Subject: Legendary is aptly named rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently introduced to the deck building game concept when some friends taught me how to play the D.C. game. I played it twice and had a ton of fun so I ventured out to buy my own. With almost zero knowledge of the deck building game world I did extensive research on what the best one to buy might be. This lead me to narrow it down to three games: Ascension, Dominion and Legendary. I decided on Legendary since it was based on a theme I recognized and enjoyed. What a fantastic decision that turned out to be! Allow me to explore the various features of the game that I like so much.

LEARNING CURVE

The game play mechanics were much more intricate and involved than the D.C. game but after watching one "how to play" video and playing a two player game by myself I was able to learn quite quickly. The game is recommended for 14+ and this is primarily due to some of the more complicated strategies of the game. However, I taught my 7 & 8 year old kids how to play and they thoroughly enjoy it, so though the learning curve is moderate it is by no means excessive.

REPLAYABILITY

The most brilliant part of this game is the replayability factor. There are many heroes to choose from along with multiple Masterminds and villains to throw in the mix. Additionally, a variety of different scheme's, which is basically like the plot of the game, give each game a different feel. The number of different possible combinations between all these factors creates a seemingly endless number of possibilities and some are so enjoyable you won't mind playing them again and again.

CO-OP / COMPETITIVE MIX

I absolutely love the mix of co-op and competition which adds so much richness and complexity to the game. What makes it even nicer is that the players get to choose to what extent they cooperate or compete with one another. For example, they can take an action which helps progress all players towards the shared goal of defeating the Mastermind. Or they can focus purely on accumulating additional points for themselves which may not help the other players but increases their own chance of victory. Additionally, they can even take an action which negatively impacts the other players giving themselves an edge over their comrades and inhibiting others ability to accumulate points for themselves.

My kids and I like to play the game in strict co-op mode. We feel like we are on a team like the Avengers united in our efforts to vanquish the scheme of the evil Mastermind. My friends and I are more competitive. We compete for the most points which adds a whole new tension and dynamic to the game.

The genius of this diversity of strategy is that each player and each group will bring a different mix of play to the table. This reflects real world comics where different heroes interacting with each other in special crossover issues will produce varying results. Heroes sometimes clash or compete. Egos and objectives sometimes differ and personalities conflict. Other times the right combination of cooperating heroes produces an unstoppable force! The results are sure to produce some unexpected outcomes.

CONCLUSION

The end result of all this is a fantastically fun game which continues to provide hours of entertainment and never becomes boring or repetitive. The ability to play with any number of players from solo up to five gives it a flexibility a lot of other games lack. With a moderate learning curve able to be grasped by a large range of age groups, a theme that appeals to many people and a richness in diverse modes of play I can definitely recommend this game to almost anyone.

If you are sitting on the fence considering whether you should buy Legendary, hop down immediately, run as fast as you can to the nearest gaming store and buy a copy right now! The only regret you'll have is that you waited so long to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Power
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG, and great review! I agree with you, it is a fantastic game. The Dark City expansion is an absolute must, if you don't have it already. There are also quite a few really well-made fan made cards in forums.

You may have already seen them in your researching of deck builders, but if not, I'd recommend checking out the Thunderstone series. With so many expansions, there's an almost infinite replay value to that one as well.

There's also the Lord of the Rings games by Cryptozoic, which is almost identical to their DC game. I know a lot of people that dislike games that are so similar, but I own and enjoy both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on the Dark City expansion being necessary. It's just too good not to have. In fact, I bought it just over a week after buying the base set and haven't looked back since.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking for additional games and I'd heard the name Thunderstone tossed around somewhere. Someone else also highly recommended Android: Netrunner. I'm a big LotR fan but now that I've tasted Legendary I'm not too keen on the D.C. mechanic anymore. Perhaps I should give it a few more plays before I decide but the game seems so finite in comparison. Same cards turning up every time, everyone always competes for the same cards, the only change is the superhero you play and that effects the game minimally.

I saw the custom cards but am not too keen on those. I prefer to stick with official cards. I know the developers and designers have put extensive brainstorming power and play-testing sessions into each card they produce to ensure the game stays balanced. I can't make the same assumption with custom cards. More power to those who make and use them, though. I do, however, have interest in custom scheme's and have even posted a few of my own concepts in the variants thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I 100% agree with this review, this is how I feel about the game. BUT if you do not like deck-building games and/or the Marvel universe, this game may not be for you.

I have the base game plus the expansion and can't wait for the next 2 expansions (Fantastic Four and Spider-man). Galactus and Carnage are going to be so awesome to fight against!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Power
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Ascension was the one that got pushed off the shelf by Legendary. I really liked the gameplay, and how easy it was to teach and learn. The artwork seems to be really polarizing, and I fell on the side of hating it. So when Legendary came along, with similar gameplay, a theme that I love, and comic-book level artwork, I quickly added Ascension to my 'for trade' list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.