Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » News

Subject: new preview up--Star Trek: Attack Wing I.R.W. Praetus/Romulan Scout Ship rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cap'n Ginger
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
mbmbmbmbmb
http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2013/10/02/star-trek-attack-win...

Star Trek: Attack Wing
I.R.W. Praetus/Romulan Scout Ship
3 of 4 Wave 1 Star Trek: Attack Wing Expansion Packs
Releases: October 2013

Hello again, Star Trek Attack Wing fans and welcome back to another sneak peek into the upcoming ships of the Wave 1 release. This week we shift our focus to the mid-22nd century and see what the I.R.W. Praetus Expansion Pack has in store for us. The first thing we notice is that this is the first deviation from the way in which ships are represented in an expansion pack. Usually we will see the unique ship have a higher shield value and a SP cost of two more points than its non-unique version. However, the I.R.W. Praetus has the exact same combat values and SP point cost as the regular Romulan Bird-Of-Prey as neither ship has any shields. What the I.R.W. Praetus does bring to the table over the non-unique version is the Cloak and Sensor Echo actions thanks to its special ability to cloak even without any active shields. This ability does come with a drawback as a player could inadvertently cause a point of damage to their hull on an unlucky roll.

[pics] Ship: Praetus Ship - Romulan Bird of Prey

The I.R.W. Praetus also provides some interesting new options to the game. The unique captain Valdore will get great use out of the nimble movement dial of the ship as his ability to add one attack die to an attack only comes into effect if he is outside of his target’s forward firing arc. This ability will team well with the Nuclear Missiles weapon upgrade which is also present in the set: having the option to reroll one blank result while adding an attack die from Valdore to increase the attack to four will make this 2 SP upgrade worth much more than its slight cost.

[pics] Captain: Valdore Card - Weapons: Nuclear Missiles

Two Tech upgrades are also included in the I.R.W. Praetus expansion that will work well on many different Romulan ships. The Polarized Hull Plating allows the player to convert 1 Critical Hit into a normal Hit which will benefit many of the Romulan ships that just love to deactivate their shields to enter cloak mode. The other Tech upgrade comes in the form of Cloaked Mines. This upgrade allows the I.R.W. Praetus to place a Minefield Token (found in the Star Trek: Attack Wing starter set) anywhere within Range 2 during the Planning Phase as long as it is not within Range 2 of an opponent’s ship. Once an enemy passes within range 1 of the token, they are going to hope that none of the three attack dice come up as hits or critical hits as they do not get to roll defensive dice to avoid the damage. Luckily, ships which perform a Scan action can react to the threat and decrease the dice roll to only 2 attack dice. It’s also nice to note that the Cloaked Mines are used as the initiating factor for the Emergency Repairs mission that comes in the expansion.

[pics] Tech: Polarized Hull Plating Tech - Cloaked Mines

With all of the above going for it (including Effect Tokens to assist players in remembering card effects), the I.R.W. Praetus Expansion Pack will enhance the choices for many Romulan players in the months to come. Its ability to impact the battle field with Cloaked Mines or serve as a secondary attacker when paired with the I.R.W. Valdore and the R.I.S Apnex will help spread the influence of the Romulan Star Empire in no time.

Come back next week as we take a look at the final ship in Star Trek: Attack Wing’s undiscovered country (that’s "the future", folks!): the I.K.S. Kronos One.

I am a big fan of more sneaky tactics for the Romulans, so Valdore's captain ability and the cloaked mines (any direction! only enemy ships!) are a really nice addition. (And by nice, I mean "nasty.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kelmelis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like the ship does not come with a mine token - you have to use the one from the main box. So if you want another mine in your fleet, you need to make sure you have a second token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Praetus looks like a swarm of mosquitoes-- easy to kill but oh so annoying and pesky. A swarm of five of these little suckers could be really irritating.

