Thumb up
1 Posts

King & Assassins» Forums » General

Subject: The Board Game Artwork rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michał Teliga
msg tools
I had the pleasure of working on King & Assassins board artwork and I must say it's been a great fun. I was asked to create two artworks of medieval districts that would be a backgroud for all the action in game. The idea was to show it in isometric projection

I love medieval times! At thew start my first idea was to show all the beauty and complexity of medieval architecture.

First sketches I send to my art manager was showing one building - as I was curious if we have the same vision of style and design.

Here you can find first files I've send to him:

... and he was wuite happy where it was going. As a feedback he send me one note: The king destination building needs to be more chracteristic so players won't mistake any other building with it. That sounds very reasonable and would give the board more diversity.

So I tryed to put my idea with the conception of some sort of castle wall.

And here it all collapsed. When I placed all those buildings it was too narrow. The castle had bad proportions compared to other buildings. Finally from client came note that fields cannot be placed on walls of the buildings (sounds convincing )
So I thought the best idea was to show all that site from bigger distance. Aret nabager agreed that some of the fields can be smaller (the upper ones - like roofs etc.) and placed in the way that their rows and collumns was at the same time still good readible.

Here is example how that idea looks like:

Of course it was quite empty. I couldn't show all the details of walls as with first composition but it gave me an opportunity to fill the streets with a lot more details and it finally lookd like a city with castle - not just some random cluster of buildings.
I hope that all those things you will be able to see on finished artworks very soon - and I hope you will like them
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.