Subject: 7 player game: should we use alliances? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few times but never with the expansion. I will be playing with the expansion and 7 players. Do people recommend the Alliances rules or not?

Also, for setup for 7 players, the rules say:

Quote:
Add the 18 Extra Technology Tiles in the Technology Tile bag and the Extra Reputation Tiles in the Reputation Tile bag.

But in the box to the right (page 12 of the Rise of the Ancients manual) it shows "Tech Tiles" with a value of 22 for 7 players. So exactly how many (and which?) tech tiles should I be using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Also, for setup for 7 players, the rules say:

Quote:
Add the 18 Extra Technology Tiles in the Technology Tile bag and the Extra Reputation Tiles in the Reputation Tile bag.

But in the box to the right (page 12 of the Rise of the Ancients manual) it shows "Tech Tiles" with a value of 22 for 7 players. So exactly how many (and which?) tech tiles should I be using?

You are mixing additional tech tiles with initial tiles drawn before game starts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion comes with extra tech tiles so that there are more tiles in your draw bag of each type. Add all of these extras (maybe you've already done this). Also add the rare techs into the bag if you are going to be playing with them.

Then when starting the game pull out 22 from your tech bag (now 18 tiles heavier + rares)

As to alliances: it adds the most time to the game as players who ally with each other will want to discuss communal strategy (sometimes in another room) BUT it increases interactivity a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TopherMel wrote:
The expansion comes with extra tech tiles so that there are more tiles in your draw bag of each type. Add all of these extras (maybe you've already done this). Also add the rare techs into the bag if you are going to be playing with them.

Then when starting the game pull out 22 from your tech bag (now 18 tiles heavier + rares)

OK, that makes sense, thanks. I might have already added all of them, which means I should probably take them back out if I have fewer than 7 players... are they marked in some way? (sorry, don't have the game in front of me right now)

TopherMel wrote:
As to alliances: it adds the most time to the game as players who ally with each other will want to discuss communal strategy (sometimes in another room) BUT it increases interactivity a lot

Great, thanks. I think I'll leave it out since we have so many new players: I wouldn't want to make the game take too long (we are expecting to finish in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
are they marked in some way?

There is a small mark on expansions parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have it all setup, thanks for the help everybody.

Question: how big of a deal would it be to just leave in the extra tech and reputation tiles in for fewer players? My guess is it would increase the average VP count from battles (perhaps encouraging more battles) and water down the technologies a little bit (although with the expansion tech in there that would seem to even out).

The only expansion rules I'm using are the special techs (forget what they are called) and simultaneous play (and of course the 7-player rules). I'll save the rest for some other time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Question: how big of a deal would it be to just leave in the extra tech and reputation tiles in for fewer players? My guess is it would increase the average VP count from battles (perhaps encouraging more battles) and water down the technologies a little bit (although with the expansion tech in there that would seem to even out).

My experience is that players are able to draw most of the better reputation, leaving mostly 1s in bag. With too much tiles in bag it would be too random what you draw and in the end the would be still many higher values in bag while players have many 1s on their boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Question: how big of a deal would it be to just leave in the extra tech and reputation tiles in for fewer players?

As for reputation tiles, the ones for 7 or more players are marked. You can just leave them all in the bag; if you play with fewer players and someone picks a marked reputation tile during play, let him set it aside and take another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Question: how big of a deal would it be to just leave in the extra tech and reputation tiles in for fewer players?

We play mostly 2-4 player games and just leave everything shuffled into the bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Campbell
Canada
Banff
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"So many new players"? In a 7 player game?

Oomph. Prepare for a VERY long game.
I really wouldn't recommend introducing people to the game for the first time with that many playing. I could see that experience being very off-putting to many of them, especially with the need for constant instruction, and particularly if you're playing with people of varying degrees of strategy savvy.

I don't think I would even attempt a game with over 4, maybe 5 players unless everyone at the table had at least a couple of games under their belt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately we had 2 experienced players (on opposite ends of the table) and simultaneous play variant, so we finished in 4 hours, not too bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Campbell
Canada
Banff
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's actually far better than not bad. Nice job coach!

I have yet to play Simultaneous; next time my group sees enough players at the table, we'll be doing that for sure though.

You 2 must have been working overtime for the first few rounds.
I would have thought Simultaneous Play would make the game even more intimidating to newbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.