Subject: Questions on new Pegasus locations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the core game a few times now, and I absolutely love it. A mate of mine recently got the Pegasus expansion. I've read up on the rules, and it seems that some of the locations seem a bit useless. It would be a waste of an action in most cases.

Apart from the airlock, which is pretty cool, what is the point in:

Pegasus CIC- seems to me that this is just like 'weapons control' on Galactica, but slightly better firepower (chance to damage twice, Weps-Con is only a 50% chance at single damage to a basestar) at the risk of damaging your own locations. It just doesnt seem worth it to try to hit a basestar twice on a 25% chance, when you have an even higher chance of damaging a location, which is pretty bad. Maybe even damaging the CIC itself, and then having to go to sickbay on top of that.

Engine room- It seems a waste of an action just to ensure that you'l increase jump prep at the Chrysis, considering that most of them have jump prep anyway. you'd have wasted your action, and 2 cards as well. why bother?

Main batteries- this one actually seems pretty cool. but assuming that you target a space area only containing enemy ships, then theres no risk to hitting a civvy or a viper even if you roll badly, right? at worst, you miss, with no penalty.
Also, maybe having Helo XO someone who camps here, maybe in conjunction with SP's as well, you could use Helo's ability to re-roll any failed rolls, and it seems a bit of a game breaker because you'd very quickly destroy every enemy ship on the board.

So 2 pointless locations, and 1 really really overpowered one.
Is my summary of this correct, or have I misunderstood the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You haven't misunderstood anything.

9 games out of 10, since you can choose Pegasus to take damage on Galactica's behalf, its locations aren't used and it's used as 4 extra hit points for Galactica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
Engine Room can be quite useful during the final jump cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, those other 1/10 games, some of the Pegasus locations can be invaluable.

In my very first game as Ellen Tigh, I spent the entire game feeding Treachery cards to the Engine Room which definitely helped toward a smooth Human victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One thing about CIC and Main Batteries is that both Strategic Planning and Calculations are in the game, so you can get the benefits of those spaces without the risks if you're willing to spend cards. Regarding the Engine Room....it's expensive, but sometimes you absolutely *have* to have a jump icon, and the Engine Room is the only way to ensure 100% that that happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pegasus location are very group-dependent and situational. We use them seldom, some groups use them more. So, nothing to worry about. Perhaps you find more uses for them in future games.

(In our variant Pegasus appears after the first jump.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why? Is it still not just a waste of a turn action? I could be busy fighting cylons on the final jump cycle. Wasting actions and cards just to slightly increase the pace seems a bad idea to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually intend to play as ellen the next time we play. she gets 4 useful cards, and 1 treachery as her weakness, but I was going to use her ability every single turn to get 2 extra cards, and then when I have a lot of cards and am forced to discard, I planned to just throw the treachery cards away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to bgg.

If you have 2 revealed cylons, and a lot of enemy ships and things are going down to the wire, the ONLY thing that will win the game for the humans is a jump, and that needs jump icons. I've seen games where the humans might survive the next cylon's turn, but definitely will NOT survive two of them. So engine room it is. Especially if all the raptors are gone, then scout cards become useful cards to throw into the engine room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike the card cost of moving between ships. I tend to find my role, and stay there.
As a politician, I will stay on colonial one and just continually farm the press room for extra cards, increasing our odds to win the crysis skill checks. (or stay in prez-office and farm for Q cards)
So with Pegasus in play, I would probably just sit down in the main batteries and hope to be XO'd.
Anytime a fellow loyal human needs to make a double strike against the cylon fleet, they will simply just XO me in their turn.

One more question. On the core game regarding boomers' once-per-turn ability, does she resolve her own crysis card first, and THEN she looks at the next one that would be intended for the player on her left? Or does she look at her own, and decide to discard it, or use it?
I think it is the first one, because I think it specifically says at the END of her turn, meaning after her own crysis phase?

With this in mind, boomer might be one of the best characters, because her main once-per-turn ability is a lot better than most characters have

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose if you have a couple of useless cards to waste, but even then I usually just prefer to save them up and throw them into a crucial skill check just to make sure it comes off as a human victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:
I suppose if you have a couple of useless cards to waste, but even then I usually just prefer to save them up and throw them into a crucial skill check just to make sure it comes off as a human victory.

