W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
On Oct. 2, 2013, Mayfair Games announced that it will import and distribute Uwe Rosenberg's Caverna: The Cave Farmers (MSRP $90) in the U.S., with the game expected to be available in November 2013. (Note that Lookout Games is handling the production, with Mayfair handling distribution. Thus, please don't add Mayfair Games as a publisher on this game listing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:
On Oct. 2, 2013, Mayfair Games announced that it will import and distribute Uwe Rosenberg's Caverna: The Cave Farmers (MSRP $90) in the U.S., with the game expected to be available in November 2013. (Note that Lookout Games is handling the production, with Mayfair handling distribution. Thus, please don't add Mayfair Games as a publisher on this game listing.)

But Eric, isn't that the usual deal with US 'publishers'? Or is BGG going to tighten up the definition of a publisher? Without that knowledge prominent, US people don't have any clue as to how to get the game.

Your biggest fan,

Jennifer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge

Quote:

But Eric, isn't that the usual deal with US 'publishers'? Or is BGG going to tighten up the definition of a publisher? Without that knowledge prominent, US people don't have any clue as to how to get the game.

I think the key here is that Lookout is actually publishing the English rules version themselves and is using Mayfair's ability to get games into distribution here, rather than have Mayfair actually do the English publication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caffinedrenchedfrog thegreat
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally buying this, but the price - $90USD - is pretty high.

The Canadian price will probably be $100+, no?

Thoughts?

JP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$90 MSRP? Ouch.

I want to see the components now if it's that pricey! They must be pretty nifty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
framebrain wrote:
Quote:

I think the key here is that Lookout is actually publishing the English rules version themselves and is using Mayfair's ability to get games into distribution here, rather than have Mayfair actually do the English publication.

Brian has the answer. Lookout is responsible for how the game looks and plays, so that's who we want to credit.

In general, for BGG's purposes, a publisher is the one who has its logo on the box (unless, of course, the logo has a notice near it stating that the company in question is distributing the game). If you pick up the box, what matters will be the Lookout Games logo because that's the company that you'll contact should you want to praise them, pitch your own game idea, complain about something, ask for replacement parts, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:

Who will be fulfilling replacement parts? It's going to be confusing if the listed publisher disavows any responsibility for replacements and refers you to a company that's not even listed on the game's BGG entry.

Doh: ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
rrrrupp wrote:
$90 MSRP? Ouch.

I want to see the components now if it's that pricey! They must be pretty nifty.

Real rubies perhaps?

Not TOO out of line... I think Archipelago is/was around the same MSRP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
jschlickbernd wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:

To expand on that latter question, Jennifer, we've debated having a distributor field in game listings to include information along these lines. If you want something from Repos Production, for example, and you live in the U.S., Asmodee is the company that makes that game available to Alliance, ACD and other U.S. game distributors.

That said, adding a distributor field is tricky as (1) that information can and does change more easily than the name of the publisher and (2) I'm not sure that detail matters at the end of the day. If you go to a store and ask them to order Caverna for you, they should be able to do so, either by looking the game up in their own internal database or by contacting their distributor(s) and finding out whether the game is available. Joe Schmoe who plays Caverna with you at a game night in December doesn't need to know how the game got to the store if he wants to order one of his own; he just needs to know the name of the game and perhaps the name of the publisher as well. Any store that can't get the game to him based on that information isn't long for the retail market anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've heard, there is a large number of wooden components in the game...hence the high cost.

Out of curiosity, if Mayfair is distributing the game, will their policy of price determination remain? Or will it be available at the typical online discount via online retailers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:
Joe Schmoe who plays Caverna with you at a game night in December doesn't need to know how the game got to the store if he wants to order one of his own

Oh yes I do. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If its vegimeeples and sheeples instead of cubes then I'm in for the $90. If there are no cubes or disks in this game, I'll buy 2 sets.

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:

To expand on that latter question, Jennifer, we've debated having a distributor field in game listings to include information along these lines. If you want something from Repos Production, for example, and you live in the U.S., Asmodee is the company that makes that game available to Alliance, ACD and other U.S. game distributors.