It will also be a nice (nasty) little ship to use as a mine layer to round out some builds with a couple of bigger ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
So...
The generic version of the ship can't cloak...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kelmelis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope - no cloaking for the generic. Also, only one tech slot.

I think this ship is going to be good for laying out two mines and... that's probably about it. It's too fragile to swarm with (three hull, no cloak).

Praetus might be good in the third month event - mine around the planet, cloak, and keep giving up its attack to make ground assaults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2Omega wrote:
So...
The generic version of the ship can't cloak...

Seems that way. A cloak that could damage you costs zero points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty lame that it doesn't come with a minefield token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I REALLY want to like this ship, but it looks too darn frail

-EDIT-
It might be improved with an expanded firing arc and/or zero red maneuvers... But still, a large ship should have little trouble destroying one of these per shot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
Archon313 wrote:
I REALLY want to like this ship, but it looks too darn frail

Agreed.

I almost feel that you do not buy this ship for the ship...but for the cloaked mine field.... X (times) 2.

I also almost feel that you do not even use the minefield on this ship either. You put them on another tougher ship or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Gash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
H00D4M4N wrote:
It's pretty lame that it doesn't come with a minefield token.

You would have thought they'd have included one. It wouldn't have been much of an ask to throw one on the sprue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the ship as filler (because the Valdore and D’Deridex are so costly).

I hadn't realize that this didn't come with it's own mine token though......I was hoping to get more mines out of this expansion not alternate use for the mine token(s) I already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Real shame that they didn't toss in the minefield token. That would have made it more desirable for a multi-purchase.

though it will be fun to have Valdore on the Valdore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very odd that this doesn't come with a mine token. It's almost like they only want you to buy one of this ship.

Also the mine token stays on the board the rest of the game correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
I just posted about this in the Praetus thread...

As the designer of this expansion, I did not request a Minefield Token because I didn't realize that players would be so interested in acquiring the Mines in multiples. My goal with this card was simply to create a new use for the existing Minefield Token!

The reason I bring this up now is so that people understand that this was my personal miscalculation. I am 100% sure that WizKids would have provided a Minefield Token if I had requested one.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe for the reprinted version then

But thank you for explaining it to us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't somebody just scan the mines token and upload the file as a PDF? Seems like that would solve the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty good idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
macgowan wrote:
Can't somebody just scan the mines token and upload the file as a PDF? Seems like that would solve the problem.

It wouldn't be usable in standard Tournament Play that way.......with either the Print and Play (officially from WK, and they use P&P for Heroclix) or including it in a future expansion that wouldn't be an issue.

Sure any venue can allow what they like but if it's from WKs you don't have to even ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we'll get lucky and someone from WizKids might read this and post an official Print and Play mines template on the site in the Star Trek section.... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I would rather see Wizkids include a token in the second printing, add a token (or two) in a future Romulan expansion, or give us the option of buying a token (either by itself or in a package with other tokens that could be used as replacements). I know I can make my own token, but I really dislike print and play or my own hack jobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Midwest Razorback wrote:
I would rather see Wizkids include a token in the second printing, add a token (or two) in a future Romulan expansion, or give us the option of buying a token (either by itself or in a package with other tokens that could be used as replacements). I know I can make my own token, but I really dislike print and play or my own hack jobs.

Two votes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jackowski
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe include some tokens in the OP prize support to be handed out and let others pay a small shipping fee and maybe send in their Praetus UPC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who needs all that. Just:
1) Buy a Star Trek CCG card (or other like game) and clip it to the desired dimensions
2) Use your printer. Find a picture you like and print it on thick cardstock.

Problem solved with very little cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, I think we finally have a use for the empty space on this:

I plan on tracing the mine token onto this space (can fit two) and cutting them out with an exacto.

Just need to decide what to use to represent the mines themselves... I kind of would like to find small stickers that look mine-ish rather than painting directly on the token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: I just uploaded an official Print and Play Minefield Token for use in casual and tournament play. I'll announce once it's approved by BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.