Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those near DC, the following gathering caught my eye--and apparently I would have caught other diseases if I had fought during wars in the New World from 1776-1825 (if this professor's findings hold up)!

Washington History Seminar

Historical Perspectives on International and National Affairs

"Revolutionary Mosquitoes: Malaria, Yellow Fever, and Independence in the Americas, 1776-1825"

John McNeill
GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY

John McNeill argues that yellow fever and malaria, both mosquito-borne diseases, helped make the Americas free. In the campaigns of 1780-81 in the Carolinas and Virginia, in the Haitian Revolution of 1791-1804, in the wars of independence in the Spanish Americas of 1808-25, locally born and raised soldiers and militia enjoyed a strong advantage over European troops in terms of their resistance to these two infections. Did disease tip the military balance?

Educated at Swarthmore College and Duke University, John McNeill is currently Professor of History and University Professor in the Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University. His books include The Mountains of the Mediterranean World (1992); Something New Under the Sun: An Environmental History of the 20th-Century World (2000); and Mosquito Empires: War and Ecology in the Greater Caribbean, 1620-1914 (2010). His next will be a global environmental history of the Industrial Revolution.

Monday October 7, 2013

4:00 p.m.

Woodrow Wilson Center, 6th Floor Moynihan Boardroom

Ronald Reagan Building, Federal Triangle Metro Stop

Reservations requested because of limited seating:

mbarber@historians.org or 202-450-3209

Photo ID required for admittance to the building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Won't the shutdown cancel this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.