Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Game best with just original board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Person
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
The more we play with expansion boards the more I feel like the game would be better with just the original board. I just don't like the train station mechanic of swapping boards. The big board expansions are still great to have with the extra card types, ancient ones, and investigators but I think I may stop using the extra boards. Also I feel like the small box expansions work much better with just the base Arkham. Anyone feel the same way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Without either Dunwich or Innsmouth, I find the game a bit too easy most of the time.

The extra locations for opening gates makes the game much harder as you can hit that open gate maximum quicker and fill up on doom tokens.

If you are only going to use the base board, then I highly suggest playing with quite a few gate burst mythos cards to help make it harder.

It is also why I also highly suggest only using the base board when first learning (and without gate bursts), then add in gate bursts, then add either Dunwhich or Innsmouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Winfrey
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only components I regularly use from the big-box expansions are the additional rules that can apply to every game (personal stories, injury/madness, epic battles). The majority of my games are played on just the base board, mainly because we usually only have 2-3 players and there's just too much ground to cover. I enjoy the expansion boards, but they're the most fun with 5 or more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you play with a small box expansion that includes Gate Bursts (IIRC all the small box expansions do) OR you use the Gates from Lurker, I don't think you'll have a problem with the main board becoming stale too quickly. You have Heralds and Guardians to use, you have a stack of AOs and Investigators, you have a mass of variety in Mythos with swapping small expansions in and out. No, I don't think there's an issue here.

Personally, I'm a "one at a time" kinda guy. I feel that the theme of any expansion shines through best when it's played as the single expansion. Having said that, these days my standard game uses the Gates from Lurker regardless of expansion in play. I have Miskatonic and use it all the time - or at least the appropriate components - and I wouldn't be without it. Once you have it you can use some of the Institution variants with the main board plus it has the Dunwich Horror Herald (and, of course, a shed-load of cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Dunwich!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
Get Dunwich!

Uh? Might want to re-read the OP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corinthian
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Special C wrote:
The big board expansions are still great to have with the extra card types, ancient ones, and investigators but I think I may stop using the extra boards. Also I feel like the small box expansions work much better with just the base Arkham. Anyone feel the same way?

Yes. I rarely include the expansion boards... although I do use every other bit of content that can be included, from all expansions, so the base game board has the maximum possible amount of variety without adding extra setup time.

The three expansion boards are all quite good but tbh they all change the game in more-or-less the same way, which is that you occasionally need to run errands to the extra town to prevent a certain track from getting too high. They also have the benefit of just adding loads of new encounters, but after a while you will have seen all of those. Of the three boards, Innsmouth is the most well-balanced, but still a bit fiddly to set up since it has its own Mythos cards.

If the game seems too easy there are plenty of other ways to mark it harder: pick a tough AH, or use weak investigators, or use a herald, or even (if you're really desperate) those 'difficulty card' things. Or just do what my group does and make the game harder by being incompetent and wasting time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We almost never play with the extra boards, just the extra stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Special C wrote:
The more we play with expansion boards the more I feel like the game would be better with just the original board. I just don't like the train station mechanic of swapping boards. The big board expansions are still great to have with the extra card types, ancient ones, and investigators but I think I may stop using the extra boards. Also I feel like the small box expansions work much better with just the base Arkham. Anyone feel the same way?

The small-box expansions are definitely best with just the base game, except maybe "Lurker". The other 3 small-boxes make it way harder (although Dark Pharaoh2 could use some Gate Bursts)

The base game without any expansions can be too easy unless you use one of the really difficult Ancient Ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corinthian_85 wrote:
Or just do what my group does and make the game harder by being incompetent and wasting time.

laugh Recognizable..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.