Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that control markers are now provided for all factions and that they start on the board, as opposed to only coming out during the propaganda phase in AA.

Does this mean control is going to be observed throughout games from now on?

This is not a rules problem in any way. Just curiosity on my part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Grossman
United States
Grand Junction
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hepcat1 wrote:
Does this mean control is going to be observed throughout games from now on?

If I take your meaning to be "will all future COIN games track control at all times?" that is not the case. Each game may keep or alter some mechanics, based on the requirements of the design and the choices made by the designer.

For Cuba Libre I needed a way to allow the Directorio to pursue a course that would not require conflict with the 26 July. Control was an existing mechanic that corresponded closely with DR war aims (at least my best guess about them) and what would be necessary for the DR to claim a victory in the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks. That answers my question. I love getting insight into the design process for games in this manner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add that both A Distant Plain and Fire in the Lake use Control as an aspect of some Factions' victory (stealing paying homage to this mechanic from Jeff), and so track Control throughout the game. So that's the trend in the Series. However, those games only track two rather than four flavors of Control, so perhaps fall somewhere between AA and CL in that regard.

Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.