1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Whizzard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tikkchik Fen TikkTikk
msg tools
Anyone using Whizzard to success?

My attempts with it have been turning out to be bad Noise decks. I'm curious if it's good for anything other than a novelty laugh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
I run him like a Shaper and usually have success with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's good if you want to keep the corp poor (Account Syphon/Vamp decks).

I think you can also find some good info in this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1040078/september-manhattan-... - results from a recent tournament with top 2 using Whizzard Darwin decks, including decklists and report by runner-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was having a lot of success with him, before the school semester began. I haven't played much in the last month or so, though, so I have no idea how good he is in the current meta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herr Untergeher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's one of my favorites... actually played a Whizzard deck in our regionals...

My build right now is a mixture of digging R&D (via Medium and trashing stuff for free) and resource denial (account siphons + deja vu + same old thing + parasite + data suckers... things like that)...

If you play him like Noise you're doing something wrong... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny that Whizzard is one of the least played identities, yet I cringe more when I see him than any other runner. Whizzard is stronger than he was when he first came out. A lot of people are running asset econ (Eve, Adonis, PAD, Marked Accounts), SanSan, Jackson Howard, Hokasai, ect. Whizzard also works as a deterrent to force the corp from installing their assets unprotected, which can slow the corp down.

Maybe his best benefit is the efficiency of RnD digs. I run 3 djinn and 3 medium to ensure my dig is juicy. Whizzard is very playable, and only getting better imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
Nords3x4 wrote:
Funny that Whizzard is one of the least played identities, yet I cringe more when I see him than any other runner.

Ditto that, I feel more dread at his ability than any other, though overall I still think he's a step behind Noise.

Playing assets, especially naked financial assets, is one of the strongest moves in the corps' toolbox. Effectively shutdown when Whizzard hits the table.

I think the tag-me, credit denial archetype shines with Whizzard, especially with Anarch toys like Data Leak Reversal and Josh.B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His ID is blank against event-based economy. Currently it's pretty much only Weyland, but with Restructuring coming this cycle it might change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Armstrong
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
kroen wrote:
His ID is blank against event-based economy. Currently it's pretty much only Weyland, but with Restructuring coming this cycle it might change.

He kills upgrades. While I haven't saved as many creds with him running against event-heavy decks, I've trashed plenty of upgrades for "free" that would have cause major problems later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually have an untested idea for a virus-free Whizzard deck which feels very 'shapery' using all fixed breakers + Wyrm

It probably won't work out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TikkchikFenTikktikk wrote:
Anyone using Whizzard to success?

My attempts with it have been turning out to be bad Noise decks. I'm curious if it's good for anything other than a novelty laugh?

Some. I've been working on a deck using just Crypsis and Darwin as breakers to free up space for plenty of Mediums/Nerve Agent digs and/or card destruction using Imp/Demolition Run/Parasite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon bradford
msg tools
mbmb
I've been happy with my Whizzard lately. Between him, desparado, and datasucker it puts a lot of pressure on all servers, and then medium or nerve agent to push through wherever's weakest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Untergeher wrote:
He's one of my favorites... actually played a Whizzard deck in our regionals...

My build right now is a mixture of digging R&D (via Medium and trashing stuff for free) and resource denial (account siphons + deja vu + same old thing + parasite + data suckers... things like that)...

If you play him like Noise you're doing something wrong... ;-)

What did your deck look like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/android-net...

There is a link in the article to an older version of the deck. It is a lot of fun to play and works pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
invictus_blue wrote:
kroen wrote:

He kills upgrades. While I haven't saved as many creds with him running against event-heavy decks, I've trashed plenty of upgrades for "free" that would have cause major problems later.

I run literally one trashable card in Weyland, and that's Snare!. Between that and Archer and Grim making Mimic wet the bed at night, it's easily his worst matchup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Fetterkey
msg tools
mb
Whizzard is totally blank against many Weyland decks, and close to it against many others-- there are a lot of decks that play only Assets with trash costs between 0 and 1! That said, I *hate* seeing him with many other decks, as he makes SanSan, Adonis, etc. MUCH less appealing plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
But if someone is playing whizzard as credit denial, they should be running Forged activation orders, xanadu, imp, siphon, data leak.
That way it's not just about trashing assets, but rezzing ice out of turn, piling on cards in archives with data leak to spread the ice thin/xanadu to bump up the price (obviously data leak and xanadu don't really mix).

