Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/02/us/tom-clancy-obit/index.html?...

I know that Tom's stories helped to foster my interest in modern warfare and modern warfare related wargames. Two of my favorite light wargames were based on his books:
Red Storm Rising
The Hunt for Red October
I could be critical of Tom's books in some cases, primarily in his protrayal of complex weapon systems working nearly flawlessly when first employed (especially in his early books). My experience in the military was that there were a lot more SNAFUs than Tom accounted for in his stories. Of course, as I served in the Reserves, we generally got used equipment, so maybe my point of reference was biased! In any case, I have greatly enjoyed reading his work, and it's a shame he's gone at such a relatively young age. RIP Mr. Clancy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunt for Red October is still one of the most thrilling books I've ever read. RIP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maven Moore
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
In Tempus, Fortuna omnia vincit.
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cow. I have first editions for a large chunk of the Jack Ryan novels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... an era is finished! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was walking by a TV at work with a young (20s) coworker when that popped up. He said, "Who's Tom Clancy?"

I stumbled, but quickly recovered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
I was walking by a TV at work with a young (20s) coworker when that popped up. He said, "Who's Tom Clancy?"

I stumbled, but quickly recovered.

He must not be a gamer because Ubisoft puts Tom Clancy on just about every video game they make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't ready anything by Tom Clancy in years, but I remember really being impressed with Red Storm Rising when I got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a kid I loved his stuff. Everything he wrote in his early years was great. Well-written, tightly plotted, and just a smashing good read.

The older he got, the more his books drifted. I think Clancy was a creature of the Cold War. It informed his worldview in so many ways. And the end of the Cold War caused him to lose focus in his writing.

That, and as his books accumulated history it got harder and harder for him to build a believable edifice on top of all of his previous work. (That's a problem for a lot of writers. Clancy's not unique in this.) He clearly loved Jack Ryan, and I don't think it's a stretch to say that Jack Ryan was a stand-in for Tom Clancy. Given all that, his universe just became too constrained to build good stories in.

Of his later works, the only one that was fun to read was Red Rabbit, and that's because he dumped all the baggage and went back to a Cold War setting.

All that said, he was a terrific writer, and a good man. Requiescat in Pacem, Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb

Red Storm Rising was the first book I read that kept me fully engaged throughout. The switching of protagonists from hapter to chapter really worked for me.

There are many books that I loved, but I could always find a good point to put the book down and get on with other stuff. RSR was the first where I repeatedly said out loud, "Okay, self, I will only read until the next Iceland chapter!" and then I would get there but then say, "Self, lets just see what happens to the tank platoon." Next thing you know, the sun is coming up and I have to catch the bus to school or I find myself waking up with crushed page lines in the side of my face.

This may have lead to my habit, even now, of flitting back and forth between games instead of playing one to death and moving on.

Thanks, Tom Clancy, for putting out such good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Sword, Board and Pen
badge
Hey! I run a board game blog at swordboardandpen.com! Come check it out!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just chiming in that I'm a younger 20-something and this is really, really sad news.

I started reading his "Op-Center" series when I was younger, and graduated to Patriot Games. Recently, I've been reading the books involving Jack Ryan, Jr., as I skipped over many of his original Jack Ryan books, but I'm planning a major Kindle Store purchase so I can read the entire series chronologically; starting with Without Remorse, all the way to Command Authority (which is set to be released later this year).

RIP, Mr. Clancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RIP Mr. Clancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in college, I had a class that was taught through the Nuclear Engineering dept that had packed out seating in a lecture hall of about 120 people. This was about 1991, a year after The Hunt for Red October was put on the big screen.

At one class, we had a couple of guys from the navy to speak about the nuclear navy.

They asked for questions. I wanted to ask if the caterpillar system was based on real science or just fiction, and if it was real, did such technology exist? But I wasn't going to ask because it would be too much of a dork question. And even though I was comfortable with my dorkiness, for some reason, this setting intimidated me.

A few hands went up and it was generic stuff. Everyone was looking around. Just when it appeared the questions was over, someone would raise his hand and ask another generic question. It was like we didn't want them leave.

Finally, someone asked a question about Red October and hands shot up everywhere, including mine. It turns out everybody else had the same reservations as I did, but the floodgates opened.

They had to summarize with this statement: you can learn more by reading Clancy's book than we are legally allowed to disclose.

