Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Lieutenant Packs - thoughts and opinions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stark Hammer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
In August, ffg announced lieutenant packs for Descent 2nd edition. As I've heard from my undisclosed moles, there are currently no further expansions in the pipe, so lieutenant packs is the current way Descent 2nd Edition goes. Aside from the beautifully crafted figurines (albeit plastic), what's your thoughts on the real content? A game changer? What do you think about plot cards (like a custom Overlord class deck with bias to upgrade cards) and the reintroduction of threat tokens? Good idea? Has ffg also thought about addressing the Overlord's issue of reduced chances of getting purchased arsenal cards on hand as the campaign progresses?
... lots of questions so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeevs Rawese
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The problem with these packs is that I can't even begin to review them without knowing what exactly the fortune tokens do. Dependent on the strength of their benefits, it could single handedly make or break these decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look like a strong supplement to (but not a replacement for) the OL deck. The total threat you can amass is limited. You don't want to run out of "ammo" for your fancy plot cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stark Hammer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
The mechanics of threat tokens is to activate OL cards, what mainly appears to be upgrade cards at first glance. I find that quite interesting since they simplified the OL in Descent 2nd Ed. (compared to Descent) to only use one type of resource, namely Overlord cards. With now reintroduced threat and a handful of tokens to activate some cards of the lieutenant deck, this seems like a good trade-off between simplifying accountant-work and still getting the original Descent level of suspense "just you perky heroes wait till I get my third token..."
I just hope this is all flawless and well-conceived, and these decks can be mixed with the OL classes available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
As with anything of this nature, if you're hoping for flawlessness, you will be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neuro researcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it hard to believe that FFG wouldn't produce any more expansions. Not saying that you're wrong/not trying to argue; it just doesn't seem like FFG (and I hope that they do make more expansions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neuroblast89 wrote:
I find it hard to believe that FFG wouldn't produce any more expansions. Not saying that you're wrong/not trying to argue; it just doesn't seem like FFG (and I hope that they do make more expansions)

Actually wouldn't surprise me at all with their track record.
But I think it was more there's nothing on the table right now.
Not that they are never going to again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
neuroblast89 wrote:

Actually wouldn't surprise me at all with their track record.
But I think it was more there's nothing on the table right now.
Not that they are never going to again.

If true, I'm OK with this.

I only have a couple of quests from the LoR campaign under my belt, so there's still so much more to discover there. And if you can believe it, there are still quests from the base game that I haven't tried yet.

I'm seriously thinking about holding off on The Trollfens until I've digested most of what I've got already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomhammer wrote:
As I've heard from my undisclosed moles, there are currently no further expansions in the pipe
Your moles are deaf and blind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the moles are just under strict non-disclosure agreements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be happy if they released some "Class Packs" which contained new classes 1 for each archetype. Currently that is what is getting stale. I look forward to Trollfens for the prophet and stalker classes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have 14 classes already and you say it's getting stale? Maybe instead they should introduce a way to spice up already existing classes. Not by adding class specific cards, but by adding supplementary mechanism, similar to what lieutenants packs will do to OL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
We have 14 classes already and you say it's getting stale? Maybe instead they should introduce a way to spice up already existing classes. Not by adding class specific cards, but by adding supplementary mechanism, similar to what lieutenants packs will do to OL.

Well I have played through the Shadow Rune Campaign at least 8 times and LoR twice. I haven't currently played the Treasure Hunter or Hexer more than once. But yes I do feel like it is getting stale. I don't think the idea of new classes is such a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Zervakis
Greece
Heraklion, Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
Well I have played through the Shadow Rune Campaign at least 8 times and LoR twice. I haven't currently played the Treasure Hunter or Hexer more than once. But yes I do feel like it is getting stale. I don't think the idea of new classes is such a bad idea.

You really have a lot of free time then. Have a pause and try different play groups next time.
What mostly could spice things up is a campaign book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brutalien wrote:
mustardayonnaiz wrote:

You really have a lot of free time then. Have a pause and try different play groups next time.
What mostly could spice things up is a campaign book.

What does my free time and my play groups have to do with classes being stale?

Also how would another campaign make using the SAME classes less stale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the classes will have to work differently in new scenarios then they will be less stale. Too bad the classes are so limited in development and options that they are 1 use only for some players.

Unfortunately adding more classes will end up with
* no originality
* even less balance
* classes that will be deemed completely useless when compared to others of the same archetype
* duplicate ideas
* and so on

Adding a mechanism that would add new options to every class would change all of them, basically giving us twice the amount of classes we have now. Just adding new classes? Nah. Just adding more classes without end will be stale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
Nah. Just adding more classes without end will be stale.

Yeah, well, ya know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's my opinion. If they make pack of 4 classes, as you want, then you'll use them up in single campaign if you'll play with 4 heroes. 2 campaigns if you play with 2-3 heroes. Even if you want to play each class personally then this gives you only 4 campaigns.

On the other hand if they make something that would bring life to all existing classes you get 4-16 campaigns of new content.

No matter how fast their dish out new classes, seeing from how quickly you get bored of them, you'll always end up wanting more long before they are able to deliver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for the campaign book. This is the one that requires most development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something akin to prestige classes could be cool — unique skill cards tied to archetype but not to any specific class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Something akin to prestige classes could be cool — unique skill cards tied to archetype but not to any specific class.

I like that idea a lot. It'd be hard to make them inherently useful for every class, but with clever mechanics you could get something interesting.

Maybe for wizards something like: Time Warp (2 fatigue): Refresh an exhausted class card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More classes is not something I want to see. Small additions to it - fine, but do not expand already big base.
There is one thing that is missing - which FFG was already using in other games - random map generator.
Campaign book will be good one.
Maybe some other starting weapons for the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
dorywalski wrote:
There is one thing that is missing - which FFG was already using in other games - random map generator.
An expansion which allows exploring, and making D2 a dungeon crawler would be great !
Even some replacement of the OL by a good AI could diversify the game and perhaps make it the best dungeon crawler around, while keeping its basic tactical skirmish aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stark Hammer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
What's your idea of a boardgame AI?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War is one example — you draw cards that make the various Locust types perform particular actions based on the closest player figure to them, alternate actions if primary condition can't be fulfilled, etc. Works very well. Something similar could work for Descent, but it would need to be more complicated. There are more variables in D2E than in GoW; that game doesn't have OL cards with conditional triggers, nor objectives for the Locust other than "kill the good guys."

Arkham Horror also has a (light) AI system at work when it comes to monster movement — monster symbols + black and white paths + special movement rules for some monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.