In some situations, passing crises can be pretty irrelevant to a human win. There are definitely times were the best chance the humans have is to jump ASAP, and the Engine Room guarantees you get the jump icon you need. Being able to pass skill checks doesn't help if you're being swarmed by raiders, or are close to losing on damage.

By the way, with Boomer you have it right...Recon happens *after* her crisis. Both of Boomer's abilities are very strong, but her skill set is weak and her drawback is very harsh. A well-balanced character on the whole, but one of extreme highs and lows.

I agree that in general, I'm not eager to discard two cards to guarantee a jump icon that I'll get a little over half the time anyway (which is good...if the Engine Room was something you always wanted to do, it'd really warp the game). The game, however, is not about following some script regardless of what happens. To succeed, you need to react to your current situation, and sometimes a jump icon would be worth more than an entire handful of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, with Boomer you have it right...Recon happens *after* her crisis. Both of Boomer's abilities are very strong, but her skill set is weak and her drawback is very harsh. A well-balanced character on the whole, but one of extreme highs and lows.
[/q]

I was a little bit worried that the person to your left might realise you are a cylon if they continually keep drawing really bad crysis cards, and they know that you have been checking them and leaving them on the top.

I suppose there is always the doubt that maybe if you move one to the bottom, nobody has anyway to know if the next one is better or worse than that.
But still, i felt they might catch on if they're paying attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:

ahhh! how do i quote!??
sorry, i am new here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can either hit the "quote" button, or type [q] [/ q] (without the space in the middle of the second part) around the portion you want to quote.

As far as Boomer...yeah, you definitely have to be careful about how you're using her as a Cylon. Among experienced players, if you leave a crisis on top that doesn't have a jump icon, you're basically admitting you're a cylon. Of course, depending on the situation, that might be worth it anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
.Of course, depending on the situation, that might be worth it anyway.

Why would it ever be 'worth it'?
if the humans arnt jumping, then that entire players turn gets the humans no closer to victory. the only thing that could have possibly happened that turn is the humans suffering losses.

obviously the person who had the turn did get to draw cards, but only 5 cards.

and at least 5 cards usually play into any skillcheck anyway, so the humans are still losing out on total card value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:
fizzmore wrote:
.Of course, depending on the situation, that might be worth it anyway.

if the humans arnt jumping, then that entire players turn gets the humans no closer to victory. the only thing that could have possibly happened that turn is the humans suffering losses.

Don't forget that that crisis without a jump icon might be a Cylon Attack.. Or a particularly nasty crisis that hits the humans in the worst place (low resources, Heavy Raider activations with boarded Centurions, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's a very simple example.

Jump track is at Red 2. The upcoming turn order is:

Human1
Human2
Cylon1
Cylon2

There's a large cylon fleet bearing down on some civies.

If you get a jump icon on Human1's turn, then on Human 2's turn you can activate FTL and jump away before the Cylons can use their fleet. If you don't, then you're going be up against two cylon turns in a row with the current board...it's not difficult to construct a scenario where a double raider activation would mean death for humanity. In this sort of situation, Engine Room is a very solid move, guaranteeing that you'll get the jump icon and therefore be able to jump away on Human2's turn.

Similarly, if the turn order is

Human1
Cylon1
Cylon2

and the jump track is on Blue (-1), but FTL Control is damaged, the Engine Room is the only way to be certain that you'll be able to jump before the cylons get their turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:

Oops, I misundertood your response here with my previous reply. What I was saying is that as Cylon Boomer you might leave a bad crisis on top even though it would out you as a cylon, because the damage done is worth outing yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh i see, thanks. so i suppose it is like a 'desperation' tactic for when you desperately need to jump quickly.

but it would be a waste to just have every player continually using it right from the start just to slightly increase how fast you go, without actually contributing anythign to any otehr aspect of the game yeah?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
Oops, I misundertood your response here with my previous reply. What I was saying is that as Cylon Boomer you might leave a bad crisis on top even though it would out you as a cylon, because the damage done is worth outing yourself.

nah, that wouldnt be as devastating as boomer potentially could be.
her superpower is so goddamn good that she can just laugh in your face and say "yeah! you immediately fail this very important skillcheck, and there's nothing you can do about it!"

if she is soft-revealing, she should make you instantly fail a skillcheck, rather than just leaving a 'bad one' on top, that you might end up passing anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can do both....leave a bad one on top, then use your OPG to fail it. That's one of the interesting things about Boomer, as a Cylon Recon can be a double-edged sword, sometimes forcing you to either bury a crisis that's bad for humanity or out yourself as a Cylon.

