Subject: Memoir 44 Expansions or C&C: Ancients? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Memoir 44 and was wondering if I should get the expansions along with the desert/snow board or Command & Colors: Ancients, what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You likely won't be disappointed in either, but IMO C&C:A is a better game than M'44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eastern Front expansion does make Mem '44 a better game, but as said above, I think C&C:Ancients is the deeper more interesting game and will fare better over time with better replayability and expansions to take it into more and various ancients (like the one that's already been announced and is racing up the GMT P500 list).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest finding someone that has a copy of C&C: Ancients so that you can play a few games first and decide for yourself. I will add that Memoir '44 has been slowly ratcheting up the compexity and variability with their expansions that C&C:A offers right out of the box.

C&C:A is also the first Ancients game I've played (and I've played several different miniatrues systems) that gave me a of good understanding about Ancients battles, the different types of units that fought them, and the tactics they applied.

If you go the C&C:A route, you might want to:

Set aside a few hours to apply stickers to the wooden blocks. (You can cut this time in half and have plenty of spares if you apply the stickers to just one side and play "counter style.")

Trim the your stickers for your dice so that they fit inside the recesses on the cube. Then get a nice gloss acrylic spray sealer and seal the heck out of 'em.

Get a sheet of plexiglass to place over the map. (Not bad to have in general for any board game you play.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The M'44 terrain expansion kit adds replayability to the basic game with new terrain types and scenarios. The Soviet expansion adds some very good Eastern Front scenarios and additional terrain. The "Sniper" rules are fresh (snipers are incredibly annoying to deal with) and the new terrain types in both expansion modules add interest without complexity.

C&C Ancients, however, is a step up in complexity and several steps up in richness of play. The game is generating tremendous interest and will, I'm sure, also generate large numbers of fan-designed scenarios. The only "downside" is blocks with stickers instead of miniatures (and many don't consider this a disadvantage at all).

If you enjoy WW II, don't let the expansions pass by and go OOP before you procure them (there is also a Japanese expansion coming, reportedly at the end of June, from DoW--including CAVES and naval fire support).

But DO NOT miss the opportunity to play and own C&C Ancients (and its upcoming Macedonian-Achaemenid expansion). One of the best light wargames ever published for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
Get a sheet of plexiglass to place over the map. (Not bad to have in general for any board game you play.)

This is a must! I picked one up a week ago and didn't realize how much better it made things. Flat map.. flat playing surface... spill protection... and it looks nice too.

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Where's the best place to get a sheet of plexiglass...the local Home Depot? Can I just give them the dimensions and they will cut it to the size I want?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
rogdog13 wrote:
Where's the best place to get a sheet of plexiglass...the local Home Depot? Can I just give them the dimensions and they will cut it to the size I want?

The plexiglass tends to come in standard size sheets, 3' x 4' or 2' x 3' (which is fine for M44). I have several with hardboard the same size - get some drafting board clips at your local art store/stationers to clip them together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb

That's exactly the same question I asked myself. I have played some Eastern Front scenarios, and I really enjoyed (Stalingrad, waou!), but... I've put my money in C&C, and the money comming soon in the first C&C expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C&C Ancients is the better purchase in my opinion. There's more game here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Easterlin
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up plexiglass from my local Lowe's. They cut a sheet to the exact measurement I needed (30" x 20") for Ancients. Home Depot (at least my local one) does not cut the sheets for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I absolutely love C&C: Ancients, it's now my highest rated game. Haven't played Mem'44 or Battle Cry, and honestly I don't intend to.

On the subject of plexiglass, I picked up a sheet from Home Depot (36" x 30"), and it's a little too big for my table. It sticks off the edges a bit. Someone told me that if I try to cut it, it will probably crack. I went a little bigger than I needed because I didn't really want to buy multiple sheets for different games. But now I wish I purchased a smaller one.

As of now, the only games I own that I need it for are C&C:Ancients and Breaking Away, and the latter is even smaller than Ancients. So should I cut my sheet? What's the best way? Or should I buy a new sheet, perhaps at a Lowes where they will cut it for me? 30" x 20" sounds good.

Also, what's the preferable thickness. I got one of the thinner ones, because I did not want to pay the extra price. The problem is, when my wife lays her arms on it, it shifts the terrain pieces underneath, which is next to impossible to fix once all the blocks are on top. This is partly because it sticks off the edge of the table, but does thickness have anything to do with it staying put on the table?

Oh, but definitely 2 thumbs up for C&C: Ancients.

Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine sticks a bit off the table as well because my table it oval, and is a tad bit bigger than I wanted but that's fine. I also got mine at Home Despot (right around $15). It currently covers all my wargame maps with several exceptions.

If you have a Lowes, I would get a new cut sheet, then you have two to choose from. Thicker is fine as long as it isn't too heavy, unless you don't mind lugging it around if you plan to travel with it.

Don't forget your CC:A map is 22"x34". In fact, a lot of wargame maps use this size or smaller, so if your table can handle it a 23"x35" might not be bad (I was shooting for 24"x36" but ended up with the same sheet you got, 30x36).

Best of luck!

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just about to play my first game of C&C:A, when my friend arrives.

I really enjoyed sticking the stickers on. Totally recommend using a pair of tweezers for the job; improves speed of both peeling, sticking and improves accuracy.

I also dropped into my local B&Q (UK) store to search for some plexi-glass (whatever that is). I stumbled upon a 24"x32" poster frame with no border for just £5. The plastic is a perfect fit for my dinner table and covers the map completely with lots of room either side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to bring up poster frames. I think they're worth getting rather than just a sheet of plexi. I get mine at a local craft store--they have lots of different sizes and are about 10 or 20 bucks each. You really don't want a plain seet of plexiglass sticking out from the edge of the table: you'll bump it and then it's a mess. Posters fix this. Plus, you can hang them on the wall and admire the map when you're done playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all the M'44 expansion and C&C Ancients.

Bang for buck, Ancients is the better deal. The M'44 expansions are overpriced for what you get (new army, tiles, badges and some scenarios).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.