Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
In part 1, I gave an overview of what the expansion contains. In this preview, I’m going into more detail of the new board, the Dark Alleys of Imp Town where all sorts of strange things are going on.

There are a number of spaces on the Dark Alleys board where you can place one of your groups of imps. The spaces work just like the spaces in the base game, you place your group of imps on them and perform the appropriate action. The top part of the board that you can see below is the black market. There is only 1 space available for the black market each turn, and visiting there allows you to purchase any one of the items currently available. These items are placed on this board at the start of the game but are not replenished – once gone, they are… erm…. gone.

From left to right, the items available are:

An illegal immigrant
The expansion comes with one additional imp worker, not in any of the player colours. Once you get this little guy, he will work for you happily for the rest of the game. However, he doesn’t have the correct paperwork to be allowed to work here, so if anyone spots him, you’ll be in big trouble. He can only work on your board (cleaning cages, entertaining pets, etc), you can't send him to the city. And if he gets injured, then when the doctors realise he doesn’t have permission to be here, they move him to another hospital outside of town (and you lose him).

A pet
Simply take the pet which is in the location. It starts off at size 2 but doesn’t get any bigger whilst it stays in the black market. Note that the group that you send to buy this pet does not need to contain a gold (like the usual pet spaces on the main board).

A cage
Take the cage in the space. The group that went to the black market does not need to contain 2 imps. Presumably they are offering free delivery.

Food
This space has one of the contests on it. Choose one of the food offerings from that contest and take that amount of food.

Improvement
Take the cage improvement. Nothing special here.

Artifact
You get the Artifact. I’d say “nothing special here” too, but Artifacts are always special, in particular the new Magical Treasure Chest!

Now, at the start of the game, I mentioned that you place items into the black market, but what I didn’t mention is that you also place 1 gold counter from the bank on each space. This counter indicates that to actually take the item, you need to pay an extra gold in addition to any gold that was used in the winning group. The guy who runs the black market knows he can charge more than normal. His wife however can be somewhat persuasive (see the Seer, below)

In the lower middle part of the board, you will see the brightly coloured wagon occupied by the mystical Seer. Like all good Seers, this one can see your future and can help you in one of the following ways:

• Look at any unrevealed contest or buyer
• Draw 1 of each pet need cards - you have to throw away the extra cards after you deal the cards to your pets

Also, when visiting the Seer, you must remove 1 gold from one of the available items in the market, thus making it cheaper for that item to be bought. It turns out that the guy who runs the black market is married to the Seer, and she has a certain way of persuading him to lower his prices!

The lower left of the Dark Alleys board is where you get access to one or more facilities, and the bottom right is where you pick up an accessory for your pet. Both of these will be explained in a later preview.

That’s all for now, tune in next week for Preview 3 where we see a psychotherapist for pets and some more about the new cages and cage improvements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
engendro 1976
Colombia
BOGOTA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love this game and I'd like to ask you something.
Please, I'd like this expansión doesn't be Language Dependence, that language doesn´t be necessary in-game text. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Same as the base game. No language dependance. No text on any cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
why would someone want a pet that doesn't age?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing artwork, can't wait for this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Mantuano
United States
Hamilton Square
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
why would someone want a pet that doesn't age?

I think it's supposed to read:

"Doesn't age as along as it is in the black market"

So it won't go off to 'live on a farm'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Already preordered. Can't wait for the 25th...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

Now, at the start of the game, I mentioned that you place items into the black market, but what I didn’t mention is that you also place 1 gold counter from the bank on each space. To actually take the item, you need to pay that gold in addition to any gold that was used in the winning group.

I don't follow the payment system. Could someone translate that a little clearer for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthage wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

Now, at the start of the game, I mentioned that you place items into the black market, but what I didn’t mention is that you also place 1 gold counter from the bank on each space. To actually take the item, you need to pay that gold in addition to any gold that was used in the winning group.

I don't follow the payment system. Could someone translate that a little clearer for me?

I was confused by this until the part about the seer. It sounds like the gold tokens here could just as well be a new type of marker; they mean "this costs an extra gold". If someone visits the seer and removes the extra cost for that item, the gold goes back to the bank.

What's confusing is the phrase "pay THAT gold", as though you're paying the gold piece that's sitting on the board. Maybe it was just poor wording?

I dunno, I could be way off. Possibly there's some other effect (say, a way to put extra gold tokens by items, increasing the cost for someone else to take them) which the odd wording is there to enable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb

While reading this my wallet kept jumping out of my pocket and smacking against the computer screen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
What's confusing is the phrase "pay THAT gold", as though you're paying the gold piece that's sitting on the board. Maybe it was just poor wording?

It was poor wording. The Imp responsible is now clearing up poo. Imp number 2 is editing the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
grasa_total wrote:

It was poor wording. The Imp responsible is now clearing up poo. Imp number 2 is editing the original post.

So is there any way to *add* gold to those spaces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:
grasa_total wrote:

So is there any way to *add* gold to those spaces?

Doesn't seem so. Everything about that gold is in singular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Also, when visiting the Seer, you must remove 1 gold from one of the available items in the market, thus making it cheaper for that item to be bought.

Does that gold go back to the bank? (or to the player who removed it?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Litespeed Rider wrote:
Does that gold go back to the bank? (or to the player who removed it?)

Back to the bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Black Market consists of hire a single imp, get food, a neutered pet, a cage add-on, or an artifact, at the cost of 1 gold and less imps. Sounds like, well, a lot of the same stuff we already have. I was hoping the Black Market would be more original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
a neutered pet,

Neutered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
So the Black Market consists of hire a single imp, get food, a neutered pet, a cage add-on, or an artifact, at the cost of 1 gold and less imps. Sounds like, well, a lot of the same stuff we already have. I was hoping the Black Market would be more original.

What I like about the Black Market is that it's a different resource to an extent. Similar to Spiderstacht, the extra row of cards. What I mean is, often in Petz, I have an extra imp or two at the end, and it's going to be a game of chicken for exactly what the market is worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:

We don't know yet whether the additional pets will have special rules (like Skelly and Yummy). I'd been assuming (hoping?) they would, and that that would be the meat of making the expansion feel different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
We don't know yet whether the additional pets will have special rules (like Skelly and Yummy). I'd been assuming (hoping?) they would, and that that would be the meat of making the expansion feel different.

I'm covering the pets at the end. Saving the best till last
You are right that the black market is just another way of getting stuff we've already seen (well, except the illegal immigrant). The rest of the expansion is all new stuff though, and more on that in previews 3 & 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Nuñez Jimenez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THank you for the review.

Well I have to say that it looks like if this new expansion will ease the game a lot... right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
negroscuro wrote:
THank you for the review.

Well I have to say that it looks like if this new expansion will ease the game a lot... right?

Ease the game? If you mean make the game easier - I'm not sure it does. There's just more going on, so more to take into account
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, don't wasn't easier...just want more petz goodness

Edit:

Have you an idea when this will turn up in UK online stores Paul?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year, Gameslore had an arrangement with CGE and I know they brought back lots of copies of the new CGE games. Assuming they do the same this year, GL will have it available as soon as they get back.

They might even start taking pre-orders, I'm not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.