it will be much easier. Find a tunnel, may your way towards water, and keep as many people on the same tile as possible to facilitate trading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flann Christenson
United States
Bemidji
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just looking through the forums to see if anybody else had thought of this... low and behold here it is! There goes my one "great idea" of the year.

I had basically the same thought after playing Forbidden Desert the first time. What a thematic night you could have with four friends. Of course if you can't get off the island, then I guess the thematic night falls short.

Thanks killerardvark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.