Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

From news reports - "Orange cones block the main entrance to Mount Rushmore in the Black Hills. [b]Even some viewing areas along roads are blocked off."[/b]

I mean come on now. I sorta get closing gift shops and such. I even kinda sorta understand why they might close the parking lots. But blocking off roadside stops? I mean the thing is massive and visable from well outsde the park. It seem to me they couldn't afford a drape,

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Some-tourists-upset-by...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A similar thing happened with the WWII memorial in DC. It's typically unstaffed, but an employee was exempted from furlough to fence it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
One of my favorite websites, Nasa' Astronomy Picture of the Day is down. Gamesmanship. It's just attitude to take the whole site down and not necessary.

So you don't put up a picture today with a note that says "Closed due to Shutdown" but taking down everything else? Silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
wysire wrote:
One of my favorite websites, Nasa' Astronomy Picture of the Day is down. Gamesmanship. It's just attitude to take the whole site down and not necessary.

Because static pages require constant maintenance, amirite?

shake

I could see not putting up anything new, but you don't actually have to spend money to leave the photos that were already there.

It's petty, vindictive, and exactly what I expect from this tyrannical regime.

Pretty sure this was covered yesterday.

Again you can't support the shutdown, but then complain about what is actually shut down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
I dislike this gamesmanship. Almost as much as I dislike the gamesmanship of the government shutdown in the first place. Both parties can suck a dick.

I am still going to call you on this - what are you trying to accomplish with the "suck a dick" comment? - and how is this not a denigrating to homosexuals?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Waiting for the government to buy a Christo-sized curtain to place over the Statue of Liberty so that citizens won't be able to accidentally see it from passing boats.

I believe Obama is funding a new department within DHS called PEST... for Parks Enforcement Storm Troopers. The idea is they will patrol America along any roadways or sea lanes that have direct line of sight to a closed national park. They will broadcast instructions via IF, microwave, wi-fi, smoke signal, FM and AM, and loud speakers for any citizen traversing those routes to avert their eyes and not look at the closed park feature.

Anyone caught looking will be arrested and forced to spend 3 days attempting to register for the ACA.

Japanese tourists are exempt so long as they are using cameras and not directly viewing the feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many wonderful lessons we could draw. Unfortunately the only group more short-sighted than the U.S. governing elite is the public that elects them. I'm reasonably well convinced that the conclusion many will take from all of this is "well at least my side has figured out how to make the pie smaller but increase my slice". We are two generations away from any actual fix, regardless of how you define the term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
I dislike this gamesmanship. Almost as much as I dislike the gamesmanship of the government shutdown in the first place. Both parties can suck a dick.

I am still going to call you on this - what are you trying to accomplish with the "suck a dick" comment? - and how is this not a denigrating to homosexuals?

How does the comment only (or even primarily) apply to homosexuals?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

Women suck dicks...well, not as often as I'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
stayman wrote:

From news reports - "Orange cones block the main entrance to Mount Rushmore in the Black Hills. [b]Even some viewing areas along roads are blocked off."[/b]

I mean come on now. I sorta get closing gift shops and such. I even kinda sorta understand why they might close the parking lots. But blocking off roadside stops? I mean the thing is massive and visable from well outsde the park. It seem to me they couldn't afford a drape,

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Some-tourists-upset-by...

Wow they are just being ASSHOLES.... I was just at Mount Rushmore last month and the PARKING facility is PRIVATELY owned and run... so to keep them from operating is just being spiteful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
wysire wrote:

shake

I could see not putting up anything new, but you don't actually have to spend money to leave the photos that were already there.

Again you can't support the shutdown, but then complain about what is actually shut down.

Yes you can! I don't happen to support the shut down... but if I did think it was a good idea to force people to realize how out of control the budget is... I could still oppose the SPENDING of MONEY during the shutdown to block access to things that DON'T COST money to leave alone. This is a publicity stunt. And I can disapprove of publicity stunts no matter what I think about the real issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
wysire wrote:

shake

Yes, yes I can. Because what they're choosing to shut down is designed to have maximum visibility but minimal effect. It's political theater. They're also spending more money to shut things down than those things actually cost to operate. And of course they're shutting down parks that aren't even financed by the budget as shown above.

I really think you are giving "them" too much credit here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:

Yes you can! I don't happen to support the shut down... but if I did think it was a good idea to force people to realize how out of control the budget is... to SPEND MONEY during the shutdown to block access to things that DON'T COST money to leave alone and allow use of is a stunt. And I can disapprove of publicity stunts no matter what I think about the real issues.

