Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From my understand there are two reasons a werewolf would be killed at night:

1. The entire column consists of werewolves.

2. The werewolf does this simply to cause confusion.

In the case of number two, why? Seems to me a weird strategy. Haven't actually played a full game yet so I'm just trying to work out strategies so I can tell my players this weekend (our first game!). Thanks in advance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's almost certainly going to be case 1.

Some people have suggested that the wolf might kill their own in order to make villagers think the rest of the column is also wolves, but this doesn't do any good because the face up cards will all get mixed anyway and then nobody (even the wolves) knows anything about the vertical cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can imagine that a scenario where it makes sense for the werewolves to opt to kill a wolf instead of a villager is possible... But I can't come up with that specific scenario myself.

If the werewolves ever eat their own, lynch the other one(s) from that column!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

If the werewolves ever eat their own, lynch the other one(s) from that column!


No reason to, the unseen cards will be shuffled in with the rest of the vertical cards.


The only information that players might assume from werewolves killing their own, is that the other cards in the column WERE wolves, but may or may not be anymore. That may shift their attitude towards the horizontal cards (which don't get mixed in with the other column cards). To that end, I suppose a wolf could justify killing their own, if they have seen all of the other wolves among horizontal cards. Killing their own may lead the villagers to believe that the horizontal cards are innocent.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I missed that rule! Woops!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
The only information that players might assume from werewolves killing their own, is that the other cards in the column WERE wolves, but may or may not be anymore. That may shift their attitude towards the horizontal cards (which don't get mixed in with the other column cards). To that end, I suppose a wolf could justify killing their own, if they have seen all of the other wolves among horizontal cards. Killing their own may lead the villagers to believe that the horizontal cards are innocent.


So it's mega-meta game strategies only, really. Seems like killing a wolf is either a mistake, desperation, or a double-double bluff

Sounds good. Thanks guys for clearing this up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hannay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you reshuffle all the cards when a werewolf is killed, does this mean you also remove all votes? So you might do it if the cards with votes on in the other columns are also werewolves, and you want to clear those?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xorsyst_uk wrote:
If you reshuffle all the cards when a werewolf is killed, does this mean you also remove all votes?


You are correct:
Quote:
If a werewolf is killed at night, all the vertical cards are picked up and shuffled and placed back in the spots where they were. Votes are removed from those cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.