Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

The Supreme Commander» Forums » General

Subject: placing new units in home country rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
don p
msg tools
the rule states that newly purchased units may be placed in home country cities even if they were previously captured.

This means that the russian can grow units behind the german lines if those cities were left unoccupied or even in a zone of control??

Seems bogus to be able to grow THree tank Corps behind the lines where did they get the manpower and material?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blownapart wrote:
the rule states that newly purchased units may be placed in home country cities even if they were previously captured.

This means that the russian can grow units behind the german lines if those cities were left unoccupied or even in a zone of control??

Seems bogus to be able to grow THree tank Corps behind the lines where did they get the manpower and material?


Several games have this same mechanic...Totaler Krieg: Axis Empires and Proud Monster Deluxe come to mind. In those games its part game mechanic-based (better garrison your territory) and partly based on representing anti-partisan activity, etc. PMD limits it to a single INF unit, but I don't believe TK:AE has any limits on what can be placed in a valid city.

Note that the rules of TSC are unclear if a ZOC prevents placement (3.3 "Hexes into which a unit exerts a Zone of Control (see 6.0) are
called controlled hexes. ") versus 10.2.1 "If a player’s home nation city was previously captured, but left unoccupied, newly purchased corps may be placed there!"... "unoccupied" is a different scope than "uncontrolled"). By a strict reading of RAW (Rules As Written), the enemy city can be /controlled/ but /unoccupied/, and therefor placement of reinforcements could occur into an enemy CONTROLLED city (if it is unoccupied).

-K
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Fritz better garrison those Ivan cites. A newly placed unit might very likely be OOS immediately though. And, if unoccupied but controlled by an adjacent enemy unit, I would be hesitant to place a new unit there anyway.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Loken
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, its one of those things that just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean its a good idea. But having units pop up further behind the lines where they could threaten your supply lines is definitely a reminder that you should have garrisoned those cities.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Pierce
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friendc wrote:
A newly placed unit might very likely be OOS immediately though.


Nope.

7.2.1 "A Supply Source is a friendly controlled city in the unit's Home Country"

By virtue of being built there, it is automatically in supply, and a real pain. Germany had better be nice to his minor allies so that he has enough units to Garrison all those Russian cities he's planning to conquer!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Navoril wrote:
friendc wrote:
A newly placed unit might very likely be OOS immediately though.


Nope.

7.2.1 "A Supply Source is a friendly controlled city in the unit's Home Country"

By virtue of being built there, it is automatically in supply, and a real pain. Germany had better be nice to his minor allies so that he has enough units to Garrison all those Russian cities he's planning to conquer!


You are so right. I stand (eh, sit) corrected.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.