Credit denial is not just about trashing assets, it's just as much about forcing rezzes. No matter where the money comes from; if the corp can't spend its money where the corp likes, defences are not going to be efficient.

Mind you, I'm commenting on how I would construct a whizzard deck, I'm not saying this is more efficient than the current top decks.

Hmmmm I think that's it. I'm going to play whizzard for a couple of months and see if I can't build something fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunke wrote:
But if someone is playing whizzard as credit denial, they should be running Forged activation orders, xanadu, imp, siphon, data leak.
That way it's not just about trashing assets, but rezzing ice out of turn, piling on cards in archives with data leak to spread the ice thin/xanadu to bump up the price (obviously data leak and xanadu don't really mix).

Credit denial is not just about trashing assets, it's just as much about forcing rezzes. No matter where the money comes from; if the corp can't spend its money where the corp likes, defences are not going to be efficient.

Mind you, I'm commenting on how I would construct a whizzard deck, I'm not saying this is more efficient than the current top decks.

Hmmmm I think that's it. I'm going to play whizzard for a couple of months and see if I can't build something fun.

Don't forget Rook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
I have had a great success with siphon+dlr whizzard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Don't forget Rook.

I forgot Rook.

So what does the list of direct/indirect credit denial really look like?
Any cards that trash, force-rez, derez and force the corp to spread out their ice are needed in the following list.

What am I missing?

Anarch:
Vamp
Rook
Xanadu
Parasite
Data leak reversal*
Imp
Demolition Run
Scrubber

Criminal:
Forged Activation orders
Sneakdoor beta*
Account Siphon
Emergency Shutdown
Cortez Chip
Inside Job* (because the corp has to build even deeper fortresses)

Shaper:
Escher
Paricia

Neutral:
Kraken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
Stunke wrote:
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Don't forget Rook.

I forgot Rook.

So what does the list of direct/indirect credit denial really look like?
Any cards that trash, force-rez, derez and force the corp to spread out their ice are needed in the following list.

What am I missing?

Anarch:
Vamp
Rook
Xanadu
Parasite
Data leak reversal
Imp
Demolition Run

Criminal:
Forged Activation orders
Sneakdoor beta
Account Siphon
Emergency Shutdown
Cortez Chip
(Inside Job, because the corp has to build even deeper fortresses)

Shaper:
Escher

Neutral:
Kraken
Scrubber

scrubber is anarch.
Also you forgot creshentus.

If you consider archive treat as credit denial strategy add datasuckers + desperado. But in my opinion sneakdoor and dlr shouldn't be in this list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
gozik wrote:
scrubber is anarch.
Also you forgot creshentus.

If you consider archive treat as credit denial strategy add datasuckers + desperado. But in my opinion sneakdoor and dlr shouldn't be in this list.

Thanks. I'll edit those.

Well desperado rewards the runner, it doesn't force the corporation's hand in any way. That doesn't mean I wouldn't run desperado, because it's a great card to entice the corp to rez more, but the effect is not as pronounced as it is with the other cards.

Datasucker is a break-in card. Not credit denial.

The point about data leak and sneakdoor is that the corp is forced to protect archives, which takes, time, clicks and money to rez. It also serves as a prime Forged Activation target because leaving archives open is clearly not an option, but the money spent on rezzing archives wont be spent on rezzing that remote you're going to break into now.
Data Leak and Sneakdoor work to create a thinner shell of ice on the servers that really matter. That takes actual resources away from the corp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
desperado + 2 datasuckers force corp to defend archives as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
gozik wrote:
desperado + 2 datasuckers force corp to defend archives as well.

You are absolutely right, but we are discussing whizzard strategies. I'm not certain I would include datasuckers necessarily. I think the suite of viruses and other programs will be too crammed to allow their inclusion, but I intend to try out a whizzard deck and see how it fares.
It's not unlikely that datasuckers will be needed. Not only to intrude but also to bump the last strength off of parasited ice.

Sadly I think criminals runs a MUCH better credit denial strategy so maybe I should think of this more as a control-deck. If the corp has to potentially consider rez cost, horizontal protection and dealing with virus counters I'd say the runner might be in a good position to control the game.

If I played criminal with the intent of denying money, I'd run desperado and datasucker as well, no doubt about it. Those two cards together means every server has to be sewn up tight. We don't disagree on that account at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
datasuckers are awesome, It's ok to play with grimoir not desperado, but I don't see any point in cutting datasuckers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.