As far as the engine room... yeah, it's not something you want to do all the time...if it was, it wouldn't be very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If shooting at a Basestar, I'll usually use CiC rather than Weapons Control - there's a 1 in 8 chance of destroying the basestar outright, which can be doubled with a Strategic Planning, and only a 3 in 32 chance of sending myself to Sickbay (reduced to 1 in 32 by Strategic Planning).

The Airlock's value is obvious, though, in practice, more as a threat than for actual use - sometimes it's better to force the Cylon to spend their turn revealing from the Brig than to deprive them of their Supercrisis...

Main Batteries are obviously good - most of the time you can aim them so there's no downside.

The Engine Room is trickier - I've seen games where humans lost because they kept getting non-Jump crises until the Cylons managed to finish them off - some players have argued that it's worth just ignoring everything else and relying on the Engine Room (possibly augmented by Scouting) to rack up the Jump icons - if you're prepared to spend Strategic Planning on a Launch Scout, then that's pretty close to an Engine Room activation - both spend 2 cards, the Engine Room's cards will be cheaper and will guarantee a jump icon, but doesn't avoid attack crises; the Planned Scout requires specific cards, and doesn't guarantee the jump, but also helps prevent an attack...

Personally, I think the Research Lab is less useful than any of the Pegasus locations - if you're prepared to spend two actions drawing cards, the Press Room will usually get you a Consolidate Power on the first draw, and then playing that will get you the two cards you would have drawn from the Research Lab, plus an extra yellow card - okay, moving between ships to get there, and to make use of the Repair cards you were after, will reduce the benefit - unless you have spare cards to discard (Treachery or excess Piloting). On the other hand, if you can spend multiple actions there, the advantages of the Press Room over the Research Lab just keep increasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
Personally, I think the Research Lab is less useful than any of the Pegasus locations

Yeah, I think it's by far the most useless location on the board. Why would anybody use it when they can just consolidate power and draw one politics to replace (or even increase) the one lost, and then the second draw can be whatever they like, not just tactics or engineering, as with the research lab.

The only time i used it was when I was a cylon, every single human was in the brig, there were loads of raiders outside, and i was wasting time in galactica rather than going out in a viper and slowing them down.
The reason i didnt immediately reveal and pile on the pressure was because my reveal action was to brig somebody, which cant be used if every human is in the brig. My plan was to bet against them escaping as much as I can, while purposefully failing every other skillcheck as well, and then if one does escape, I can do my reveal action to put him straight back in.

The problem was that when one of them did escape, the next human player to take a turn just XO'd him to put ME in the brig instead. which totally ruined my plan, because I cant reveal action in the brig.

Of course by then everything was going to hell on the battlefield. No vipers being activated, and loads of civvies getting destroyed, so I won pretty easily anyway even though they did manage to get me in the brig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
most exp related material in green

In general, when you move to Peggy (and C1 for that matter), you're much more "vulnerable" to getting sent to sickbay, as now you need to spend another card to move back, or give up on that altogether.

Starfox4 wrote:
I've played the core game a few times now, and I absolutely love it. A mate of mine recently got the Pegasus expansion. I've read up on the rules, and it seems that some of the locations seem a bit useless. It would be a waste of an action in most cases.

Apart from the airlock, which is pretty cool, what is the point in:

To contrast this... executing a human can be dangerous, as the group has now wasted cards, lost a morale, and the skill cards of the executed player. That player also comes back with no new skill cards until his Receive Skill Cards step. Executions are moreso "free" through crisis cards, or the cheaper 7YPtr spot on Resistance HQ on NC.
Brigging him first to make the difficulty 4 less, then using Airlock is now a 2 step process.