That said, adding a distributor field is tricky as (1) that information can and does change more easily than the name of the publisher and (2) I'm not sure that detail matters at the end of the day. If you go to a store and ask them to order Caverna for you, they should be able to do so, either by looking the game up in their own internal database or by contacting their distributor(s) and finding out whether the game is available. Joe Schmoe who plays Caverna with you at a game night in December doesn't need to know how the game got to the store if he wants to order one of his own; he just needs to know the name of the game and perhaps the name of the publisher as well. Any store that can't get the game to him based on that information isn't long for the retail market anyway.

OK how about a point of contact for games that are distributed outside of their 'home' country? If there are missing parts, who DO we contact with Caverna, Mayfair or Lookout? Do you know? The other more subtle issue is that of pricing. If it's going to be Mayfair pricing, the OLGS's are forced to only discount 10%. If it's going to be Lookout pricing like Walnut Grove, then pricing should be a lot more competitive.

And at least for me, that's huge. I currently have a pre-order for Caverna at Funagain for $109. Now if the pricing is going to be competitive, I'll definitely cancel that pre-order because I should be able to get the game at ~$70. If the pricing is going to be the usual Mayfair pricing, I might as well keep it, unless I want something else, because I'll get it sooner than Mayfair will get it to the OLGS's.

Any info you have or can find out would be much appreciated!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:

Now if the pricing is going to be competitive, I'll definitely cancel that pre-order because I should be able to get the game at ~$70. If the pricing is going to be the usual Mayfair pricing, I might as well keep it, unless I want something else, because I'll get it sooner than Mayfair will get it to the OLGS's.

I hope it's not normal Mayfair pricing. I'm not really interested in dropping $80+ on a game.

It would have to be the next Agricola for me to buy it at that price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, the MSRP here is 70€, so that's consistent.
Also, everything except for the dwarves (disks) is represented with "eeples" either wood or acryl (ore and rubies)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MiWi wrote:
Also, everything except for the dwarves (disks) is represented with "eeples" either wood or acryl (ore and rubies)

Yeah, but dwarveeples would be awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
MiWi wrote:

Michael - looking forward to your videos of the hot Essen releases this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:

It would have to be the next Agricola for me to buy it at that price.

Not sure if serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Winters
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is simple: How can I preorder this for the $90? I know Fun Again games has a preorder for it for $109 but I want to make sure I get an English version of the game and if Mayfair is distributing it (I am surprised that Z-Man isn't doing it to be honest) in the US I hope it will be in English.

I'll pay $90 for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MirrorsNight wrote:
This is simple: How can I preorder this for the $90? I know Fun Again games has a preorder for it for $109 but I want to make sure I get an English version of the game and if Mayfair is distributing it (I am surprised that Z-Man isn't doing it to be honest) in the US I hope it will be in English.

I'll pay $90 for it.

Mayfair sells direct, so you should be able to go to Mayfairgames.com and pre-order there as soon as they get the page up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
MirrorsNight wrote:

I'll pay $90 for it.

Mayfair sells direct, so you should be able to go to Mayfairgames.com and pre-order there as soon as they get the page up.

They have the page up, it just thinks the game isn't a preorder & it is broken when you try to purchase the game.

http://www.mayfairgames.com/game.php?id=411&stock=MFG3501&na...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Winters
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McJarvis wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:
MirrorsNight wrote:

I'll pay $90 for it.

They have the page up, it just thinks the game isn't a preorder & it is broken when you try to purchase the game.

Broken in what way? (I don't know what you mean)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MirrorsNight wrote:
McJarvis wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:
MirrorsNight wrote:

I'll pay $90 for it.

Link doesn't work for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
MirrorsNight wrote:

If you click on "order now", a page comes up that simply says...

Error Page wrote:

A Problem Has Occurred

Please See Below For Details:

The previous form attempted to add an internally undefined product into the shopping basket. Please notify the webmaster of this problem and the URL which brought you here.

Error Code : Not Available

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm aware of the questions and issues posted here as of now, and I'll try and collect some answers tomorrow...

Alex Yeager
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.