Hide
18 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: what paint do you use rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Twisted Remorse
msg tools
we use Americana acrylic paint and I was curious as to what paint everybody else uses because the paint we use is very cheap and need several coats especially on the light colors.

we also used gesso acrylic primer mixed with a little bit of black paint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Spray Acrylic Primer (Krylon Fusion)
Basic Folk Art/Acrylic paints (available at Walmart)
Minwax wood finish (quick dip method for basic zombies)

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cliff hutton
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
use army painter primes with Army painter war paints and reaper master paints
usually can get away with just one coat except for light colors
on black.

the neurotic flesh primer is great for the Zeds zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B.
United States
Groton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly have Games Workshop paints from playing 40k. Lately when I've bought new paints I went with Vallejo. I used Tamaiya's clear red for blood effects. I'll finish painting and then seal it followed by that clear red. It's glossy so it looks like wet blood. I bought some of their clear green to try on toxic figures when they come in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corvin the Raven
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not yet painted my set, but for other boardgames I used a mix of Games Workshop colors, Vallejo Game color and Formula P3 color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieran Briggs
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Army Painter spray rotting flesh I think its called for undercoat and skin and then Vellajo paints for colours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Norton
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you check out the Painting Zombicide thread a lot of people post their choices with some pictures.

I am using all Army Painter as a lot of people recommended it. Necrotic Flesh Primer and then some base coats and a Strong Tone Quickshade wash. A Matte varnish after that and it looks really good. They are all acrylics, I just order their large set to get a lot of colors and some brushes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee Dubya
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Necrotic Flesh primer from Army Painter for the base. Folk Art acrylic paint for the clothes. QuikShade for the dip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I've actually painted any of my Zombicide yet, I should probably add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twisted Remorse wrote:
the paint we use is very cheap and need several coats especially on the light colors.

Even with higher-quality paints, you'll find this to be true. Especially when painting things yellow. Some companies make great white foundation paints that don't need more than a coat or two, but yellow? THE HORROR!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebon Hawk
United States
Janesville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too use the army painter necrotic flesh for zed primer and their white for the heroes. I then paint with mostly P3 from Privateer Press and a few Games Workshop paints. I use minwax for the zombies at the end. I also use Games Workshop finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadell (GW) all the way. Except dullcoat. I like them, but have not used anything else so not sure how they compare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Citadel paints, Testors glosscote and dullcote, Fine surface primer. I'm happy with all products!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I think mixing makes is good. I use GW and others. Some of the latest GW paints are the best there is. Some aren't. Yellow is a problem for everyone. I often paint white base coat on top of the black primer before painting yellow on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
Army Painter - Primer, paints, dullcote
Vallejo - paints
GW - Inks for "glossy" blood/gore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Twisted Remorse wrote:
the paint we use is very cheap and need several coats especially on the light colors.

Even with higher-quality paints, you'll find this to be true. Especially when painting things yellow. Some companies make great white foundation paints that don't need more than a coat or two, but yellow? THE HORROR!

GWs Base colour Yellow are pretty incredible and will go over black in just a coat or two. If you paint over a lighter colour your laughing.

I've not yet got around to painting my Zombicide but I do paint a lot and tend to use a combination of GW (Citadel), Army Painter and P3 paints mostly although I have a couple of Vallejo. I am tempted to use Army Painter's Barbarian Flesh (I think that's what it's called) primer on the zombies from the base game then use inks to discolour the skin so I can use Necrotic Flesh on the Toxic Zombies to give them more of a green sheen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vallejo primers, Vallejo game colors, some select GW paints incl the old foundation paints and a few metallics, also have a lot of the cheaper craft paints as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.