Sometimes, executing a cylon helps him, as he didn't have any affinity to his skill cards nor getting a super crisis card. You now save him an action from revealing, and he can take cylon turns ASAP, such as Caprica to get a crisis that hits morale, or use Cylon Fleet.

Starfox4 wrote:
Pegasus CIC- seems to me that this is just like 'weapons control' on Galactica, but slightly better firepower (chance to damage twice, Weps-Con is only a 50% chance at single damage to a basestar) at the risk of damaging your own locations. It just doesnt seem worth it to try to hit a basestar twice on a 25% chance, when you have an even higher chance of damaging a location, which is pretty bad. Maybe even damaging the CIC itself, and then having to go to sickbay on top of that.
You can really do a number on basestars with this. SP, hit twice, get the damage token that counts as 2 damage, and you've now killed a basestar. Throw in a Major Victory for a shot a free morale while you're at it cool Probably the only way a single player can destroy a basestar with one action without using a nuke. WC requires someone to weaken a bs, or to XO you on weapons control. Speaking of which, XO-ing someone to Peg CIC is risky, but you stand a better chance to destroy a basestar (or even 2! wow )

That said, Weapons control is more flexible (can target raiders, heavies, AND basestars), and of course we're familiar with the hassle of discarding a skill card to travel to Peggy

Starfox4 wrote:
Engine room- It seems a waste of an action just to ensure that you'l increase jump prep at the Chrysis, considering that most of them have jump prep anyway. you'd have wasted your action, and 2 cards as well. why bother?
It's an alternative to LS. If it works like with it does for me, when you LS or use ER, the next crisis has a jump icon anyways. If you didn't do either, then the next one woN'T have a jump icon. It's just how they works

As mentioned, it's very nice to ER when the jump token is closer towards the end of the jump prep track, as you're less concerned about getting CAC (Cylon Attack Cards) being closer to jumping. If you have cards to spend anyways (over your hand limit), may as well garuantee a jump icon. And yeah, as someone else pointed out, garuanteed things are worth their weight in gold in this game.

I've had a 3p game that dragged on b/c we had a dearth of jump icons, ER was damaged, and no1 had the blue to fix it.

I guess you can use this to stick the Mutineer (Daybreak) with a Mutiny card, but that takes trust for the current player, him, to grant you an action like that.

Starfox4 wrote:
Main batteries- this one actually seems pretty cool. but assuming that you target a space area only containing enemy ships, then theres no risk to hitting a civvy or a viper even if you roll badly, right? at worst, you miss, with no penalty.
Also, maybe having Helo XO someone who camps here, maybe in conjunction with SP's as well, you could use Helo's ability to re-roll any failed rolls, and it seems a bit of a game breaker because you'd very quickly destroy every enemy ship on the board.
Remember, Helo can only use his special on HIS turn! I believe this was covered on another thread, but just in case.

FWIW, Main Batt creates timing issues... you're forced to use it, or XO someone there now than next turn, as if the raiders move into a sector with civvies/vipers, then it's now risky.

If playing Exo, you can risk hitting a Mark VII. If playing with Day, you risk hitting an AR (Assault Raptor). Those things just get straight up get destroyed, making them even harder to get back

Starfox4 wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
Personally, I think the Research Lab is less useful than any of the Pegasus locations

Yeah, I think it's by far the most useless location on the board. Why would anybody use it when they can just consolidate power and draw one politics to replace (or even increase) the one lost, and then the second draw can be whatever they like, not just tactics or engineering, as with the research lab.
In a 5p game, the 2 cylons obviously aren't going to do any repairs for you. One's out in space, the other's in the Brig. You do NOT draw any yellows nor blues (e.g. Saul, Adama, Helo... Cain). Or another case is you don't have a CP. Not that unreasonable since adding an additional 5 skill cards to each colored deck can dilute things enough for worse luck to take place. Just draw a blue now from RL so you can use it next turn, instead of hoping for CP next turn, CP-ing for blue, then hoping for a Repair (2 turns later).

Of course, it's not used often. However, I've seen games where RL has gotten more use than many other locations, so it truly does depend on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.