Subject: Suggestions for Game Donation Sources rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
A few may recall from this thread that my day job (as well as my three other jobs) all involve disabled veterans claims and policy.

Recently, I've become involved in comfort visits to the Armed Forces Retirement Home in Washington, D.C., https://www.afrh.gov/afrh/wash/washcampus.htm. This is a large retirement home for career enlisted service members. They have completed a lot of construction and now have a very nice new building. However, as with many retirement homes, a nice, new facility only does so much for the residents' quality of life. Human interaction is vital and sometimes hard to organize.

The group I've now fallen in with visits the AFRH one Saturday or Sunday every two to three months to deliver supplies and spend a couple of hours visiting with the residents. Generally, I take the wife and kids and we wander the halls having conversations and passing out little goodies. Our next visit is the first weekend in November and we'll be going again in mid-December.

One of the most popular donation items that we seek are decks of cards. Each visit we usually have a box of good-quality playing cards that are quickly snapped up. However, the new building has a puzzle-and-game room that has some basic games but could use some more options.

To that end, I was hoping to obtain some donations to bring during the next two visits. I vaguely recall that many publishers and retailers have programs to donate games for worthy causes (usually schools). Of course, I am primarily looking for simple, gateway games that residents and staff can pick up and play without a hardcore gamer present to walk them through it. Based upon the selection of books and movies in the library, I think simple wargames would be quite popular too.

If anyone has suggestions of people and places to seek for appropriate contributions to a worthy cause, I'd appreciate any thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine if you were to send this information to any publisher, that they wouldn't be willing to send you a few copies of their games. Most publishers have contact information on their web sites.

FunAgain games has a $100 monthly grant program:
https://www.funagain.com/control/rc?p=grants&fromrd=28832

I've had success in getting donations for my monthly library game night from Days of Wonder, Eagles Games, and Gamewrite (amongst others).

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.