Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solo player loves Lotr TCG but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Northwing
msg tools
sometimes I am too tired and just looking for a little fun. I realize I make dumb mistakes or routinely pick up a deck I know I outside in and feel like I'm wasting time.
Also I play Mage Knight, which is amazing but takes too long and again I make dumb mistakes if I'm not really in it.

I'm looking for a game that takes Lotr:TCG time to play but is a little more pick up and play, not a whole lot of setup like Mage Knight or building decks in Lotr. I've been looking at Pathfinder, but reading about it kinda turned me off as I think I might just think it too "simple". Also, I looked at Sentinels, which I think would be fun, but unsure if it's too fiddly or complex so that is really isn't faster or simpler than Lotr if I'm not feeling up to that. I'm an old World in Flames player so I can handle fiddlyness and huge game play, but that's not always what I want.

A bit long but I want you to understand what I'm after.

Appreciate all recommendations, and would love if you wrote a sentence of how it relates to what I wrote above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big time solo gamer and one of my go-to games on an unengaged game is Space Hulk Death Angel the Card Game It plays quickly and is engaging even when I'm not super mentally engaged. It's also cheap and easy to transport!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael. Sentinels may be a good one to look at as it's pick-up-and-play since you use standard decks for each hero. Grab however many hero decks you want to use, whichever Villain deck, and a location deck...you're all set. However, it is definitely fiddly with its bookkeeping. If you have an iDevice there is an app that helps out a lot.

And I'll put in another plug for SH: DA. Super fun game. Plays in under an hour. Some minor set up but not bad. And challenging. Give that one a gander.

Mo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
micro mantis

Illinois
msg tools
AtStapley wrote:
I'm a big time solo gamer and one of my go-to games on an unengaged game is Space Hulk Death Angel the Card Game It plays quickly and is engaging even when I'm not super mentally engaged. It's also cheap and easy to transport!

agreed. It's easy to manage once you know your teams options. What I enjoy is that each round is pretty intense but it revolves around a quick set of phases, it is quite a simple game but I think that is the beauty of it, the choice of one of two available actions per team (you cannot use that chosen action next turn) gives you something to actually think about in order to win, you have to think a few steps ahead, sometime the decision is a no brainer sometimes it is not so obvious.

It can make me antsy though when die rolls destroy careful planning......thematically I think it works very well, overall a lot of fun, games last about 35 minutes with set up about 4 mins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Northwing
msg tools
Thanks all, it seems Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game is recommended, and even though I haven't played Warhammer 40,000 since i was a teen (was some time ago) I still love the setting and feeling of that universe. Also, it was quite cheap so that's a plus.

I think I will pick up Sentinels of the Multiverse at the same time, been reading and watching reviews from it and it seems like a game I could enjoy.

Once again, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Friday, I hear it's great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Northwing
msg tools
Ah, a game solo only. I will look into that for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Northwing
msg tools
Friday seemed like a good game also.

I have now ordered Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game, Friday and Sentinels of the Multiverse

Sentinels mostly because I can't resist 500 cards. I love cards. But it truly seems like a good game.

Thanks for all the recommendations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.