Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can pt-pt games handle the river aspects of warfare?? I generally avoid operation PTP map games but have been wondering how would games with those types of maps would deal the following situations(or maybe they can't):

1- A riverine fleet chugging up the Mississippi. Does the river itself act as a transit line in which you can move? Would a unit go all the way up the river with limitless movement or would the river be segmented with boxes representing crossings in which it would have to stop??

2- A Confederate fortress that must be reduced or run through. How would one engage what is impeding movement?

3- An army such as King Porus' faces Alexander across a river line. Does this mean a box would have to be placed on the crossing, and if so, how would it denote who is on which side of the river? In other words, how would you defend a river line.

4- How could you construct crossings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. A House Divided uses this type of system, and it handles items 1 & 2 smashingly well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at A House Divided (an excellent game!) Rivers are handled in two ways.

For movement purposes you move quicker and can "jump" over a territory.

And for defense purposes, if the line goes into a "river" border, the defender gets a bonus.

Simple yet elegant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilderness War has intersting treatment of rivers, mostly as connectors between points, but I believe you also cross them. this game is unusual sicne rivers never limit movement/communication but alwaya enhance it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Look at A House Divided (an excellent game!) Rivers are handled in two ways.

For movement purposes you move quicker and can "jump" over a territory.

And for defense purposes, if the line goes into a "river" border, the defender gets a bonus.

Simple yet elegant.

A p2p map with connections that makes some connections more difficult (or easier) to move and/or attack along, in one or both directions, was in one of the very first wargames I ever played:

No rivers that I can remember, but using mechanics like that would answer some of your concerns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
something else that needs to be accounted for is - timescale. Give most Point to Point turns are in weeks/months - a higher movement cost does not make more sense.

From a defense perspective - no reason why that this can not be a modification to a CRT (or something similar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Utrecht wrote:
something else that needs to be accounted for is - timescale. Give most Point to Point turns are in weeks/months - a higher movement cost does not make more sense.

Oh it can. Think about the operational costs of building (or securing)
bridges. Indeed, I'd almost say it shouldn't cost MP's but additional
ops points in CDGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have a lot of material to look over. And I guess, yes PTP maps can model riverine warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.