I told a relative of mine that who worked at Electric Boat Co in Connecticut where they build the nuclear subs and he told me the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Way
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I confess my enjoyment of his works has declined over the years (something about some of his later novels struck the wrong chord with me), he was also at one time one of my favourite authors.

Edit: ninja'd by robbbbb, who accurately summarizes my feelings on the subject:

robbbbbb wrote:
When I was a kid I loved his stuff. Everything he wrote in his early years was great. Well-written, tightly plotted, and just a smashing good read.

The older he got, the more his books drifted. I think Clancy was a creature of the Cold War. It informed his worldview in so many ways. And the end of the Cold War caused him to lose focus in his writing.

That, and as his books accumulated history it got harder and harder for him to build a believable edifice on top of all of his previous work. (That's a problem for a lot of writers. Clancy's not unique in this.) He clearly loved Jack Ryan, and I don't think it's a stretch to say that Jack Ryan was a stand-in for Tom Clancy. Given all that, his universe just became too constrained to build good stories in.

Of his later works, the only one that was fun to read was Red Rabbit, and that's because he dumped all the baggage and went back to a Cold War setting.

All that said, he was a terrific writer, and a good man. Requiescat in Pacem, Tom.

Also, Hunt for Red October and Red Storm Rising remain two excellent reads, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most of his books from the past decade have been written by ghost writers. Teeth of the Tiger may be the last book he actually wrote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the other things I remember about Tom is related to the craft of writing. I was watching an interview with several authors years ago where they were all taking about how to get a writing career off the ground. Tom's advice was simple and direct - "Write the damn book!" He was right, of course - the biggest hurdles to success that most would-be authors face are a) getting started and b) sticking with it. His point was that too many people waste all of their time thinking about or talking about writing a book, but never actually making themselves sit down and write the damn thing.

The same could probably be said for a lot of us would-be wargame designers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
One of the other things I remember about Tom is related to the craft of writing. I was watching an interview with several authors years ago where they were all taking about how to get a writing career off the ground. Tom's advice was simple and direct - "Write the damn book!" He was right, of course - the biggest hurdles to success that most would-be authors face are a) getting started and b) sticking with it. His point was that too many people waste all of their time thinking about or talking about writing a book, but never actually making themselves sit down and write the damn thing.

The same could probably be said for a lot of us would-be wargame designers!

Or wargame players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed Mr. Clancy's works as well over the years (still trying to finish The Bear and the Dragon).
Red Storm Rising was one of my favorites. It was the first time I had ever read a book that had Iceland in it and I was intrigued and wanted to visit the country (which I did on my honeymoon last year; my wife and I cannot wait to go back) and it had a line in it that I used often with a coworker who was always telling us to have a positive attitude about things. I can't remember the exact part of the book (been at least 20 yrs since I read it) but at one point some officer heard a lot of men griping and one of the men said the situation sucked and the officer said something like, "No more of that! I want a positive attitude around here!" And the reply he got was, "This positively sucks sir!"

R.I.P. Mr. Clancy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So many hours invested in reading his older works and I loved every minute. Thank you Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Sword, Board and Pen
badge
Hey! I run a board game blog at swordboardandpen.com! Come check it out!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any favorite quotes? (Please avoid spoilers) Mine is from "The Teeth of the Tiger"

“If you want to kick the tiger in his ass you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth.”

I don't know why, but that has always stuck with me and been applicable in more situations than you might think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Coffey
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracking good reads for the most part. Especially enjoyed reading Red Storm Rising. I may just race through it again today.

RIP Mr. Clancey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/02/us/tom-clancy-obit/index.html?...

I know that Tom's stories helped to foster my interest in modern warfare and modern warfare related wargames.

This caught me off guard, to say the least.
Like Desertfox, Red Storm and Hunt got me interested in wargames and Harpoon 4 in particular, back when the cold war was just ending in the summer of '89.

Godspeed, Thomas, and thanks for the great stories!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Clancy's passing.

My favorite was "Cardinal of the Kremlin" as I like spycraft more than even war stories. I can't help but compare Clancy to George R.R. Martin, however, in that success seems to create its own challenges. (I'll leave it at that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A prolific mind that I'll miss very much.

Farewell Mr. Clancy!

FC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John New
United States
Accokeek, Maryland/
New York, NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, nil nisi bonum and all that, and I enjoyed Hunt for Red October, too. But he lost me forever with Debt of Honor, which, IMO, was a pretty damned racist book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.