Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Pigeon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering why extinguishing the fire is not a victory condition.

For example
You win if you rescue 7 victims.
OR
If a the end of a firefighter's Take Action step, there is no more smoke and fire tokens active on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever done this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Pigeon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be very difficult on anything other than the "easy" mode, and I would guess this was batted around in development but was found to be too difficult or distracting.

I think I had one game get close (3-4 smoke/fire markers on the board), but you would really need some luck with the advance fire rolls (no explosions or igniting smoke) and good rolls with the water cannon to really accomplish this.

It might make a good "challenge" mode (put out the fire before you lose 3 people), but with how the game works, I don't think it would be a realistic end game goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim West
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
JBMoby wrote:
Have you ever done this?

We did once, through a combination of lucky rolls to advance fire and lucky deck-gunning. The game was superficially easy (and therefore boring) after that, so maybe we should have stopped and declared ourselves 'winners' at that point.

We lost the next game miserably, of course

Edited to add: This was on medium difficulty.

Edited again to add: I agree though that explicitly making it a victory condition would be confusing to new players, who might think it was as easy as rescuing seven people, so I can see why it isn't one. It's happened once in about twenty plays, more by accident than good play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should probably have to eliminate all hot spots as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Pigeon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would probably be very hard to achieve, but thematically it would fit.

Probably then something like this:
Your objective is to rescue 7 victims. If at the end of a firefighter's Take Action phase there is no smoke or fire token left on the board, then all the victims still in the building are rescued.

Also, it could give you another strategic choice. For example, I know I won't be able to save the 6 victims left, but the fire is confined to a part of the building. Let's concentrate on the fire instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.