Hide
19 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Celebrity Gift art--subtle creepiness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Houston
msg tools

So I'm staring at this last night--one of the best illustrations in the game--and I see the girl's arm in the background has a wire coming out of it.

Is this a Jinteki clone on the assembly line, getting its accessories before being released into the world? I feel like we know the least about what Jinteki does as, you know, a business, other than doing net damage to runners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah did you think they just found that little teacup giraffe in the wild?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think I'd be working here if I could afford a real giraffe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Houston
msg tools
DrTall wrote:

I meant the gal holding the giraffe--sorry to not be more clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hall
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the wire is probably just connecting to that little PAD-like device in her hand. Since implants and mods are so common in the setting, it's probably entirely normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
Do you think I'd be working here if I could afford a real giraffe.

"If I had a million credits
I'd buy you a giraffe
(But not a real giraffe, that's cruel)..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Houston
msg tools
Rithrin wrote:
I think the wire is probably just connecting to that little PAD-like device in her hand. Since implants and mods are so common in the setting, it's probably entirely normal.

Good explanation. Also, Miranda Rhapsody sounds like an Important Person.

Or maybe Miranda Rhapsody is a type of clone you can get, and they recently came out with the Teacup Giraffe accessory...

Probably not though. Seems like the giraffe is supposed to be an example of what Jinteki Corp. can do with it's cloning business--not the girl holding it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brendan2026 wrote:

From the description of Laramy Fisk in the original Plugged-In Tour announcement:

"Singer-turned-actress Miranda Rhapsody's newest flame appears to be financial genius Laramy Fisk..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Houston
msg tools
scifantasy wrote:
brendan2026 wrote:

From the description of Laramy Fisk in the original Plugged-In Tour announcement:

"Singer-turned-actress Miranda Rhapsody's newest flame appears to be financial genius Laramy Fisk..."

Well done, sir

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brendan2026 wrote:
scifantasy wrote:
brendan2026 wrote:

Well done, sir

I have to wonder about the Android lore. I mean, there are three games, plus books--how diligent are they about fitting everything together, and assuming they are, how much work is it? I guess lore is probably the last piece of the puzzle--this card, for example, probably started either as "Jinteki economy, so it's mind games," or "mind game economy, so it's Jinteki," and then I'm guessing once the amounts and design were set up, the lore was added--"OK, it fits to be a celebrity thing, showing off, so let's work in a Miranda Rhapsody mention and--oh, it's like a teacup animal, maybe a giraffe, that would be nice, fits with Jinteki as a cloning powerhouse..."

I wonder whether FFG has a master lore book (wiki?) or are just winging it. Either way, so far, it seems pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maybe Next Time
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rithrin wrote:

No bluetooth in this universe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomatello wrote:
Rithrin wrote:

Faster & more reliable than bluetooth. Do you not read science fiction? lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Houston
msg tools
Tomatello wrote:
Rithrin wrote:

Right. The line out of her arm has an IV look to it. Maybe she's hooked up to a device that constantly monitors her blood, which adds or takes away drugs or stimulants or medicine or whatever as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomatello wrote:
Rithrin wrote:

Problem is, as the wireless spectra get blanketed with more and more signals, you find it less and less possible to get a reliable hookup. I can see wires being still commonplace as the reliable, no-leakage, no-jamming, no-eavesdropping (short of something like Van Eck phreaking, direct induction detection) method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brendan2026 wrote:
DrTall wrote:

Oh I know! I meant they're probably both clones. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DrTall wrote:
brendan2026 wrote:
DrTall wrote:

Oh I know! I meant they're probably both clones.

It's pretty straightforward. Jinteki doesn't just do cloning, they also do genetic tinkering. They artificially created a new tiny giraffe, and gifted it to the celebrity Miranda Rhapsody (hence the name of the card) to get media coverage and boost sales.

It's a really well designed card as the theme and mechanic mesh so well - you reveal your projects (cards in hand) to the world to generate revenue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nephtys Nephtys
msg tools
"Good evening, viewers. I'm Jack Wayland, and I'm going to speak with you about all the Wayland Consortium is working on. First up, we have several hostile takeovers planned for mom-and-pop shops, as you can see here. Then, our Punitive Counterstrike Division is around. Just look at how happy that gun is! Finally, our Scorched Earth and Geothermal Fracking division show that we don't just want to blow up houses, but the Earth itself. Now please, send your 10 Credits care of Weyland:BABW. Thanks, Celebrity Gift!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Jennings
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nephtys wrote:
"Good evening, viewers. I'm Jack Wayland, and I'm going to speak with you about all the Wayland Consortium is working on. First up, we have several hostile takeovers planned for mom-and-pop shops, as you can see here. Then, our Punitive Counterstrike Division is around. Just look at how happy that gun is! Finally, our Scorched Earth and Geothermal Fracking division show that we don't just want to blow up houses, but the Earth itself. Now please, send your 10 Credits care of Weyland:BABW. Thanks, Celebrity Gift!"

You mean Corporate Acquisitions, building the brand and bringing the name you know and trust to your locality, along with trials for new and improved security measures to keep your greenfield estate free from crime. Speaking of greenfield estates, Weyland is working to clear out several high-crime slum areas and improve them with Urban Renewal projects, and finally our deep-sea energy developments will bring you cheaper power. Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Trithne wrote:
Nephtys wrote:

You mean Corporate Acquisitions, building the brand and bringing the name you know and trust to your locality, along with trials for new and improved security measures to keep your greenfield estate free from crime. Speaking of greenfield estates, Weyland is working to clear out several high-crime slum areas and improve them with Urban Renewal projects, and finally our deep-sea energy developments will bring you cheaper power. Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World.

Anyone else care to sum up the Spin Cycle so succinctly? Good job Trithne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.