Or maybe we can ignore all these stupid side shows and get back to the problem at hand that the GOVERNMENT IS STILL SHUTDOWN!!!!

Who gives a rats ass if we can't see Mount Rushmore while 2.8 million people are not getting paid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

That's twice in one day you've brought this up. Is this a new pet peeve of yours? You didn't a while back when deadkenny went cujo and you posted right below him. Why now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Who gives a rats ass if we can't see Mount Rushmore while 2.8 million people are not getting paid.

While I'm certainly sympathetic to the plight of millions of families caught in the middle of all of this, I think a more pertinent question in the long run is "If these are nonessential positions, why does our federal government have so many of them in the first place?"

Shouldn't our federal government be in the business of doing the essential things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willward wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

While I'm certainly sympathetic to the plight of millions of families caught in the middle of all of this, I think a more pertinent question in the long run is "If these are nonessential positions, why does our federal government have so many of them in the first place?"

Shouldn't our federal government be in the business of doing the essential things?

Aren't most positions in any organization "non-essential"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
Willward wrote:
Utrecht wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

How does the comment only (or even primarily) apply to homosexuals?

I have to agree, sucking a dick is not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. Unless you have a throw-back victorian imagination or you are a puritan. Both parties can eat shit and die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Utrecht wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

Women suck dicks...well, not as often as I'd like.

Don't you mean women don't suck -your- dick as often as you'd like? Because if you need to have the frequency of dick-sucking of others to be confirmed, I could direct you to some websites...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Willward wrote:

I don't consider national parks, museums, libraries, the arts non-essential things.

Non-essential means that we can "survive" without them for a while. But if you don't think we should protect our CULTURE from our rampant capitalism, then that is quite sad.

Essential apparently means something else to some people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

Yes you can! I don't happen to support the shut down... but if I did think it was a good idea to force people to realize how out of control the budget is... to SPEND MONEY during the shutdown to block access to things that DON'T COST money to leave alone and allow use of is a stunt. And I can disapprove of publicity stunts no matter what I think about the real issues.

Or maybe we can ignore all these stupid side shows and get back to the problem at hand that the GOVERNMENT IS STILL SHUTDOWN!!!!

As I said I don't support the shutdown.

However this kind of petty stunt is likely to make me think much worse of the current administration. It brings them right down into the gutter with the people they are supposedly opposing. Worse there is no LINK between the people they are hurting with these actions and the cause they are fronting. It is just gratuitous damage rather than the naturally occurring fall out which is bad enough.

How does hurting more people than absolutely required do anything other than show how long the arms of the government already are and how totally willing they are to use those powers in ways they were never intended to be used when it suits them to make some political point?

Talk about not being trust-worthy. It only highlights why government is probably already too big for comfort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

Those people were addressed with bills that the President threatened to veto. He's unwilling to compromise.

Is there anything conditional in those bills? Such as "We will fund group X during the shutdown but only if we defund group Y on a more permanent basis?" Because that may make the veto-threat a little more understandable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Willward wrote:

Perhaps. But in most cases we have the freedom to choose whether or not to fund the organization. When faced with the threat of prison by choosing not to fund the federal government, we have a right to expect more. Why did you not just answer the question? Shouldn't our federal government be in the business of doing the essential things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
It only highlights why government is probably already too big for comfort.

When you say too big, what do you mean? Like a giant pile of goo, no! The government employs ~2.2 million "people", humans, like you and me. Who feed their families, pay their bills, buy stuff, pay taxes, make up society.

The government isn't a giant pile of anonymous material..It's people! It employs people.

Can't say unemployment is high on one hand and say federal workers(people) need to be laid off on the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
Wow they are just being ASSHOLES.... I was just at Mount Rushmore last month and the PARKING facility is PRIVATELY owned and run... so to keep them from operating is just being spiteful.

That's not quite true, the parking garage operates under a contract between the National Park Service and the Mount Rushmore Society.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willward wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Willward wrote:

Perhaps. But in most cases we have the freedom to choose whether or not to fund the organization. When faced with the threat of prison by choosing not to fund the federal government, we have a right to expect more. Why did you not just answer the question? Shouldn't our federal government be in the business of doing the essential things?

Well I guess as illustrated above, a lot of the fighting is really over differences of opinion in what would be essential in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.