Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Sink
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions about playing Lords of Waterdeep with two players.

1. My wife and I have played the game for the last two nights. The one things that dissapoint us the most is the Intrique cards. We rarely draw a Mandatory Quest card and The cards that give you resources suck because I have to give her a resource because she's the only other available player in the game. This causes us both to avoid even using the Intrigue cards. Should we just pull some of them out of the game?

2. I thought when I played this(it included the Scoundrels expansion) at Pax with Wizards of the Coast, they mentioned that you sould replace the 4 quest cards at the end of every round. However I can't find that in the rules and thought I must have imagined it. Any thoughts on this?

I love the game but I'm not enjoying it as much as a two player game as I did with 4.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Reuhl
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keithsink wrote:

1. My wife and I have played the game for the last two nights. The one things that dissapoint us the most is the Intrique cards. We rarely draw a Mandatory Quest card and The cards that give you resources suck because I have to give her a resource because she's the only other available player in the game. This causes us both to avoid even using the Intrigue cards. Should we just pull some of them out of the game?

Not an answer, just my experience from 2 player games. The only thing pulling those intrigue cards would do is increase set up time. Points seem to be close unless someone pulls the lord that gives you extra points for buildings.

Hopefully your wife and your lords are diverse enough that she doesnt need the same 'color cube' as you. Then she will need to take an extra worker to a building to trade it for one she requires.

keithsink wrote:

2. I thought when I played this(it included the Scoundrels expansion) at Pax with Wizards of the Coast, they mentioned that you sould replace the 4 quest cards at the end of every round. However I can't find that in the rules and thought I must have imagined it. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks

I have not bought the expansion yet but I do remember something about this, I believe you had the option to take a corruption for a reset ... something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sink
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do find that the games are very close(usually within 5 points). Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Soetens
Belgium
Gentbrugge
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First of all, I find the game more fun with more players (3-4) so I'm agreeing on that part.

But regarding:
Quote:

Do keep in mind that you can place your agents somewhere else at the end of the turn. This means you can play an intrigue card, benefit from it and place your agent somewhere else at the end of your turn, so you can still use it somewhere else. So I see these intrigue cards as a benefit but on the downside, you can only use the leftover open spaces at the end. Still I think you really benefit playing most intrigue cards. Some of them are indeed less useful in 2P games, for example if you have to give one opponent(and there is only one...) something. But all the others seem ok to use.

Quote:

I only played the base game, still waiting on restock of the expansion. But in the base game the quests don't get reset in between rounds. They only get reset after you place your agent on the marker "First reset all 4 quests, then choose one."-spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only card I'd recommend not using in a two player game with both expansion modules is the Open Lord card. That card makes you immune to all attack and mandatory quest cards, which is huge in a two player game since it invalidates their best cards against you. In a game with more than two players it's more reasonable since the other players still can use those cards on other opponents and forgo giving the Open Lord benefits from the beneficial cards.

Other than that though I agree with the above poster, the Intrigue cards are useful in a two player game because the person playing the card is always getting a bigger benefit from the card than his opponent and normally playing the cards is only "half" an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank E
msg tools
mbmbmb
For your 1stquestion, I've played 2 player games but don't feel that giving your opponent a resource. I would prefer playing with 3-4 players. For your 2nd question, I normally look at videos on YouTube like TableTop or The Dice Tower to see the reviews or game play. They replace the quests back to four after someone picks one. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally find that LoW is best with 2.
Regarding the intrigue cards, we play at least 1 each round. The thing is that you get 2 cubes you NEED, while the other gets a RANDOM cube(might never actually use it)

If playing an intrigue card would give her the last adventurer she need to complete a quest, well don't play that intrigue card.

I think there's no point in taking those out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game plays great with 2 players. I certainly enjoy it with 3-5 players but 2-player plays so fast. Last night we had a 2-player game with Skullport, Undermountain, and the Corruption track as well as all of the new Intrigue and Quest cards. It was very fun and not close at all. I scored 2 of the 40 point quests and won 232-185.

I do not like having to give my opponent a benefit from my Intrigue cards and I will never play one that is going to help him complete a quest unless it really benefits me also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also in a two player game there is little competition for anything on the board. There are ample spaces making getting what you need so easy. It is a downgrade for sure playing with only two players. Like you noted, the cards that help another player as part of playing it are less appealing in a two player. With a third you can choose who you want to help and play it to the person who needs it least to is the least threat. I suppose it acts as a bit of a catch up mechanic in that sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Caras
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mb
Two player games are fantastic. Since you are forced to play with your quests revealed, the game becomes much more of a chess match than with three or more players. Blocking is commonplace so alternative paths to victory must be explored. Also, the first player marker is more highly sought after as the person to move first in a two player game has a significant advantage.

Additionally, some quests and intrigue cards are far superior in two-player than three or more player games (and vice-versa). Arcane Mishap, Lack of Faith, etc aren't as good in two player games but Bribe Agent & Sample Wares offer better value when played one on one.

Also, Recruit Lieutenant and (my favorite) Place a Sleeper Agent in Skullport wreak complete havoc in a two player game - especially if completed early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
keithsink wrote:
We rarely draw a Mandatory Quest card and The cards that give you resources suck because I have to give her a resource because she's the only other available player in the game. This causes us both to avoid even using the Intrigue cards. Should we just pull some of them out of the game?

Those cards usually give you more of said resource, so they're not entirely useless. Also worth noting that the quests skew towards one resource or another by type, so getting two rogues yourself when you're looking to complete skullduggery quests is a lot more valuable than giving her one rogue if she's mainly interested in warfare and arcana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.