Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't picked this game up yet, just been watching videos, reading reviews, etc. I don't have any racing games, and this one seems to appeal to me and my wife. Catch is, I come from a background of Car Wars, and from what I've seen, damage to vehicles from being close to each other seems pretty rare.

From what I understand, if you're in a space next to another vehicle, you each roll a d20. On the roll of a 1, you take a point of damage to your car.

Would it be unbalancing to make it a roll of 1 damages your car, and a roll of 20 puts a damage onto the other player's car?

Since I haven't played it, and am just going by what I've seen/read, am curious as to how other people who do play it feel about that as a house rule. Yes, I know I can play it however I want, but want to get more educated opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
both players roll the d20, so it is equally possible for both cars to suffer damage from it. When you play using the advanced rules, most of the cars only have 2 body points, so you don't really want to make it any easier to damage them than it already is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
Catch is, I come from a background of Car Wars, and from what I've seen, damage to vehicles from being close to each other seems pretty rare.

Yes, I know I can play it however I want, but want to get more educated opinions.

Because I also came from Car Wars I got pretty tired of Formula D pretty quickly. Once I discovered Speed Rally I never went back.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38987/speed-rally

In fact, the racing in Speed Rally is more of what I wanted from Car Wars in the first place!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends highly on the number of cars you race with. Four or less cars and it's pretty bland, but at the other end, 10 cars will pretty much guarantee at least one DNF.

If you build your own car (i.e. distribute your own wear points), this will easily balance itself out. With less cars, people will add less points to bodywork, and thus also maybe survive only one or two "hits".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Evans
Wales
Rhondda
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
It depends highly on the number of cars you race with. Four or less cars and it's pretty bland, but at the other end, 10 cars will pretty much guarantee at least one DNF.

What this guy said. We were playing the other night and with seven cars on the track it was the first time we haven't had a DNF. We were trying to avoid one another where possible because we know just how frequently that 1 can come up. Added to that, once one car is damaged it leaves debris on the track which will then damage you on a 1 to 4.

To avoid damage we were often taking a sub optimal path. It just works. There was one corner which put me out of the race because the other cars were so tightly packed I couldn't have got through and would have used up most of breaks trying to avoid a collision.

Formula D isn't Car Wars. It is what it is, and I think it's a pretty damn fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to take a look at Speed Rally.

Like I said, this is all coming from the perspective of never having played the game before. More than likely, though, it'll be 2, maybe 3 players. Figuring each can use 2 cars, but it'll still be pretty open.

Didn't know about the debris. That may make a bit more of a difference. But then again, if you only do one or two laps, that might limit it.

Am picturing coming up with a campaign type setup, where people can upgrade their cars with money from previous races. Might result in a lot of damage in the beginning, but able to make it through the later races more intact.

Still looking into it, though. I get one game a month, and I've narrowed it down to 3 options for October.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Evans
Wales
Rhondda
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can I please make one suggestion Gary without offending you?
Play the game first. Ask if a friend has a copy and play theirs. You seem to be looking for a game which isn't Formula D. If you do invest in it then you might be very disappointed but only because your expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jester Wales wrote:
Play the game first. Ask if a friend has a copy and play theirs. You seem to be looking for a game which isn't Formula D. If you do invest in it then you might be very disappointed but only because your expectations.

A guy came into my local game store looking at Formula D and asked me to play it with him so I did.

He liked it enough to buy it. It reminded me that it was still an 'ok' but not great race game.

Check it out for yourself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Grossman
United States
Grand Junction
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:
It reminded me that it was still an 'ok' but not great race game.

Speed Rally is a great race game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jester Wales wrote:
Can I please make one suggestion Gary without offending you?

No offense at all. Typically I'd prefer to play it before buying it. I have a bit of a drawback on that though. I've never met anyone who's owned or played it, and I live in an area where there's maybe 1000 people within 45 minutes. The town I live in has less than 200, mostly retirement age. So gaming with others is really limited.

When I was in California, totally different deal, but here I just pick up games, throw them against the wall and hope they stick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RicharDISNEY
United States
Rescue
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It is what it is, and I think it's a pretty damn fun game.

That sums it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geebob wrote:
Speed Rally is a great race game?

Yes! Everything I wanted from a race game that Formula D doesn't do. Unlimited selection of great cars, all types of tracks including no tracks, customizable vehicles, customizable drivers, campaign rules, etc.

It may not be for everyone, but it definitely replaced both Car Wars and Formula D for me.

There's a yahoo group here for more info: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/speedrally/info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, thanks for the thoughts all. I'm probably going to pick up Formula D sometime before the end of the year. Will give it a try a bit and see if it needs any spicing up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mullen
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too come from a Car Wars background ... really wish they would reprint that ... and maybe get a deal so they start making Mirco Machines again ... ahhh the good old days ...

Anyways ... I have been looking a variant to add weapons (i.e. Car Wars) but haven't found anything good yet ... may just have to brain storm and come up with some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.