Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
For the Dorkentime!
mbmbmbmbmb
The concept of Ray-Shielding, where lasers and turbolasers can't penetrate a shield is well-established as both mechanic and plot device.

So what I'm thinking, is to set up, within campaigns and scenarios, the concept of targets that are Ray-Shielded. For example, a holonet transmitter on an asteroid that needs to be destroyed, or the famous exhaust-port scenario.

I'm thinking this would make bombers and other torpedo carriers be strategic assets in the scenario but without forcing the choice of specific ships.

The rules I'm toying with:
- A target that is Ray-Shielded reduces all incoming attacks by one die
- A target that is Ray-Shielded may roll 3 defensive dice against attacks that don't have the missile or torpedo icon.
- Each Ion Token on a Ray-Shielded ship reduces the defensive dice by 1.
- A target that is Ray-Shielded rolls NO defensive dice against attacks from torpedo or missile weapons

With these rules, a scenario doesn't necessarily require torpedoes, so the player can choose alternate means like lots of guns or ion weapons. But torpedoes are the hammer that would win the fastest.

Thoughts:
Do I really want concussion missiles to be just as good as torpedoes?
Do I really want to deal with the extra rule of reducing attack dice just to allow lasers to have a (small) chance of success?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Medeiros
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another possibility to consider: Ray Shielded targets only take damage from critical hits, not regular hits. So, that makes proton torpedoes desirable (and heavy laser cannons very undesirable). Also, Marksmanship (with advanced or regular proton torpedoes)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tract Gildart
Canada
flag msg tools
If I remember my Star Wars science lore correctly, ray shields exist in parallel/contrast to particle shields, where ray shields would block heat/radiation (which is what lasers are, they are superheated gas), and particle shields guard against things like shrapnel or small asteroids. Solid objects. Either shield type can be overloaded by putting enough hits to it in a given amount of time, as they function by spreading either the kinetic energy or heat around the shield. This is why shields collapse as a unit rather than in holes (except on larger ships of course where there are multiple shields).

Theoretically if the Rebels had been willing to pump enough lasers into it, they could have skipped the torpedoes on the Death Star run. Of course, the amount of energy required to overload a shield on something like the Death Star...

So, what you should really be looking at is the shield function that we already have, just applied only to one type of weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.