Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suns Anvil
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this game, been meaning to pick it up (yea I know I'm like 15 years late to the party), finally did, just wondering how the tiles hold up over time and if there is anything anyone has done to preserve them such as apply a little varnish to edges or anything like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne tiles are very good quality and you don't need to worry about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suns Anvil
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that when punching them out. VERY clean die-cutting!

I just wondered if the cardboard might de-laminate over time (our summers can be terribly humid).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had Carcassonne since 2005, and our tiles have held up just fine over many plays. I wouldn't worry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suns Anvil
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had my tiles for many years without any noticeable degradation and I live in Florida. So I don't think heat and humidity will be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J White
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen any significant wear, and that includes on a couple of copies owned by our college Math Club that get fairly heavy use. Contrasted with something like Dominion cards, Carcassonne tiles are pretty much immortal. I still wouldn't advise spilling a can of Coke on them, but short of that you should be fine.

In addition, there might be some concern about "marking" of the tiles if your varnish or other treatment were perceptibly irregular, or if it turned out to show differently on some expansion sets than the base tiles.

JJW-T.C.H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe if you were playing underwater.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the Anniversary Edition's tiles are of lesser quality IMO. They don't hold up at all.

Those tiles also look thinner. Eventually I had to buy a regular base game, because it was easy to spot which tiles were from the AE, because they were so worn out and thin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Figuière
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No point doing so. Seriously. I have clocked a lot of games, I have the same summer as you, the games have moved accross the country twice, etc.

And to be honest, if you played it so much that they are worn out, you deserve a new copy :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Had my copy for 3 years, and it's had a LOT of plays. A small number of the tiles' pictures (3 or 4 tiles) are slightly coming away from the cardboard, though I could easily just glue them down again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.