The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Expecting Mischief and Thalin, why the same ruling? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zeb Ulon

Oxford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to play the rule lawyer again, but found out that this official response from Caleb about Expecting Mischief (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13569087) has been reverted in FAQ 1.5. So now Expecting Mischief, like Thalin, can eliminate an Encounter during Staging before "When revealed" and any keywords have been applied.

I find this very strange, because here Expecting Mischief effect is an Action so it should only happen after an Encounter card is revealed, and we know that we cannot interrupt Encounter cards during Staging with Actions. Thalin, on the other hand, has a Passive effect, and we know that its timing takes priority on any other effects, including Forced responses. Furthermore, the FAQ specifies it happens before keywords, thus by the Golden Rule, so be it. But this is extremely surprising for Expecting Mischief (and Caleb even said in his answer that "the card is worded differently than Thalin".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Expecting Mischief is played in the action window before the staging step. It essentially sets up an effect which will trigger when the first enemy is revealed from the encounter deck. Like having a Thalin that only exists for this quest phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alogos teeheehee
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always considered (since faq 1.5) that Expecting Mischief create a passive effect...in truth, it's a lasting effect, and the Action as ended otherwise, you should only discard Expecting Mischief at the end of the round.
The good rule must be that lasting effect act like passive effect.
Then all is consistent... Apart from the fact that Thalin is an Errata and not a precision, so why the heck is Expecting Mischief not declared as an Errata or Thalin moved to rules precision ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Thalin is falsely labelled as "errata". It's a clarification.

However, that doesn't change the fact that the FAQ and the designer have given two opposing answers to the same question. Which is correct? I'd lean toward the FAQ, not because it is the FAQ, but because it seems more elegant to have similar effects with similar results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Ulon

Oxford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
However, that doesn't change the fact that the FAQ and the designer have given two opposing answers to the same question. Which is correct? I'd lean toward the FAQ, not because it is the FAQ, but because it seems more elegant to have similar effects with similar results.

Not necessarily, because Caleb has already reverted some rulings he made in the past (e.g. the ruling regarding attachments on locations immune to player effects, see http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1702-offic..., I checked with Caleb who confirmed he and his team changed their mind).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Ulon

Oxford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Expecting Mischief is played in the action window before the staging step. It essentially sets up an effect which will trigger when the first enemy is revealed from the encounter deck. Like having a Thalin that only exists for this quest phase.

Oh yes, I think this is the key, it is an event, so one has to play (and pay for it) before the staging, thus the Action effect applies to the first revealed Encounter.

This makes sense indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zebulon_ wrote:
dcorban wrote:

Not necessarily, because Caleb has already reverted some rulings he made in the past (I checked with him the FAQ entry regarding attachments on locations immune to player effects).

This is regarding two different people, though. One is the original designer, while the other is a developer. Unless I missed the fact that Nate and Caleb are the same person!

Knowing that he has reverted other prior rulings just reinforces my feeling that they just pull out whatever answer comes to mind when reading questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Ulon

Oxford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:

This is regarding two different people, though. One is the original designer, while the other is a developer. Unless I missed the fact that Nate and Caleb are the same person!

Knowing that he has reverted other prior rulings just reinforces my feeling that they just pull out whatever answer comes to mind when reading questions.

What does make you think Caleb does not write the FAQ As far as I understand, Caleb is the one who now answers all questions, I have not received a response from Nate for a very long while. I suspect that Nate has shifted to other projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.