Frank Jones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my group got this game fairly recently and everyone agrees that they like the game, HOWEVER, the OL always wins. This is leading to our group not liking it so much. So I'd like to share some overview of our campaign play and feel free to critique what we're doing wrong or terrible strategy, or any comment such as you guys all suck

So I play OL because I like screwing over the heroes, and I can't tell if I plan too well and they don't or if the OL is just over powered.

There are only 3 of us in our group, so I play OL and there are 2 heroes.

So one of the Heroes is Grisban the Thirsty(beserker), and the other is Jain Fairwood(wildlander).
Grisban has whirlwind in addition to starting gear and skills.
Jain has nimble in addition to starting gear and skills.
I have 1 Explosive Rune and 1 Web Trap in addition to my normal deck. (I removed all Frenzy).

We played Cardinals Plight, as the open group I chose Merriod (Merry Odd?) and I also have 2 flesh moulders.

The game starts out with my merriod blocking the exit from the ruins. Grisban runs forward around the rocks (gets tripped once) and Jain rests and moves 5 but then I use pit trap and he unluckily gets stunned). I move the merriod up to the boulders so the only way around for the heroes is to walk all the way to the edge of the board and then back. I move to one gravestone and successfully raise one zombie. Flesh moulders move to front of caravan.

Grisban attacks merriod twice and does a total of 4 damage. Jain was stunned. Merriod attacks Jain and immobilizes as well as 2 damage. Felshmoulders move into ruins. Zombie gets off the map. Successfully raise zombie.

Grisban kills merriod and moves towards flesh moulders. Jain runs past flesh moulders to front of caravan.

Flesh moulders follow jain and attack 4 damage total from both (gets converted to fatigue). Fail to raise zombie.

Grisban enters hallway/pathway. Jain moves and searches one token (not key). Flesh moulders attack jain 3 damage total (maxes fatigue). Successfully raise third zombie. Second zombie leaves board. Respawn Merriod at entrance.

Jain moves to other two search tokens, attacks and kills regular flesh moulder. Grisban moves twice to be in front of door when it opens next turn. Flesh moulder attacks jain, miss. Merriod moves twice to end of ruins. Raise last zombie. Third zombie one move action away from exit.

Jain searches twice and opens door. Grisban runs in and whirlwinds newly raised zombie and Lord Merrick. Kills zombie does 3 damage to merrick. Third zombie leaves map and scenario over with 3 zombies for OL.

Encounter 2
Choose goblin archers to be in chapel close to exit, Shadow Dragon on stairs (not on board yet) with rune key. Barghests in tomb (not on board yet) with normal search token. Master zombie as on board and same with cardinal. 3 bonus zombies surround the corner closest to the door of the cardinal.

Grisban tries to run forward but tripwire (only moves 4 total). Jain moves slightly forward and kills master goblin archer. Zombies shift to leave opening for master to shamble up and attack, then all zombies attack total of 8 damage. Goblin archers spread and attack grisban total of 4 damage.

Jain runs past archers heading for stairs. Grisban whirlwinds and does a rage attack killing one goblin and leaving the other with 1 health. Zombies attack doing 7 damage (15 damage total). Goblin archer moves around altar towards tomb and attacks jain for 1 damage.

Grisban moves to alter and heals the cardinal for 5 and rests. Jain runs down and falls one action short of opening door for stairs. Zombies attack doing only 5 damage. Goblin archer attacks grisban for 2 damage.

Jain opens door to shadow dragon and attacks (instead of search idk why) and misses. Grisban heals cardinal for 1. and moves to goblin archer. Zombies attack and kill cardinal.

Any tips for heroes on how to improve. Was it superior monster selection, poor skill choice early on, poor hero choice? Any tips are welcome for either side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The two-hero game is balanced in favor of the overlord. I'd recommend having each of your hero players control one extra hero, bringing it to a four-hero game, and see how that suits you. It's a bit more to keep track of, but there aren't any mechanical reasons why you can't do it.

Secondly, Cardinal's Plight is probably the most difficult Act I quest for the heroes (since the errata nerfed Castle Daerion). So basically, the choices you have made as a group (and not necessarily the tactical decisions of the heroes) have made for a more difficult game for the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Luxembourg
Luxemburg City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The night we played it, we where 3 players and we first played with 1 hero each. The game was really balanced to the OL. We made a second game right away with 2 heroes per player and it improved for everyone (heroes won narrowly). On the first game the OL player was not having fun trashing the heroes around almost all the turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try switching the overlord player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branimir Dinkov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Without healer, the heroes are doomed! Avric will be good choice, because he also is a strong warrior. As second hero choice IMHO must be one from summoner classes: Necromancer, Geomancer or Beast Master.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grisban is horrbile imho : D

But yeah, like Darren said 3player games favor the OL slightly and Cardinals plight is probably the most OL favored map in act 1

Our group played a 5 player campaign where the heroes won every single map,but Cardinals plight...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. So it seems that everything was going against heroes before they even started playing. I guess we'll try giving them each an additional hero and see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I want to know what the hell he is doing right because I am finding it rather difficult to win as OL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a large part is that as the OL I was focusing on the mission and the Heroes were focusing more on killing everything which then respawned and so on. It was a combination of setup against the heroes and the heroes not being very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.